6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49627)

bigblockv6 October 29th, 2016 03:46 AM

Re: The saga continues - Sputtering, loss of power when accelerating

Don't even bring up the thought of replacing the V6 with a SBC 350:pullinghairout:. If the 305 will be too costly to rebuild there is always an alternative to find a good used one and even upgrade to a larger V6:thumbsup:

kchampagne October 29th, 2016 04:07 AM

I totally agree! But, realistically, there probably aren't too many used GMC big blocks laying around in junkyards in Australia.

TJ's GMC October 29th, 2016 05:34 AM

Rebuild parts for a 305 V6 really Aren't That hard to find either. I got most of the parts from O'riellys. Didn't do rings, but gaskets, rod bearings, oil pump, timing set, and casting plugs all from auto parts stores. The rings I believe are still available to and the main bearings have to be purchased NOS. Valves I think may be available through Ebay and Summit Racing. Heck, might even be available from Napa. Cam bearings unsure of as well. Parts are there, but not quite EXTREMELY hard to find. Least not a good enough reason to put a 350 in there. lol

Jmclendon October 29th, 2016 10:28 AM

Not a chance I'm going to put 350 in.... I just couldn't see myself parting with what's in there. I guess worst case scenario would be somewhere down the line finding another 305D to replace the current one. But, that's (hopefully) a long way off yet.
Now that it's home I'm going to try to go back to driving it daily, just enjoying the old guy. However, I'm also going to do a compression test.... At least then I'll have some idea as to the general health of the engine.
I think I've finally accepted that I would rather spend the time and money on tools and learning than get someone else to do the work. I guess I just thought getting an 'expert' to do the work initially was better for the truck.

Is it worth posting a video so y'all can hear how it sounds?

Jmclendon October 29th, 2016 11:42 AM

I've uploaded a small video.... Sorry in advance for the file size. But, does it sound ok?
The carb has been leaned out a bit, so that's why (I think) it played up briefly (I didn't have the choke out at all because prior to today it was too rich. Also, it's like a sauna weather-wise over here)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjwPdb4c9NJus3o3lgBeTLTkLiGL

James October 29th, 2016 01:14 PM

Sound good to me.

kchampagne October 29th, 2016 03:07 PM

Sounds pretty smooth to me. Nice truck too!

Jmclendon October 30th, 2016 11:39 PM

Thanks for listening and whanot! I've been worried it's sounding more ticky than it should.

TJ's GMC October 31st, 2016 04:59 AM

My computer didn't wanna load the file so I couldn't hear. :( Sure it runs like a top though. :thumbsup:

WDShaffer November 1st, 2016 07:38 AM

Regarding your post on the 27th. The points should last more than 2 months. Mine were burning up and leaving me stranded--then I checked voltage from the key to the coil. 12 volts.

Not good, and was destroying the points in about 3 months of daily driving (back when I had hair--- see my build journal). GM built these trucks with a "fusible link" -their term for a high resistance wire- that dropped the voltage to 6 entering the coil. The PO had replaced the wire, allowing 12 volts to the coil.

Chrysler (and others) use a ceramic resistor to drop the voltage. I used one I had on hand, and my points were not a problem again. Sure, they need to be checked, but they are pretty low maintenance.