6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48479)

1960HDGMC January 10th, 2015 04:32 AM

Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

Another great picture, DAC. But who is the old guy in the picture? Just kidding. By the way, this is the cover of the 1961 GMC OM. It is not the 1960 cover. The 1960 cover is the one with the kids and the dog stopping traffic. If you can not find it above here, let me know and I will re- post it here. From South Georgia to South Dakota, man you get around. I never get west of Lizella anymore. Thanks for sharing the great pictures. I will share them with my moms friend, who is 83, and from Crawfordville. She will enjoy seeing them I'm sure. Later, Greg Mead

GMCNUT January 10th, 2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 56298)
Hey DAC, What a great picture. Macon has the AH Stephens Magnet School. Crawfordville has the AH Stephens Academy. We got a Stephens County in Georgia after the "Recent Unpleasantness" ,I do Declare. I bet every town in Georgia had an AHS school in the late 1800's. Truly a great Son of Georgia. I have included the 1961 GMC Operator Manual Front Cover. Inside cover will not load. Aggravating. This apparently is the final comic book Operator Manual ever produced by GMC. When you remember where that 1960 Owner Protection Policy booklet is, please let me know, haha. Greg Mead

So Greg - are you saying you need and do not have a 1960 operators guide or owner protection guide?

GMCDAC January 11th, 2015 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 56300)
Another great picture, DAC. But who is the old guy in the picture? Just kidding. By the way, this is the cover of the 1961 GMC OM. It is not the 1960 cover. The 1960 cover is the one with the kids and the dog stopping traffic. If you can not find it above here, let me know and I will re- post it here. From South Georgia to South Dakota, man you get around. I never get west of Lizella anymore. Thanks for sharing the great pictures. I will share them with my moms friend, who is 83, and from Crawfordville. She will enjoy seeing them I'm sure. Later, Greg Mead

Thanks again Greg, right now when the temps keep hovering 0* and below I sure wonder why I'm not down there! It might get above freezing Wednesday they say! My Mom was from the Black Hills and the folks moved back to care for her ailing mother the final time in 1960. When the folks split up, I stayed here. Dad was a union electrician and traveled from job to job seeking the best paycheck, Mom got tired of life on the road.

Yeah I knew that first cover was the 1960 manual I was trying to remember, but I thought maybe the other one you posted may have been the back cover. That's a great manual also. Maybe you could put together an album for the site? I did one with the '67 GMC brochure I have.

I still remember a couple of family names from Crawfordville and if this lady your Mom knows would like more pictures we could do it through emails so I can stop hijacking your thread! My Dad was born there in 1923. Oh yeah, my Aunt's middle name was "Lee" and the "old guy" in the pic may have had something to do with that!

DAC

duallyjams January 12th, 2015 02:21 AM

What a beautiful truck would love to see more up close pictures of it.

1960HDGMC January 12th, 2015 05:19 PM

Hey Steve, I am saying both. I do not have a copy, and I need a copy of the 1960 GMC Gasoline Engines Owner Protection Policy booklet. It is the last thing I need to complete my trucks original literature. My new years resolution is devoted to obtaining a copy for my truck within 365 days. Odds anyone? Thanks, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC January 12th, 2015 05:25 PM

Hey DAC, My grandma was Elma Lee . They spelled it LEE and not LEIGH. Her grand dads used to work for the guy in the picture. I will try to post the entire OM, but my computer will often lock up adding pictures here. I scan at 600DPI,so you can get good prints enlarged. May have to go to 300DPI for the entire OM. Thanks, Greg Mead

1960HDGMC January 12th, 2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 56335)
What a beautiful truck would love to see more up close pictures of it.

Thanks DuallyJam, there is an album on this site full of pictures of the restoration. If you need a pic from a certain angle, let me know. I started with the pictures so I could see how to bolt it back together, then I never quit. Later, Greg Mead

GMCNUT January 12th, 2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 56343)
Hey Steve, I am saying both. I do not have a copy, and I need a copy of the 1960 GMC Gasoline Engines Owner Protection Policy booklet. It is the last thing I need to complete my trucks original literature. My new years resolution is devoted to obtaining a copy for my truck within 365 days. Odds anyone? Thanks, Greg Mead

OK - I will look and see which ones I have then. Seems like I have a second 1960 copy of the operators guide but the owner protection guides are non existent so despite my tenacity towards collecting all the literature for each of my trucks, even I do not have one of the 1960 protection guides I dont think....

1960HDGMC January 22nd, 2015 04:15 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of the truck. Before we lit in ,it was stripped of all the chrome. She had over a million miles in service, and was worn slam tee totally out. The rear coil springs show that high quality USA made spring steel can take but so much. I think the front coils are equally as tired, they just can not show it. The artwork is from 1969 Harley Davidson. It is what they used to apply the graphics to the sides of the truck. I have got to decide if I want to bite the bullet and have it repainted. Opinions and ideas always appreciated, Greg Mead
p.s. The "GMC Approved"(just kidding) Dog List was a mailer from 1960,direct marketing the he-man hunter set. The brochures show bird hunters with shotguns at the ready. I don't think they would even consider using this marketing ploy today. They might get sued.

FetchMeAPepsi January 22nd, 2015 04:27 PM

The springs pic shows alot. Those are some sleepy looking springs. You can probably replace them from junkyard stock really cheap. Alot of government trucks never saw much use at all so their springs are almost unused.

For the art, if you can afford it I'd redo it. It's sharp! :beer: If not I might have a local kid in a paint shop paint it on there. Sometimes they work for peanuts.