6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Jolly's New Job ~ Old School Auto & Garage. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47478)

raycow May 14th, 2013 03:12 AM

Re: Jolly's New Job ~ Old School Auto & Garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjaz (Post 48720)
I carry around a 1954 Franklin half-dollar in my coin pocket, and when somebody (young) sees it, they say something like, "Wow! That's pretty cool! What is that?"
:poke:

Now you just hit on something that I have been wondering about for quite a while. What the heck happened to half dollars? I know they were common at least into the 1960s and had JFK on them after Franklin. However, I can't remember the last time I saw one, even in a cash register. They are probably scarcer now than $2 bills.

Ray

FetchMeAPepsi May 14th, 2013 03:20 AM

Ray,

I just had my Powder Puff mechanic (see my build thread) lose a tooth and we were talking about coins for teeth. She said she wished the tooth fairy would bring her a silver dollar coin instead of a dollar bill. I looked all over town to find a $1.00 coin that wasn't that (spelling) Sack-O-Jaweah coin or a susan B anthony. Never found one at all at 11 different banks here and in the next town.

I ended up having one teller say they had four silver dollars, I said I'd buy them all. She took my $4.00 and sent me four 50 cent pieces. I had to school her on the value of a dollar going down LOL. She sent my $2.00 back and was very embarassed!

Jeff in St. Louis May 23rd, 2013 02:00 PM

I wonder if the Pertronix ignitor setup would survive the EMF blast? :unsure: Probably have bigger problems than what to drive anyway. But - ditto on the younger guys not having a clue what to do with a carb or a set of points, and I'm talking about the professionals in the shops. I am afraid to think of what the next owner of these old trucks and cars will do when they have a problem! :ahhhh:

6066gmcguy May 23rd, 2013 10:52 PM

an ElectroMagnetic Pulse or EMP, The abrupt pulse of electromagnetic radiation results from certain types of high-energy explosions, such as a nuclear explosion, or from a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly changing electric fields and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges.

In Most cases as long as the electrical/electronic systems are turned off they should not receive any damage.

At some point I'm betting we will HAVE to switch our beloved V6 engines out for what every system comes along to keep them going. be it a small nuclear engine or Warp Drive.

Now that I work with the public, I'm just amazed by how little most folks know about what is going on under the hood.