6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

aphaynes October 9th, 2014 12:19 AM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Well, I am about ready to remove this funky bumper.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

However, I have some questions about mounting the standard bumper. First, I assumed, for no apparent reason, that due to the shape of the brackets that the frame would fit between the two bracket pieces on each side. However, in this image from the 1960-1966 Chevy/GMC Truck Assembly manual, it appears that both bracket pieces sit on the outside of the frame rail. Is this correct?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Also, since my funky bumper was welded to the frame, I have to figure out how to get it off.

It is not apparent in these two pics, but they welded a cross piece between the frame rails as well which have more metal brackets welded between it and the bumper. I am hoping it is far enough back to be out of the way with the funky bumper off. Although in the second pick I am thinking the weld and splatter are interfering with what I assume to be one of the bolt holes.

Once I do get the bumper off, I am really not sure what holes to use to mount the brackets to. Does anyone have pics that show their bumper brackets mounted to the frame? ...Thanks.

aphaynes October 21st, 2014 02:47 PM

Before...

After...

GMCNUT October 21st, 2014 03:08 PM

the outside the framerail illustration you see in the assembly manual is for 60-62 X framed trucks which used flatbar type bumper brackets. In 1963 they went to the C channel type frame, and changed to stamped steel brackets which went on the inside of the C channel frame.

aphaynes October 21st, 2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 55040)
the outside the framerail illustration you see in the assembly manual is for 60-62 X framed trucks which used flatbar type bumper brackets. In 1963 they went to the C channel type frame, and changed to stamped steel brackets which went on the inside of the C channel frame.

Yes, I realized it was not correct when I stumbled on a better drawing in the same manual. I should have posted the correct picture. I will try to remember to do so when I get home. It is amazing how hard it is to find what you are looking for in that manual...especially since it really is not a GMC manual. It all mounted nicely. Thanks again for hooking me up with the bumper! :thumbsup:

aphaynes December 8th, 2014 02:01 PM

I decided to go with a wheel change. However, I kept it in the family :teehee:...2009 GMC Wheels.

aphaynes February 26th, 2015 02:30 PM

Rusty's first real snow day!

OLDTRUCKHAULER February 27th, 2015 02:04 AM

Hey, AP, How about keeping that snow down your way. These people on the beach can't drive in it.
Read your build journal and had to giggle. I ran into most all these problems over the years building my trucks of all makers. Just brought in a 65 GMC 1-1/2 ton that will have the same issues you did. And my 65 chebby stepside, a mirror image of your issues.
Again, thanks for the giggles.

Mike OTH

aphaynes February 28th, 2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDTRUCKHAULER (Post 57058)
Hey, AP, How about keeping that snow down your way. These people on the beach can't drive in it.
Read your build journal and had to giggle. I ran into most all these problems over the years building my trucks of all makers. Just brought in a 65 GMC 1-1/2 ton that will have the same issues you did. And my 65 chebby stepside, a mirror image of your issues.
Again, thanks for the giggles.

Mike OTH

:lol: My wife and daughter would have loved to have kept the snow here!

Glad you enjoyed the read. :thumbsup: I'm just a rookie learning all I can from those like you who have already been through it. This forum has been a tremendous aid in helping me keep Rusty road worthy. It may not look great, but I am having a lot of fun with it as a daily driver truck. Will your 65's have a build thread here? Hope to learn something from ya if they do! :D

OLDTRUCKHAULER March 8th, 2015 04:02 AM

Well, soon as I find a device I can work without a wrench, I'll load up some pictures of the 1502, the stepside needs to go to a different forum.
Don't know how long the GMC has sat, but I changed the points and plugs and battery, dribbled some gas down the carb, and flipped the switch. It runs pretty smooth after changing the fuel pump.
Thought I'd bring it down to ?Barnesville? If a site/date is decided on for a Southeast mini-meet, let ya'll take a look, maybe figure a few things out.

Mike OTH

GMCDAC March 9th, 2015 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDTRUCKHAULER (Post 57152)
Well, soon as I find a device I can work without a wrench, I'll load up some pictures of the 1502, the stepside needs to go to a different forum.
Don't know how long the GMC has sat, but I changed the points and plugs and battery, dribbled some gas down the carb, and flipped the switch. It runs pretty smooth after changing the fuel pump.
Thought I'd bring it down to ?Barnesville? If a site/date is decided on for a Southeast mini-meet, let ya'll take a look, maybe figure a few things out.

Mike OTH

Hey Mike, I have been a follower of Aphaynes too and like his affordable fixes.
Hoping to see a thread about yours soon. If your stepside is the "other GM brand" or anything else for that matter, there is a section here for that.

DAC