6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47932)

GMCDAC June 30th, 2014 04:45 AM

Re: 12" Dia Hubcaps

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 53945)
Foley is also looking for a set of these 12" dia hubcaps... Please let him know if you have any extras or see any on the web for sale.

Hi Clarke, Foley told me today that he has some located in Springfield, MO that he is going to buy but I will let him tell the story when he can. He got a chuckle when I showed him these on my 3/4 ton, but even in the condition they are in he had to look close. They are "bowtie" caps but I couldn't stand to put them on a GMC so about 10 years ago I made stickers to cover it up, even though this truck is a '72 with a smallblock! Looks like it's time to make some more stickers.

Thanks for that pic, I wasn't sure how that outer black was painted on them since it is gone on these.

DAC

BarryGMC June 30th, 2014 05:38 AM

Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Togethers

Let's see some pics of that truck and camper David.

Nate July 1st, 2014 12:25 AM

Dave Clarke's neat engine
http://i58.tinypic.com/9kp44j.jpg
Bob's Suburban
http://i59.tinypic.com/21m5c83.jpg
Dave's GMC and trailer
http://i58.tinypic.com/345ezvn.jpg

Nate July 1st, 2014 12:29 AM

I am not so good at the above photo posting with comments but I have more pics if you folks would like to see more

FetchMeAPepsi July 1st, 2014 11:22 PM

Great pics nate! More please! The picture beast is hungry today :lolsmack2:

RustyNut July 2nd, 2014 12:34 AM

Sorry took so long to post.

Sorry I have no pics to share, I found out the morning I left St Louis my camera was kaput. Son used it last on his worldwind tour of the east coast a couple of months ago.

In my opinion, things went well.....

Great setting: The gazebo was a definate plus!!!!! Beat the **** out of standing on an asphalt parking lot all day with NO shade (Did that the day before at the Car Show in St Charles). Oh by the way my '78 GMC took 1st place in the truck division!!!!

Weather: No rain!!!!! Sunny & warm but the gazebo and the breeze made things very tolerable.

Good Food: Maybe bratwurst and salsizza's are just a Midwest thing. Either folks liked them or was just being polite when they said they liked them. The sausages, slaw, veggie tray, chips, brownies & watermelon (sorry if I forgot anything) made for a perfect Sunday afternoon picnic/lunch. Not overwhelming but noone went hungry. Minimal leftovers were taken by attendees so nothing went to waste.

Trucks: It was great to see a true survivor like Bob (now Ed's 'burb). And Dave's (?) truck and camper was very cool. I am sure they both get looks & thumb's up when they drive these trucks down the highway.

I am sorry, but I am terrible @ names but I want to thank everyone that made the effort to attend this meet. And thanks to all that brought food for the meal. Special shout out to Ed's brother for renting the gazebo and going back home to get a grill. Wasn't sure how I was gonna grill the meat when I showed up and there was no grill......

It was nice to see Ed again, and a pleasure to meet his dad and brothers. It was also great to meet new folks. Like I have stated numerous time everyone truly seemed to be "Good People".

EVERYONE here should make an attempt to organize one of these "Mini-Meets". You never know who might show up. This one in south Kansas brought folks from California, Oregon, Kansas & Missouri.

Ed Snyder July 2nd, 2014 01:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures for Fetch's "picture beast".

#1 shows Dave "Rusty Nut" Schlager and Nate (sorry -- didn't get your last name) standing in the rear, David Clarke, Pete Snyder, and Bob Currie aka "Foley" seated looking at photos of Ed's 62 Suburban and Nate's big winch truck

#2 left to right: David Clarke, Nate, Bob Snyder, Bob Currie, Dave Schlager, Ed Snyder

#3 Bob Snyder watching David trying to take a photo of Bob's hand throttle linkage

#4 David's awesome travel trailer

When you get ambitious, David, you'll have to start a thread telling everybody about the details of your trailer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I heard you say you started with a 1953 chassis, did 25 CAD drawings, and have done nearly all the construction yourself. I think somebody in Missouri made the siding for you, and you found a few old trim items on eBay. It's self-contained with black and grey holding tanks. Let me know when it's done so I can come and take a closer look and more photos!

I also took lots of photos of the one ton Suburban. When I get time I should start a separate thread with descriptions too.

I'm sure you all know that you can click on any of these "thumbnails" to see an enlarged version of the photo.

BarryGMC July 2nd, 2014 02:49 AM

Dave I need to see some more of the camper. That's cool.

Clarke July 2nd, 2014 03:34 AM

Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Together - Camper Before Pics

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53969)
Dave I need to see some more of the camper. That's cool.

Hello Barry...

I've been looking for an old camper to pull behind the GMC for about 3 or 4 years. I was having a hard time finding an interior floor plan and wood finish that I liked, so I decided to design my own. Well... except for the exterior, I gotta a little help from a cartoon sketch on a beer bottle label.

I was on a motorcycle trip last fall in northern MO and looked at a '63 Winne (see attached pictures), but I only wanted the frame, axle and bathroom door knob (which had a bronze like finish, so I had it chromed). I paid $500 for the frame and axle (he threw in the bathroom door knob for free; LOL). And, no... I didn't tow it back with my two wheeler. :)

I'll post pictures of the nearly completed camper on the next thread.

Clarke July 2nd, 2014 04:00 AM

Re: Mini-Meets/Get-Together - Camper After Pictures

2 Attachment(s)
I took these pictures before I installed the baby moon hub caps and the alum door and windows rain gutters.

Notice the wheel well matches the rear GMC cutout; except for Bob's (Ed's) burb, he didn't like the stick cut out, so he cut his out to match the front (for bigger tires). I also added a 3" lift to the rear leaf spring shackles to lift the whole camper up, so I could run larger tires and gain more ground clearance.

For the most part, the creases in the siding match on all four sides. Even the creases in the front window chip guard align. No creases were added where the painted stripes are... I figured this would give it more of a custom look.

I just had it weighed the other day and the empty weight is 2,600 lbs. I did install an electric brake controller under the column and it works good; I can lock those camper tires up. I also installed repro backup lights on the truck and a hidden set under the camper bumper to light up the ground, for setting up a night.

The rear camper bumper also has a custom built in 2" X 2" receiver in the center of the 3" bumper channel.

I'll post some interior pictures on the next thread.