6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Spark Setup! Any tips on Installation? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49644)

bigblockv6 October 13th, 2016 02:12 AM

Re: New Spark Setup! Any tips on Installation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 64073)
Greetings fellow club members!!

Regarding Champion spark plugs, stay away from them if at all possible!! On the farm we had a Farmall M tractor that would develop a misfire. After changing spark plugs, it wasn't only about 10 operating hours later, and it would be misfiring again, but never on the same cylinder. Please note that the engine DID NOT BURN OIL, so oil fouling of the plugs was not the problem. We installed Champion D-23 spark plugs, (hottest ones available) and the misfire continued to persist. So I asked a good friend of mine (tractor mechanic) what on earth could be causing our problem, and he asked me what plugs we were using, and when I told him Champions, he said throw those dam* things in the garbage!! They're junk!! We went to AC plugs, and never had a problem after that with our problem misfire!!

George I fully agree with you on that! Champion plugs have been garbage for over 35 years:ahhhh:

turbobill October 13th, 2016 11:56 AM

Champions were garbage 40 years ago when I worked for Ford.

ilvracn October 13th, 2016 02:25 PM

when i worked for gm garage, some of the new cars came with ac delco, and some with ngk from factory. i was told that they are the same manufacturer. i now have good luck with both brands. champion plugs do not work well in gm vehicles. they seem to work in dodges, but if you look up the definition of dodge in the dictionary, it says, to dodge, to avoid. good enough for me

TJ's GMC October 13th, 2016 08:12 PM

I've noticed the Champs work best on Briggs and Stratton motors.
NGK and AC's seemed good on GM's.
I've seen a fair share of champs on f%%ds to.

jagarra October 13th, 2016 10:11 PM

I have been using NGK plugs for close to 50 years on my cars and motorcycles. Never had a failure, which I cannot say for Champion or ACs. I only use Champions or AC if I cannot find a cross reference.

As far as wires, Summit used to make a kit that had really long boots that were molded to the wire, they were solid wire,8mm silicon even came with a crimping tool for the distributor cap end so they could be trimmed to fit perfectly.

GBCustoms October 14th, 2016 12:50 AM

Thanks for the plug info. I pulled the original dizzy and got the gear moved over to the new HEI unit. If anyone else orders one of these, getting the retainer pin thru both sides of the gear can be a lil tricky. Going to stick the new dizzy this weekend and hopefully start this beast up for the first time in a couple of years!:upyes:

Will Post pics as soon as I get it in.

TJ's GMC October 14th, 2016 02:01 AM

Meant to ask, you mind posting a link as to where you got the dizzy?

GBCustoms October 14th, 2016 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 64093)
Meant to ask, you mind posting a link as to where you got the dizzy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371697398453...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

TJ's GMC October 14th, 2016 03:14 PM

I should have known. haha Didn't recognize that one, way different from the picture.

GBCustoms October 18th, 2016 03:38 PM

Got all the dizzy in, but still wouldnt start. After a lil looking the PO had the fuel lines reversed at the pump! So now I have fuel, but all I get are pops and backfires every so often while trying to start it. Any suggestions as to next step? This may need a different thread.