6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   305a V6 ignition parts (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48919)

AngryPirate August 24th, 2015 04:15 PM

Re: 305a V6 ignition parts

5 Attachment(s)
Just to follow up here, so it's helpful to others in the future and they don't think they are going insane, I ran into discrepancies between what the major auto parts dealers offer and what is on my truck.

The distributor body has 'Delco-Remy 1110317 6E10' stamped on it. That hasn't found me a cap yet, but I'm going to keep digging.

The picture below comparing the caps, the one on the right is the original (to my truck). You can see that they are very different in size and fastening mechanism.

The points seems to wrong as well. I'm posting the original points I pulled.

If anyone has any pointers, it will be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to keep digging.

Thanks!

Scott

David R Leifheit August 24th, 2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 58960)
Just to follow up here, so it's helpful to others in the future and they don't think they are going insane, I ran into discrepancies between what the major auto parts dealers offer and what is on my truck.

The distributor body has 'Delco-Remy 1110317 6E10' stamped on it. That hasn't found me a cap yet, but I'm going to keep digging.

The picture below comparing the caps, the one on the right is the original (to my truck). You can see that they are very different in size and fastening mechanism.

The points seems to wrong as well. I'm posting the original points I pulled.

If anyone has any pointers, it will be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to keep digging.

Thanks!

Scott

This thread:
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-48166.html

Indicates that the distributor is probably stock since it is on another member's v6.

If I get time I'll look around and see what distributor cap/rotor that the "kid" got for his (was mine) truck. He works all day and pretty much passes out when he gets home so asking him isn't an option. :)

AngryPirate August 24th, 2015 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basically, I chased down the distributor part number on rock auto and it pointed to a distributor for a 1964 GMC 1000, but none of the caps matched the distributor (distributor had holes for screw down style cap and the caps shown for the 1964 were the type that have the arm that slides under a lip on the distributor body (wrong) ).

I dug a little further and found a distributor contact (points) that matched mine on rock auto, so I search amazon for the points part number, and low and behold, the amazon 'commonly bought together' section showed a cap that 'looks' similar to mine. I'm still doing research on this, but it looks promising.

It is nice to see that petronix or at least in this post they identify a larger and smaller distributor cap and one with a window (larger) and one without (smaller). Mine certainly doesn't have a window and is the smaller of the 2; so at least that lines up.

bigblockv6 August 24th, 2015 07:24 PM

Appears you have the later model small cap distributor which shares the same cap with Chevrolet 230. 250 and 292 inline six engines up to 1974, there shouldn't be problem finding this cap.

AZKen August 24th, 2015 10:51 PM

Good work Pirate, that's how you do it. Search and research. DON"T buy online for hard to figure out parts, especially RockAuto, they will NOT give money back because of the way you buy from them, it locks you in.

AZKen August 24th, 2015 11:20 PM

May or May not work, looks like it. The key is you can order it into store, go there with your old dizzy and see. All for free.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0413&ppt=C0334

TJ's GMC August 25th, 2015 10:52 PM

You can get a 292 cap for cheap at Napa. That's what I used on my 305E's old dizzy was a spare 292 cap I had laying around. Good work!

AngryPirate August 26th, 2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58968)
May or May not work, looks like it. The key is you can order it into store, go there with your old dizzy and see. All for free.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0413&ppt=C0334

With napa, you can buy online and return in store for a full refund. I just did it yesterday. Napa is a little slow getting parts to my doorstep, but if you're not in a hurry....

AZKen August 26th, 2015 06:38 PM

Buying on line is not the same as what I'm speaking of at O'Reilly's. They either have it in stock or get it same day at the store. No shipping cost, real fast. I find it on their website, as I did for you, call them and see if it is in stock, if not they order it for afternoon delivery. Once in a while it takes a day or two if it's in out of state warehouse.
The bottom line is: Is the cap I found what you are looking for? As of Monday 24 Aug, It sounded like you still did not have one, were getting ready to order the Amazon or were still researching. Your response seems to indicate you think I'm pushing a certain store, I am not pushing any particular store, just finding the cap you need. Seems pretty easy to go look at the one I posted? You did not even acknowledge seeing the cap I posted, just talked about NAPA. The Amazon, Delco U305 is the same cap as I posted on Monday 24 Aug., at O'Reilly's.

AngryPirate August 26th, 2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58978)
Buying on line is not the same as what I'm speaking of at O'Reilly's. They either have it in stock or get it same day at the store. No shipping cost, real fast. I find it on their website, as I did for you, call them and see if it is in stock, if not they order it for afternoon delivery. Once in a while it takes a day or two if it's in out of state warehouse.
The bottom line is: Is the cap I found what you are looking for? As of Monday 24 Aug, It sounded like you still did not have one, were getting ready to order the Amazon or were still researching. I am not pushing any particular store, just finding the cap you need. Seems pretty easy to go look at the one I posted? If the Amazon cap is wrong you have to get a return authorization, pack it up and ship back and wait for refund. O'Reilly's is right down the street. You did not even acknowledge seeing the cap I posted, just talked about NAPA. The Delco U305 is the same Cap as I posted on Monday 24 Aug., at O'Reilly's.

Ken, I have not gotten to oreilllys and I do agree your suggestion is a good one.
I was merely just adding that the parts I had previously ordered (that didn't fit, that were in the pictures) were from Napa online and they refunded everything except the shipping. Just adding to the conversation.

I will acknowledge and confirm your oreilllys findings when I get a chance to physically get to the store.