6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Not getting power to coil (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51311)

AZKen March 8th, 2022 05:00 AM

Re: Not getting power to coil

You don't need a Pertronix coil. No No No. Use the one you have. Take all wires off of coil. Set MM to lowest ohm reading. One MM lead on pos, one lead on neg. Read ohmage. Ignitor II can use any coil with 0.6 Ohms or greater. This will all be explained in the Ignitor II instructions.
They do recommend bypassing the resistance wire. We will discuss wiring the Pertronix if/when you buy it.

newyorksong March 8th, 2022 05:34 AM

Okay purchased the Pertronix 91162A Ignitor ll Will get it weds and install it.
Fingers crossed! And Thanks for all the help.

AZKen March 8th, 2022 05:53 AM

I just added, then deleted, a whole spiel...That ended with buy points. If you got it at Amazon, you can change your mind. Sorry, after thinking it over and your situation and budget, I had to be honest. My timing was 15 minutes late.

newyorksong March 9th, 2022 11:20 PM

Okay got the Pertronix. Measured the coil at 1.3 Ohms so that's good. Reading install instructions. You said best to omit the resistance wire?

newyorksong March 10th, 2022 12:34 AM

Previous had not notched the dist cap as noted so doing that. So wires don't pinch.

AZKen March 10th, 2022 12:52 AM

Instructions say you can do resistance or not. It's kind of a goofy situation. The way the have it shown is silly and a little misleading. I can explain if you wish but sometimes a truck's wiring is no longer original.

:shocked:I need to ask you to check some things before you go any farther.:shocked:

newyorksong March 10th, 2022 01:45 AM

After installing and setting gap I tried to screw down the dist cap only to find it would not go. And that is because I had it backwards. So now I will cut yet another slot for the wire. At least I'm up to my usual standards of automotive work.

newyorksong March 10th, 2022 02:46 AM

Okay ask questions. I did get the cap finished and on.

AZKen March 10th, 2022 02:55 AM

I don't know if the original wiring on the coil was correct and need to see how the owner had it so we don't blow the new unit. On coil positive, you had a red pertronix wire, a yellow wire and a probable resistance wire. This is not per wiring diagram for 1965 and is not the way it would be done to use the resistance wire for pertronix. so..........the important thing is to tell me where the yellow and res wires went. You said firewall. Need more specific with pics if possible. Once I see all that, I can help you wire the new unit.

newyorksong March 10th, 2022 03:13 AM

I don't want to use the resistance wire. But let me take a pic.
the yellow and black coming through the firewall were on the positive together and even fastened together in a clip, but they just separated so
I was going to ask anyway. Gonna get pic now.