6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49506)

TJ's GMC July 23rd, 2016 03:46 PM

Re: Carbon Buildup and Stuck Valves

My 292 was Horrible for gas smell in the morning. Oh man! You'd get one heck of a head ache from it. My 305 is awesome! While warming up it doesn't smell to bad at all. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 July 23rd, 2016 03:58 PM

My 478 puts out a real strong smell when I start it up and run it:ahhhh: but everything else I own is has Catalytic Converters so you tend to get used to the newer cleaner running engines. When the 305 was in the 68 it did real well biannual California smog tests, I contribute a lot of that to the HEI ignition considering it had the Holley 500 which is pretty fat on the 305. Good thing the truck now is exempt from the smog tests.:upyes:

ilvracn July 23rd, 2016 04:00 PM

i agree big block, the newest american hotrods are pulling 6 and 7 hundred hp, with cat converters. can't be restricted much.

ilvracn July 23rd, 2016 04:09 PM

i think fuel injection, and hei make all the diff. in cold start driveabilty, and cold engine wear. i think choke tends to wash cylinders, and wear rings, and cylinder bores. with the gas we have now and not being able to buy oem choke coils, just cant to get choke to work right. i find myself adjusting them all the time, with the change of seasons. i have several vehicles with carbs, and i prefer manual choke.

bigblockv6 July 23rd, 2016 04:12 PM

Running a true exhaust on my 02 LS1 Trans Am with stock dual converters and there is virtually no restriction in the exhaust system and it more likely maxed out so I have to by a tuner for it. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi July 23rd, 2016 04:41 PM

I don't know about other people, but it wasn't ever the restriction that made me hate cats. It was the cost. Paying $800 bucks for a glorified muffler and being told that you couldn't drive legally without it was the killer for me. I'd just as soon drive no exhaust as have a cat to pay for every few years. Not everyone is a rich politician.

bigblockv6 July 23rd, 2016 05:13 PM

Talk about costs, it's expensive here in California because when you have to replace a converter it has to have a specific California certified converter, so it will be dated and have a compliant number on it. As far as restriction it was the old pellet type of converters GM came out with in 1975 that were the worst:pullinghairout:

FetchMeAPepsi July 23rd, 2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62945)
Talk about costs, it's expensive here in California because when you have to replace a converter it has to have a specific California certified converter, so it will be dated and have a compliant number on it. As far as restriction it was the old pellet type of converters GM came out with in 1975 that were the worst:pullinghairout:

Yeah that california's crazy sauce. Always spending money and driving up costs but wondering why they're broke. I'd have to move next door to Utah or AZ or somesuch, though AZ/NM is getting just as bad on some things. The weather's beautiful, but the government... :banghead:

bigblockv6 July 23rd, 2016 10:12 PM

I'm thinking about an eventual move to Nevada to get away from all the nonsense going on California:pullinghairout:

FetchMeAPepsi July 24th, 2016 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 62950)
I'm thinking about an eventual move to Nevada to get away from all the nonsense going on California:pullinghairout:

I wouldn't blame you a bit for that. CA used to be a great place from what I hear. Like 1960's and 70's. Maybe 80's? Since then it's gone a bit nutty.

Nevada's got alot of the same goodness though, without all the crazy overcontrolling laws. :thumbsup: