PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Knobs to use OEM Choke on new cable?

EBasil
May 7th, 2022, 06:32 PM
So, I have a Holley choke leading to my Stromberg carb, and all that works fine. HOWEVER, I have come into possession of an OEM choke cable and knob that I'd much prefer to have in the dash of my old working '64.

I did a search on this topic: https://6066gmcclub.com/search.php?searchid=12654

I didn't find an answer to an idea posed a few times: who/how to swap a new cable and/or housing onto the OEM knob. Do you know how it's attached? How would you do it? Do you know of anyone who's done it and can show or discuss?

https://6066gmcclub.com/album.php?albumid=376&pictureid=4600

EBasil
May 7th, 2022, 06:38 PM
https://6066gmcclub.com/album.php?albumid=376&pictureid=4600

AZKen
May 8th, 2022, 01:02 AM
Post good pics of the OEM items.

EBasil
May 8th, 2022, 06:17 AM
It took a hard look before I figured out how to make that photo display. The OEM knob is on that cable, but I can't figure out how.

AZKen
May 8th, 2022, 06:37 AM
Why do you want to remove the knob?

1. If OEM cable is too short, reroute it till it reaches.
2. If OEM will not reach by using a different firewall hole and/or reroute, report.
3. Post several pix of the other cable and knob. Advise if that other knob is removable.
4. What is your level of tinker/dinker? Are you handy with tools and such.
5. Post pics of the present attachment method to carb.

I may have an idea

Jim A
May 8th, 2022, 04:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Why do you want to remove the knob?"
I know.

Prowbar
May 9th, 2022, 06:02 AM
It might be screwed on?

EBasil
June 18th, 2022, 08:09 PM
Unresolved, but here's where I am after consulting other home mechanics and Dave Welch from Brother's: we can't get the knob off the cable without destroying the knob.

AZKen
June 19th, 2022, 01:02 AM
Sounds like you have bypassed us while we were on our way to helping you. We may have a little more experience than Dave Welch or a home mechanic. Good luck.

Prowbar
June 19th, 2022, 06:26 AM
Unresolved, but here's where I am after consulting other home mechanics and Dave Welch from Brother's: we can't get the knob off the cable without destroying the knob.

Hmm. What if you were to buy a wiper switch knob, remove the spring clip and glue in (for example with JB weld) a small turned adapter (a sleeve that fits into the wiper knob and has a smaller hole for the choke cable)

EBasil
June 20th, 2022, 12:37 AM
Sounds like you have bypassed us ...
Well, maybe, maybe not. This particular "take off" choke cable is seized somewhere in the coiled housing, and is too short to reach my OEM Stromberg carb, so I am next going to zip the end off, progressively shorter, until I can draw the cable out of the housing, or the housing off the hard-piped section that secured to the dash. Once I get it apart, I may yet be able to benefit from your insight.

EBasil
June 20th, 2022, 12:39 AM
Hmm. What if you were to buy a wiper switch knob, remove the spring clip and glue in (for example with JB weld) a small turned adapter (a sleeve that fits into the wiper knob and has a smaller hole for the choke cable)

This might be a great idea! :upyes:

AZKen
June 20th, 2022, 04:05 AM
If you would have responded, not waited 5 weeks, answered my questions and noticed I said I had an idea, I may have helped you. If you don't answer questions and work with me, If you do anything to either cable, I can't help you. Remember we are at our house and can't see or know much detail. So we ask and slowly see the total picture. I always get all the info I can before I spell out a plan or idea. Your problem is you are full of "can't do's" and are ignoring most posts. VERY BAD APPROACH.
We began helping you the same day you posted. Then the next day. You came back 5 weeks later telling us no one can help you.

Sonic65
June 20th, 2022, 04:42 AM
If you would have responded, not waited 5 weeks, answered my questions and noticed I said I had an idea, I may have helped you. If you don't answer questions and work with me, If you do anything to either cable, I can't help you. Remember we are at our house and can't see or know much detail. So we ask and slowly see the total picture. I always get all the info I can before I spell out a plan or idea. Your problem is you are full of "can't do's" and are ignoring most posts. VERY BAD APPROACH.
We began helping you the same day you posted. Then the next day. You came back 5 weeks later telling us no one can help you.

AZKEN, I understand your frustration. But lashing out at members (like you have a habit of doing) will not help our cause. People reach out to this group seeking help/answers. I know of multiple "newbies" who left this group because of your rash comment's. Not everyone is on your "brain wavelength". I have been a member of this group back in the Yahoo Group days....let's keep these trucks on the road, no matter what questions are asked. You have a vast vault of knowledge..share it kindly

AZKen
June 20th, 2022, 04:57 AM
WRONG! John, I can't share until I get info. If a person places a question and then goes off for 5 weeks to "experts" and does not respond to members, it's rude, wrong approach, and I tell them that. I'm not someone's baby sitter. I'm not typing to help and then get that type of treatment. Call it what you want. Pull up your big boy pants. Don't tell me someone left because of me. That is an attack on me with no basis. No context. Keep those comments "kindly" to yourself. The only "habit" I have is helping those who treat responders with respect. I don't care how long you have been on here. (10 months before me) Doesn't give you the right to step in and make remarks about my character. If you have constructive help to this poster, then lets hear it. Don't just troll all the time. I'm trying to help and begging for info.
I am not frustrated, the poster is frustrated. That makes me stay with him. I have explained my thinking to him. He either will get my point and we can be friends or he can tell me no thanks.

Prowbar
June 20th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Ken, the fact was that the poster did not receive a reply with the correct answer for a month. He then consulted someone else. That is fine, it is his part and his time. He might need to get it done quickly.

EBasil: Good luck. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

AZKen
June 20th, 2022, 10:02 AM
He did not get the correct answer? Really? That's your take on this? I was ready to give an answer/suggestion within one day. I've waited 6 weeks for some info. You think it's OK for a newby to slap the same question all over the internet and never come back to them? A "member" simply ignoring a response from a member? Not getting an answer ANYWHERE then comes back with "Unresolved"........"OK boys keep trying and I'll be back. Don't have time for your silly home mechanic questions".

I know that info needs to be collected to give the best answer to a problem. I still have a good idea, but it depends on a few pieces that he can provide. This does not seem to be getting thru here. I reacted the same day. The questions I needed answered were asked the same day. You can't get an answer faster than that if you respond to a few questions. It seems that they were ignored. My 50 years as a Mechanical Design Engineer solving problems after problems, have taught me to understand all parts of the situation so as to zero in on an answer quickly without bouncing a bunch of hunches off the wall. This is just a choke cable but I thought it was important to him. I was very cordial until I was ignored. Anyone else want to pile up on me?

I'm not going to defend the righteous side of this anymore. You fellow members have made me defend, keep posting, which makes the poster feel like they have created a situation and a big argument, then quit, and then you blame me....and as you know, you have probably encouraged him to attack me instead of giving the answers and begin a fix. It's OK for you to instruct me how to proceed on the forum but not OK for me to instruct a new guy how to proceed? monitor his post, don't ignore questions, don't terminate my offer to help with "it can't be done".

There not many actual questions, some suggestions, some requests

Jim A
June 20th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Ken, if you look back at the first page, you will find your initial response: "Why do you want to remove the knob?"
To that, I responded: "I know."
I knew because EBasil stated it in the first paragraph of his post.
I thought at the time that we were off to another testy series of your abrasive comments.
I hoped I was wrong, but back you come now.
Sonic65 and Prowbar have tried above to break it to you gently that your approach often rankles other members here. I have tried to do the same in the past, obviously with no result.
There are no downsides to being courteous and helpful here.

EBasil
June 20th, 2022, 08:29 PM
Fellas,
As much as I desire to swap in an OEM appearing choke cable, this particular project is behind work, working with the GMC as a tool (to haul debris and building supplies for a home project) and playing with the GMC at the Brother's truck show where I realized I might (and did indeed) run into gearheads including Dave Welch who could fondle (oh so gently) my choke cable and opine while jawing about our trucks.

I had no intention to either offend, or to be lectured, in relation to my sporadic internet time. I would note that this is not the only "owner/afficionado group" I am in on the intarwebz, and that YOUR responses, Ken, contain way more heat than light. If you feel that's an unfair attack, just know that it's laser-****-guided right. My skin is thick, however: no hard feelings.

I'll get this thing figured out someday. Maybe not this week or next, because I have some aux reverse light wiring to debug, an oil change and the first steps in reupholstering the bench to consider. It will happen, though.

I would also note that Dave Welch from Brother's used to run a GM/Chevy junk yard and did invite me up to Corona to dig through his piles in case there's a useable choke cable in there. That might be fun, in general, and might generate the simplest solution although I will likely get another lecture from Dave about my split rims...

Prowbar
June 20th, 2022, 09:08 PM
Fellas,
As much as I desire to swap in an OEM appearing choke cable, this particular project is behind work, working with the GMC as a tool (to haul debris and building supplies for a home project) and playing with the GMC at the Brother's truck show where I realized I might (and did indeed) run into gearheads including Dave Welch who could fondle (oh so gently) my choke cable and opine while jawing about our trucks.

I had no intention to either offend, or to be lectured, in relation to my sporadic internet time. I would note that this is not the only "owner/afficionado group" I am in on the intarwebz, and that YOUR responses, Ken, contain way more heat than light. If you feel that's an unfair attack, just know that it's laser-****-guided right. My skin is thick, however: no hard feelings.

I'll get this thing figured out someday. Maybe not this week or next, because I have some aux reverse light wiring to debug, an oil change and the first steps in reupholstering the bench to consider. It will happen, though.

I would also note that Dave Welch from Brother's used to run a GM/Chevy junk yard and did invite me up to Corona to dig through his piles in case there's a useable choke cable in there. That might be fun, in general, and might generate the simplest solution although I will likely get another lecture from Dave about my split rims...

Split rims... Dave sure seems like a decent guy. I have only seen him on the Brother Trucks videos where he does a lot of rust repair. Brother Trucks however... haven't heard a lot of good about them.

AZKen
June 20th, 2022, 11:18 PM
Jim, it was a totally innocent question with no negative intent. Although you think he said why in first paragraph, he did not. I was wondering if it was too long or too short or the dash mounting was wrong or what. So I could understand. Different reasons would have different remedies possibly. It took 5 weeks to say it was too short and stuck.

Unicorn
July 8th, 2022, 10:05 PM
EBasil,

I know I'm new to the site and I am looking for a lot of answers myself; I understand where you are coming from. I too am planning on reusing as many original parts as I can on my 4X4.
Have you tried soaking the cable in White Vinegar? I wouldn't soak the knob, but the cable should work pretty good to loosen up the rust. Just watch a few videos on what to do afterword's to stop it from flash rusting.

Prowbar
July 9th, 2022, 08:28 AM
Here is a picture of my OEM choke cable, you can see it is glued on.

EBasil
July 18th, 2022, 08:20 PM
Well, I haven't forgotten this quest, but I am busy hauling soil, fill dirt, bricks and debris with the truck... too darn tired to worry about upgrades and restoration. Scuffed a hunk out of the bed recently...been crying a lot. Ho ho

Jim A
July 19th, 2022, 05:27 PM
While your truck is looking forward to a matching choke knob, I 'll bet it is enjoying being used for what it was built.
Pat and patch its wound for us.