6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Patina Trucks" in the group (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48247)

Andice July 12th, 2014 08:07 PM

Re: "Patina Trucks" in the group

1 Attachment(s)
Mine certainly had some patina before the restoration.

Ed Snyder July 12th, 2014 09:52 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I hope it's OK to post a few photos of a truck to show a lack of patina. This is the '66 3/4 ton I purchased for $1000 in 1995, restored, then sold in 2003 to a guy in Meadow Vista, CA. He in turn sold it to "Reefrunner Larry" in Minnesota who's on our forum. Then Clyde in SC (also on our forum) bought it from Larry. The truck, which came off the assembly line in Fremont, CA, on 6-6-66, was factory-equipped with 351E, Turbo 400 automatic, Powr-Lok rear end, power steering, power brakes, and custom cab. It had less than 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. During the restoration process I had the frame and driveshaft shortened so I could put a short bed on it.

About the only patina on it prior to restoration was the rear bumper. The only rust we could find on it during restoration was minor surface rust under the rubber floor mat.

Albert Blue July 13th, 2014 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My '63 .. Not gonna restore. Will tidy up the mechanicals..

Albert Blue July 13th, 2014 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple more. Well one . Trouble uploading off the iPad.

Foley July 15th, 2014 07:01 PM

Very nice 63 there Albertblue. Doesn't look hardly used. Tell us about the history. If it's a Georgia truck, I'm surprised at the lack of rust in the quarters. I'll also have to say that I really like that flag you got flying there at the front of the house.

Foley,
Roots in Dublin, GA

aphaynes July 15th, 2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foley (Post 54137)
Foley,
Roots in Dublin, GA

Ha! my roots are in Savannah, GA. Just passed through Dublin on July 4th weekend on my way back from Savannah to Huntsville, AL. Construction on I-16 forced a detour through Dublin.

:threadjacked: sorry...back to Patina business!

Albert Blue July 17th, 2014 01:09 PM

Thanks, fellers. The truck was on a farm in Ty Cobb's hometown of Royston, GA for all but the last 2 years. It is a very basic truck. Didn't even come with a rear view mirror! The guy I got it from drove it a short distance to his home and mercifully left it alone save a seat cover. He had purchased a 80s generation 4x4 and was gonna do a chassis swap. Thank heavens he didn't get around to it.

The panels and paint are all original and even still have the "chalk marks" under the hood and in one wheel well. The truck was parked under a shelter which has helped with the rust. Amazingly the rockers and lower front fenders are rock solid. 73k on the clock.

My plans are to keep it as original as is safe and practical. The thing still has L78/15 "workhorse" bias ply tires on it. Prob from the '70s. I need to swap the fluids, go thru the brakes etc.. No rush for now.

BarryGMC July 18th, 2014 03:34 AM

Cool flag. And cool truck. I did not see the flag from my phone it's not clear. I pad and pop.

Albert Blue July 18th, 2014 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. Flirst Navy jack seems appropriate these days. Not to mention I was in the USN for a few years.

sodly November 17th, 2014 03:51 AM

Any more "survivor" GMCs out there?