6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50727)

tbucketnut February 18th, 2022 02:21 PM

Re: 1964 GMC Model 1002 build journal

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you sir. I keep pinching myself, it is so nice to have room to work on things. Entire front clip is off now. So pleased everything came off just one bolt that got twisted off, so overall very happy. The only rust repair will be on both fenders lower patches. Core support and everything else looks great. Today will get that big lug of a V6 ready to pull.

tbucketnut February 21st, 2022 08:49 PM

Well my parade is getting rained on. My V6 is out and I've completed measuring up everything. I bought a set of main bearings last year and have connecting rod bearing too. The piston bores have a .006" ridge at the top and so it will need a .030 over bore. Problem is I have not been able to source pistons. I can get cylinder sleeves and might be able to use the stock pistons and get them knurled to fit the sleeves. My pandora's box has been opened. I'd love to keep this engine, but it is not looking too good right now. I have another 305 complete motor I picked up and it was stored inside since it was removed. I might pull that one apart and take a look see too. Right now I'm punting the football and will play defense for awhile doing some rust repair in the rockers. I love this old GMC. Having a blast.
Thanks for reading, Steve

tbucketnut March 2nd, 2022 01:51 AM

I fear the days of the GMC V6 are numbered. I have been doing extensive searches for any and everything for the 305E. As of right now, I have managed to get most all of the engine gaskets. Pistons/rings standard size and over bore are non existent. Of course I could have a set made but not wanting to spend my full engine budget on just 6 slugs. I'm on the fence about abandoning rebuilding efforts. Ive got another engine and will look at that one too.

snazzypig March 3rd, 2022 11:39 PM

Steve, Don't give up yet. I have some pistons and rings if you're interested.
I'll send you a pm.

tbucketnut March 23rd, 2022 11:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you Rolland aka snazzypig. Rolland saved the day by offering me his set of oversize 305 pistons complete with rings and wristpins. A thousand thank yous Rolland. I have met so many nice people here with top notch advice to go with. If it wasnt for Rolland my 305 engine would be dead and an off brand would of found its way into my GMC. It is not the same and it would of been a truck that I would of completed but not been in love with anymore.

The front clip is off the truck now and it is time to disassemble the front suspension and steering components. It is getting all new tie rod ends, power assist cylinder and valve. New upper and lower ball joints and A arm bushings plus front bearings and brakes.

I have some serious cleaning to do first. A leaky power steering valve collected about ten pounds of grease and dirt buildup over the last 50 or so years.

Pretty stoked to get started here. Engine is in the machine shop getting hot tanked then bored and honed, crank getting turned, then I'm doing all the assembly there.

snazzypig March 24th, 2022 03:55 AM

You're very welcome Steve. I am glad I could help with your project. Your work is top notch and I'm sure your GMC will turn out great.

tbucketnut March 24th, 2022 02:50 PM

Thank you sir, I like to put up some before pictures because once done, we tend to forget about the arduous cleaning projects these tend to be. I've been spending money like a drunken sailor again. Looking forward to a productive spring.

GMCTom March 29th, 2022 08:43 AM

Steve, don't give up!

Remembers me on my control arms. Dirt and grease everywhere. When you have cleaned and painted them the smile on your face will be big :upyes:

tbucketnut June 16th, 2022 02:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
Update:
Front end is now complete. After disassembly, seemed like I was scraping and grinding dirt off the frame and suspension components for ever. It seems progress has been at a glacial rate at best.
Happy to report that all components have been cleaned the ones small enough to fit in the glass bead cabinet, got blasted then painted. I replaced all ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, A-arm shafts as well as power steering slave cylinder and control valve/hoses. Of course bearings seals and brakes too. Also, bought a neat tool for cleaning off the rust and grime off the frame and parts, it is pneumatic and is called a needle scaler. This tool is a must if you plan on doing much of this kind of work. Better than wire wheels and doesn't make dust go airborne either.
Looks a little better now.

Now onto more work:

tbucketnut October 15th, 2022 05:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So a couple months ago I found a suitable stock bore engine that I decided to send to the machine shop along with a .040 piston to have it bored and honed too. I was lucky to find a set of main and rod bearings , so I had the crank turned too. I now have the crank and block back from the machinist and will start to assemble this motor. I post up more as I proceed. But this is what I have thus far. Also, I might add these replacement pistons have the extra compression ring and I decided to use a set of rods from a 305C motor. They are noticeably bigger stronger rods than the 305 E motor to make this bottom end bullet proof for my 1/2 ton truck.

Cheers,
Steve

tbucketnut November 26th, 2022 01:41 AM

Well I find out not all 305 blocks are created equal. This bit of info might be useful for others and should be a sticky. I thought the only difference in the 305C engine were beefier rods but I find my main bearings do not fit the main webs and cabs. It turns out my 305C replacement engine I found was casted in 1974 and the main caps and webs are different. It takes a bigger main bearing. So I now have a fully machined .020/.020 crank and main and rod bearings I cant use.

When I checked the casting date it had a year 4 which I assumed "64" but it is indeed "74" based on block casting. I got lucky and found main bearings only in .010 undersize so I had to machine another crank. Note I belive the last two years of production 1973-74 305 engines have the bigger mains. Why did they change for two years and then discontinue the engine? Things that make you go Hmmm.

lizziemeister'sV6 November 26th, 2022 01:01 PM

Just a guess but I bet it was do to an excess of excess inventory that fit the bigger V6's and corporate bean counters. :chatattable:

tbucketnut November 30th, 2022 12:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Moving right along on the V6 assembly. Block ended up .040 over on the cylinders, crank turned .010/.010 on the mains and rod journals. Cam freshened up at Delta cams along with the lifters were resurfaced. Mains came in at .0025 oil clearance, rods were in at .003 oil clearance. These pistons have the three compression rings, gaps are in at .020. Skirts were a little tighter than I liked but the machinist said it will be fine .003.
Notice the picture of the chain hoist used to lower the crank into the main bearings, these cranks are so friggen heavy.

snazzypig November 30th, 2022 03:46 AM

Looks like a first class engine build Steve. Any tips on installing the rope seal, and did you put it in dry, or soak it in oil as some people have done?

tbucketnut November 30th, 2022 01:52 PM

Hi Rolland, I did not use the rope seal that was in the FelPro kit. For the last three stovebolt inline six engine I have assembled I went with Best Gasket rear main seals. The later blocks 1955 and later I used their rubber lip seals, which are the best out there IMHO. The earlier blocks I used a rope seal provided by Olson Gasket here in Port Orchard, WA. They build obsolete gasket kits for farm tractors and obsolete vehicles of all makes and models. They advised against the newer rope seals available. The asbestos ropes are all long gone unless you have an old gasket kit, So I had them provide me with their own version of rope seal available for the 305. They advised to install dry, I used a little of "permatex 2" along the outside edge of the three sides of the bearing cap surface/block, and they also included the two skinny side bearing seals for the rear main cap to go with. I used very lightly permatex 2 on these too. Like all rear mains installs, take a deep breath and hold it and wait for the first engine run cycle. For some odd reason I don't have too much anguish over it this time. Probably just my ignorance. I'll have some pictures of your wonderful pistons shortly.

snazzypig November 30th, 2022 06:42 PM

Thanks for the great information Steve!

tbucketnut December 2nd, 2022 03:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Few more hours spent in the shop. Cam, lifters/timing gear and chain installed.
Opened up the oil pump to inspect and clean. I fully expected to do this and reassemble it but found significant scoring to the rotary gears so I will replace. You would think a pair of gears immersed in oil would not wear but it is shot. I usually replace the oil pump on all rebuilds as a rule but I saw a machinist inspect his and regasket it and run it. I'll get some pics up tomorrow on that one.
Steve

tbucketnut December 3rd, 2022 01:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Man, I got three days in a row in the shop.
Today was a long day, Bolted down the heads, rocker shafts, adjusted the valves and installed the valve covers. Degree wheel helps with rotation of the crank through the firing order. So far no hiccups with the exception of the AC plugs I bought from Rock Auto. 5 were AC-4 and the sixth AC R455XLS. What the heck?

LEWISMATKIN December 3rd, 2022 05:10 PM

your build looks great!!! keep up the good work.

tbucketnut January 4th, 2023 02:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not much work getting done on the GMC through the holidays, but did get an engine dolly built to get this heavy big block off the engine stand. I have a 4 wheel engine stand but all the time the 305 was on it getting assembled, I was constantly worried about dumping it over. Especially after the heads and huge front cover got bolted down. The dolly I built will allow the entire engine bell housing clutch and sm420 to rest easy until I'm ready to drop it in. If anyone is interested in the dolly specs pm me and I'll give you the dimensions. Cost me $50 with nice cast iron wheels rated at 300lbs each. Also, I sent my motor mounts to Steel Rubber and had new rubber vulcanized to the mounts. They do really good work for anyone wanting to know. Other than that about the only other thing was I put a kit into the stromberg WW and freshened it up, bent a new pump to carb line as well.
Cheers
Thanks in advance guys

Steve

James January 4th, 2023 08:07 AM

Great job. Can't wait to see it in your truck.

Is the rubber boot on your clutch fork new? If so what the part number and where did you get it? Thanks.

tbucketnut January 7th, 2023 03:56 PM

Yes but it doesn't fit all that well.
LMC part number 30-1920

tbucketnut January 27th, 2023 03:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Small update for me.
Sm420 all rebuilt, installed bellhousing clutch pressure plate new throw out bearing. Sitting on a dolly now until it is time to put back between the frame rails. Now back to the floor and outside/inside rockers on the passenger side.

Walys60 February 17th, 2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbucketnut (Post 76407)
Hi Rolland, I did not use the rope seal that was in the FelPro kit. For the last three stovebolt inline six engine I have assembled I went with Best Gasket rear main seals. The later blocks 1955 and later I used their rubber lip seals, which are the best out there IMHO. The earlier blocks I used a rope seal provided by Olson Gasket here in Port Orchard, WA. They build obsolete gasket kits for farm tractors and obsolete vehicles of all makes and models. They advised against the newer rope seals available. The asbestos ropes are all long gone unless you have an old gasket kit, So I had them provide me with their own version of rope seal available for the 305. They advised to install dry, I used a little of "permatex 2" along the outside edge of the three sides of the bearing cap surface/block, and they also included the two skinny side bearing seals for the rear main cap to go with. I used very lightly permatex 2 on these too. Like all rear mains installs, take a deep breath and hold it and wait for the first engine run cycle. For some odd reason I don't have too much anguish over it this time. Probably just my ignorance. I'll have some pictures of your wonderful pistons shortly.

Tbucket...GREAT information, thanks! I wasn't finding the gasket kit from anyone and these guys have the whole thing (upper and lower) and include their MUCH better rope main for $195 shipped.

tbucketnut February 17th, 2023 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been busy doing a bunch of auto repair work for extended family members and my project was on hold. No back to the passenger side inner and outer rockers, cut out and the new metal fitted nicely. Next work day I'll mig it into place. Regarding this reproduction metal, I was extremely pleased with the brothers metal. All of it fit like it was original GM stamped. Pretty impressed. I do have some left over metal I did not use if any of you guys in need of the front and rear door jamb pillars on both sides, Ill make you a smoking deal.

Glad I could help you back a little Rolland. Olson gaskets are great people and work hard to please people whom are trying to find kits. Here is a pic of your pistons in their new home.
Steve

snazzypig February 18th, 2023 04:13 AM

Wonderful work you are doing Steve! Yes, those pistons do look much better in their rightful place than in a box.

tbucketnut February 18th, 2023 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Extra Metal left over

tbucketnut May 27th, 2023 02:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hello GMC truck lovers, New update on my project. Finally got the cab lifted off the frame and set on a roll around dolly I made from some scrap steel.
The plan now is to remove the windshield because you can now stand right in front of it and remove with care.
A buddy of mine came over and he saw how far I am taking this restoration and he was puzzled over why I wouldn't remove the windshield and check and clean/paint the windshield channel.
I have to admit I am a little unorthodox on my methods. But when you are in your 60's working on something from the sixties, you have to work smarter not harder when you can.
Also with the cab off, you can see I have some more frame cleaning and painting to do where it sat.
This was also done by design because the days of me laying on my back scraping old undercoat off a body with all that dirt and grime falling in my face are over.
Next on the frame after finishing cleaning/painting is finish up building the main brake line and install on the right frame rail. Then onto the tank to fuel pump hard line. Next the finished engine and trans will then be united into the frame on some nice revulcanized motor mounts.
The cab will get pressure washed top to bottom after a manual degrime. Then the sanding and prep will begin.
Cheers guys.

tbucketnut May 31st, 2023 01:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished Chassis met with finished engine and transmission today. A huge milestone in this project.
Hopefully, this will propel me into working on the cab next.
Thanks guys for watching the journal. Hoping for weekly updates now.

Steve

tbucketnut June 2nd, 2023 04:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday update:
The gantry and chain hoist came in handy again. Eased the cab over on its back to work on the underside. Degreased with zep industrial cleaner, then wire brushed/wheel, cleaned again, then seam sealed the floor and rocker patches. Then a nice coating of rust reformer. The truck had just the minimal undercoat spray it had from the factory came out pretty clean. Today will be coating with a suitable undercoat or bedliner, will see. I'm pretty impressed with these new rust reformers.
Thanks for watching gents.
Steve

Prowbar June 3rd, 2023 03:52 PM

Steve, that is proper restoration work. My cab is fully saturated with mud and grease and asphalt...

Good job! And thanks for the sheet metal.

tbucketnut June 4th, 2023 06:22 AM

Your welcome David. Many here have helped me along my way as well. It is a really good group of people albeit small group.

tbucketnut August 7th, 2023 03:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hello GMC nuts.
Little update and some progress on the truck.
Been working on finishing the cab and getting it ready for primer. Filled all the drilled holes in the cab from a couple gun racks and other things hung on the interior over the last 60 years. My mig welder got a pretty good workout over July fixing some rust issues on the rears portion of both front fenders. The rear fender braces looked good but the rust came from all the debris trapped in the bottom of the braces on the inside of the fenders. It is a classic spot on these trucks to get cancer.
Disassembled both doors removing the side glass ,regulators and door latch mechanisms too. Found that both doors needed small patches along the bottom in the front and rear. I knew I would find it because the 5 year old paint job was bubbling in those locations. Didnt find any rot through but there were pin holes and the metal was thin there. I think the patches were only 3" by 4" in size maximum. Was able to get rust reformer in behind the patches so that should cure any possibility of that happening again. I plan on wire brushing the inner door area as much as I can get and coat it all in rust reformer then coat with a bedliner material or undercoat. Next I'll reinstall the doors on the cab and check for fit before prepping for primer.
Cheers for now.
Steve

tbucketnut August 7th, 2023 03:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And some more pics of the door

tbucketnut September 21st, 2023 03:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all:
Passenger door alittle more involved. Found rust pitting on the inside of the bottom of the outer door skin so had to do a bit more surgery. Also found some pinholes in the bottom of the door so had to buy a inner door patch as well even though I didnt use too much of it. This is it for my rust repair it is all done now. Took me longer than I thought the truck should of been in primer by now but looks like next year is the plan for paint.
PS: As you can see in the last pic, I had to take more of the bottom of the door skin to maintain the square edges. Bit more work but well worth the time. Pretty impressed with the fit of the patch panels we can get now for these trucks.

tbucketnut March 19th, 2024 01:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, weather broke here in the PNW and all my sheet metal replacement is done and it is time to primer the cab. Just had a few small dents on the back of the cab above the box that was able to take out with a hammer and dolly then skim coated some Evercoat rage filler on it. Some sanding and now ready for a couple coats of high build primer. Tomorrow, I'll wipe it down with some surface wash and squirt it out in my new airtight paint booth. Hope to post up some more pictures soon. Pray for 70 degrees!
Cheers everyone. Steve

FetchMeAPepsi March 19th, 2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbucketnut (Post 77904)
Hello all, weather broke here in the PNW and all my sheet metal replacement is done and it is time to primer the cab. Just had a few small dents on the back of the cab above the box that was able to take out with a hammer and dolly then skim coated some Evercoat rage filler on it. Some sanding and now ready for a couple coats of high build primer. Tomorrow, I'll wipe it down with some surface wash and squirt it out in my new airtight paint booth. Hope to post up some more pictures soon. Pray for 70 degrees!
Cheers everyone. Steve

:thumbsup:

Cant wait to see it after the paint! Hey, the house nextdoor to me is for sale. You can come get all the 70 degrees you can handle!