6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1960 Pick up VIN location (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49735)

Jmclendon November 25th, 2016 07:17 AM

Re: 1960 Pick up VIN location

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 64895)
Very helpful. Thanks.

Well, I guess being manufactured in Pontiac, MI isn't the common denominator.

Being in Queensland, I'm guessing everything GM are Holdens?

Have some square bear for me ;-)

Lol I wish it was as easy as swapping Holden for gm parts...

Having said that, the old Holden suburbans look pretty much identical.... I wonder....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

David R Leifheit November 25th, 2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 64891)
FYI - for 1000 series trucks, 'N' was the designation for 60 and 61 model years only.

Don't listen to AZKen on this. He is wrong.

I have had a couple 60-61 GMCs, the VIN tag was on the pillar. Sometimes they have the data plate on the kick panel as well, sometimes they don't.
If it wasn't 11:06 at night and raining heavy, I'd go photograph mine.

Apparently some had it on the pillar, others on the data plate. Some had no VIN on the data plate. I'm not sure there was any true uniformity to how or where the VIN was placed.

No GMC of the 60-66 variety that I have scrapped has had the VIN stamped on the frame. Chevy did, but not all trucks of that era either. I have scrapped 2 Chevrolets from 60-63 and neither had such a stamp on the frame.

Don't have to wait for tomorrow. I had a picture of my first truck, a '61.
http://oeltd.net/doc/My%20Vehicles/6...500Grey-04.jpg

And you are correct, the "N" is only for "60 and '61 model years. The information on the "old" pages is very accurate, I'd go by what it says. A lot of time and effort was put into those pages.

AZKen might also want to read his manual. Not just look at the pictures.
and I quote:
The chassis serial number is stamped on an identification plate, shown at left. Plate is mounted on cowl left side panel inside the cab or on left door hinge pillar.

Obviously the larger data plate won't fit on the pillar, so the one you show (which matches mine) was used.

AZKen November 25th, 2016 07:26 AM

David's right. AP's right. Two styles, only one shown in manual.

Funky61 November 25th, 2016 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo from manual of that section. I have checked in my 61 and can not find a VIN stamp or partial serial number anywhere. I even used a mirror to check on top of the frame, under the cab and found nothing there. It is my understanding that GMC's do not have one on the frame. Hopefully showing this to the agency checking the ID will help resolve the issue.

AngryPirate November 25th, 2016 11:41 AM

Thanks a bunch David. I'll have to articulate this to the sheriff and perhaps get in contact with whomever runs the information site to see if we can get some clarification about there absolutely not being any frame stampings and that there was a lack of uniformity in those years.

From what I could tell, the sheriff was scouring the web for information on my type of truck.

AngryPirate November 25th, 2016 11:45 AM

Funky 61, that photo is perfect! I'll print to show sheriff next time. I may just try to find a copy of that manual to just but also to show the sheriff.

Thanks for the response.

AngryPirate November 25th, 2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 64898)
David's right. AP's right. Two styles, only one shown in manual.

Thanks for the response Ken.

bobdylan November 25th, 2016 02:06 PM

Sounds like your truck is just right,

bobdylan November 25th, 2016 02:12 PM

Sheriff is wrong, sounds like your truck is right, I have bought several vehicles with out titles In Kansas, The Kansas Troopers do the inspection, they have books that show Vin,. locations for all vehicles. You might check with your State troopers, and get some proof to show Chevy and Gmc are not the same. Chevy has stamped frame rail.

AngryPirate November 25th, 2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 64904)
Sheriff is wrong, sounds like your truck is right, I have bought several vehicles with out titles In Kansas, The Kansas Troopers do the inspection, they have books that show Vin,. locations for all vehicles. You might check with your State troopers, and get some proof to show Chevy and Gmc are not the same. Chevy has stamped frame rail.

Thanks bobdylan. That's a good idea about the troopers. The state trooper headquarters is in Austin, near where I live, so it's worth a shot.