PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sender Unit

CMCamp
November 29th, 2021, 04:57 PM
I'm having trouble locating a fuel sender unit for my 1962 K1001 Panel truck. I've called around to all the typical suppliers and it is not available. I called a supplier that specializes in fuel tanks and fuel tank components, they said it was not available and recommended I find one that is close and modify it. So I have two questions. Does anyone know where I could find the correct sender or does anyone know of one that is close that I could modify. Appreciate the help.

AZKen
November 29th, 2021, 07:33 PM
You will probably have to modify the 60-66 truck fuel sender or the 63-66 panel sender. The flange and it's bolt pattern are usually all the same, the ohms are the same, but you will have to shorten/modify the pick up tube and the float wire. Don't install into tank until tested with gauge. Don't know why the 63-66 panel sender is different than 60-62 panel sender.
https://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-Gas-Tank-Sender-Unit-Panel-Suburban/productinfo/23-528B/
https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66-Gas-Tank-Sending-Unit/productinfo/23-527/

There is a universal sender also: https://www.classicparts.com/1931-66-Universal-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-30-Ohm/productinfo/23-522A/...NO FUEL PICK UP TUBE!!! It could be added however.

Do you have the old sender?

FetchMeAPepsi
November 29th, 2021, 08:18 PM
On my 62 I used part number 32-4015 from LMC trucks.

AZKen
November 29th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Cecilia is a truck though, right? He has a Panel.

FetchMeAPepsi
November 30th, 2021, 01:08 AM
Cecilia is a truck though, right? He has a Panel.
Ah, I didn't know there was a difference in the sending units from truck to panel. My bad!
:teehee:

CMCamp
November 30th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the sending unit from classicparts.com. When it gets here I will post the differences between it and the original sending unit. Now on to the next challenge, finding a 1.25” ID fuel filler neck hose.

BTW, love the RedGreen quote.

ilvracn
November 30th, 2021, 04:13 PM
try TANKS, online ithey specialize in fuel tanks. they will have your hose

CMCamp
December 1st, 2021, 09:38 PM
I ordered the hose. Had to buy 3 feet, only need 8.25". So if anyone needs some filler hose, give me a shout.

CMCamp
December 6th, 2021, 08:35 PM
Let me close this thread out. I ordered the closest sending unit I could find, since one for a '62 panel truck was made of unobtainium. It came today. It is for a '63 to '66 Panel/Suburban. It appears to be dimensionally identical to my old one. The major difference is that the old one has a flange with bolt holes for mounting to the tank. The new has a flange that compresses an O-ring. I would guess that it mounts under some sort of ring. I will reuse my old flange and attach it to the lower portion of the new sender unit.

FetchMeAPepsi
December 6th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Let me close this thread out. I ordered the closest sending unit I could find, since one for a '62 panel truck was made of unobtainium. It came today. It is for a '63 to '66 Panel/Suburban. It appears to be dimensionally identical to my old one. The major difference is that the old one has a flange with bolt holes for mounting to the tank. The new has a flange that compresses an O-ring. I would guess that it mounts under some sort of ring. I will reuse my old flange and attach it to the lower portion of the new sender unit.

Can you post some pictures of the parts?

CMCamp
December 7th, 2021, 01:40 PM
Here you go. You can see the difference in the mounting flange. Also, the float protrudes on the opposite side. This does not appear to present any interference problem.

James
December 7th, 2021, 04:56 PM
Here you go. You can see the difference in the mounting flange. Also, the float protrudes on the opposite side. This does not appear to present any interference problem.

Look like you could flip the float around if it did interfered with anything.

Maybe the 63-66 Panel/Suburban fuel tank might fit your panel truck, if you ever needed one.

AZKen
December 7th, 2021, 07:30 PM
I don't see the float protruding on the opposite side? What do you mean? Also, is it possible to drill mounting holes in the new flange ?
Maybe squeeze the new flange flat in a vise, so as not to hammer on it much. Then drill. Unbolt the black strap from the flange during flattening process if needed.

James
December 7th, 2021, 08:48 PM
I don't see the float protruding on the opposite side? What do you mean? Also, is it possible to drill mounting holes in the new flange ?
Maybe squeeze the new flange flat in a vise, so as not to hammer on it much. Then drill. Unbolt the black strap from the flange during flattening process if needed.

The old float is pointing up. The new one is pointing down. The look like the float just snap onto the arm.

AZKen
December 7th, 2021, 11:17 PM
OK I see. As he said that will make no difference.

CMCamp
December 8th, 2021, 12:15 PM
Well, I thought I had successfully sourced the fuel filler neck hose. Nope! I received an order update shifting the delivery date to 5/22/2022. Cancelled that order and took a different approach. I searched suppliers to the petroleum industry and in no time I found RMA Class A hose with the required 1-1/4" ID for less than half the price. I bought it from www.processhose.com

LEWISMATKIN
December 11th, 2021, 06:35 PM
if this falls through, go to NAPA. their p/n for this hose in nbh 1034 and it is cut and sold by the foot.