6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Member, 1966 GMC Longbed Barn-Find (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47666)

AndrewJoey July 23rd, 2013 04:40 PM

Re: New Member, 1966 GMC Longbed Barn-Find

Here's some pics of the lowering process. This thing had serious leaf-spring suspension. 10 leafs with 4 being overload. I took 6 per side out, and it still is pretty stiff. The ride is better though.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Had to thread another 2" in order to put it back together.

tommyduncan July 23rd, 2013 07:31 PM

Looks good! What size wheels are those? The 62 I just bought has 16.5"s and I would love to go to 16"s if they clear the stock brakes?

donrm July 23rd, 2013 08:28 PM

I used to have a Body Shop & was in the trade for more than 30 years before I retired. I do my own stuff & family now. Anyway, to keep that fine patina look, if it is kept outside, you may want to Clear coat the whole truck. If you don't use spray cans & use a spray GUN wherever you get your clear ask for some flatner, so it won't make the rust look shiny. My 2 cents. donrm Cinti Oh 66 GMC 351E cinti oh

FetchMeAPepsi July 23rd, 2013 11:06 PM

Like you had to ask about more pix! That's a great looking truck. I really like that you pulled off the rust and kept the primer clean. Like Don says you can flat clear coat it and it'll last for years.

Great find man. Take good care of her! If you dont have a build thread going (cant be bothered to scrool and see what forum this is lol) start one and let us see the progress as you did what you did and move forward.

Any more plans or are you ready to drive the wheels off?

Funky61 July 23rd, 2013 11:54 PM

That's an awesome truck...Welcome!

AndrewJoey July 23rd, 2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49473)
Like you had to ask about more pix! That's a great looking truck. I really like that you pulled off the rust and kept the primer clean. Like Don says you can flat clear coat it and it'll last for years.

Great find man. Take good care of her! If you dont have a build thread going (cant be bothered to scrool and see what forum this is lol) start one and let us see the progress as you did what you did and move forward.

Any more plans or are you ready to drive the wheels off?

Thanks guys. It's ready to drive, I think if I run it, the kinks will work themselves out. I stained the wood planks today and will put in the bed tomorrow.

AndrewJoey July 24th, 2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 49467)
Looks good! What size wheels are those? The 62 I just bought has 16.5"s and I would love to go to 16"s if they clear the stock brakes?

The original rims were 16 split-rims, so I found these in a junkyard and cleaned'm up and bomb-canned'm. They are also 16s.

AndrewJoey July 24th, 2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJoey (Post 49479)
The original rims were 16 split-rims, so I found these in a junkyard and cleaned'm up and bomb-canned'm. They are also 16s.

Here's the old Ford Van I got the rims from.

tommyduncan July 24th, 2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJoey (Post 49480)

Here's the old Ford Van I got the rims from.

Nice! I forgot to mention I need to find 16"s that the stock hubcaps will work on since I still have them. Hopefully not too difficult?

AndrewJoey July 24th, 2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 49488)
Nice! I forgot to mention I need to find 16"s that the stock hubcaps will work on since I still have them. Hopefully not too difficult?

Ya, these won't work with my original hubcaps.
So mine will go on the garage wall.