6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

TJ's GMC March 15th, 2015 03:54 PM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

That's a sweet looking 64! Nice work!

OLDTRUCKHAULER March 15th, 2015 10:35 PM

GMCDAC,

Yeah, Man, one of these nights I'm sitting up late, reading threads,
I'll start thinking and writing here and other builds about what I have
and have done on the trucks to this point. Should be interesting reading.
I'll just have to post pictures at a later date.

Mike OTH

65 1502 ramptruck
88 INT. Rollback

aphaynes June 18th, 2015 04:10 AM

Well,figured I should update. Though I have not really done a lot to 'Ol Rusty in a while; frankly because that 305E is just running great. :amen:
Add power steering and overdrive and it would be perfect. :thumbsup:

I did have some brake work to do. Finally got the shoes taken care of but the one new rubber brake line was leaking at the wheel cylinder...I forgot to put the copper crush washer on. :ahhhh: After taking care of that, I bleed the lines again only to discover the rubber portion of the line on the other wheel had a pin hole leak that was squirting fluid quite well.:pullinghairout:

Oh well, I got all that buttoned up and put Rusty to work. This half ton 1000 series got the benefit of hauling five 1 ton loads of rock. Even got to put the girls to work...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

After 4 loads, small pebbles getting lodged in my joist hanger tailgate hinges finally busted them up. So, took them off, grabbed some 2 inch wide flat aluminum, heated and bent it into a U shape and ran bolts all the way through the aluminum and the tailgate.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So far it feels much smoother and stronger. :thumbsup:

Poor Rusty looked like it had been lowered with this load of rock...and you cant even see the rock. :ahhhh:

Doc, the dog, decided his rest took precedence over us spreading the rock.

TJ's GMC June 18th, 2015 04:21 AM

Good looking rig. :thumbsup: Diggin the tail gate.

aphaynes March 16th, 2016 02:05 PM

Hey all, not much going on with my GMC. It still looks the same and is running like a champ. The only one of my projects listed below that stays on the road. :thumbsup: I have not been on here in quite a while. Last fall I was focusing on the other two projects which are not GMC's so...

We did move to a new to us house back in December. Now that I am out of the HOA life, I can work more freely on these projects. The move was only 6 miles down the road, so Rusty made a lot of hauling trips back and forth between the two. The only problem Rusty had was acquiring a nail in the rear tire on one of those trips. :banghead: It was an easy fix though.

Because of the hours I work, I get every other Friday off. On those days, I am required ;) to load me and my baby girl up in Rusty to go to breakfast somewhere and take her to school and pick her up. It is a must because as she says, all the kids think Rusty is the coolest truck ever! :upyes: :lol: Can't let that title slip away!

So all that is to say that even though the build is not progressing, we as a family are just enjoying good old reliable Rusty. Now it's warming up, so I know we will be piling up cushions in the back and hitting the drive-in on family nights.

FetchMeAPepsi March 16th, 2016 03:24 PM

Wow, I missed the gravel story! Great times with you and the kiddo. Thanks for the update. Those breakfasts are going to be memories she'll treasure forever. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC March 16th, 2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 61124)
Hey all, not much going on with my GMC. It still looks the same and is running like a champ. The only one of my projects listed below that stays on the road. :thumbsup: I have not been on here in quite a while. Last fall I was focusing on the other two projects which are not GMC's so...

We did move to a new to us house back in December. Now that I am out of the HOA life, I can work more freely on these projects. The move was only 6 miles down the road, so Rusty made a lot of hauling trips back and forth between the two. The only problem Rusty had was acquiring a nail in the rear tire on one of those trips. :banghead: It was an easy fix though.

Because of the hours I work, I get every other Friday off. On those days, I am required ;) to load me and my baby girl up in Rusty to go to breakfast somewhere and take her to school and pick her up. It is a must because as she says, all the kids think Rusty is the coolest truck ever! :upyes: :lol: Can't let that title slip away!

So all that is to say that even though the build is not progressing, we as a family are just enjoying good old reliable Rusty. Now it's warming up, so I know we will be piling up cushions in the back and hitting the drive-in on family nights.

Gotta love enjoying an old truck. :thumbsup:

azlamm65GMC May 18th, 2016 05:36 AM

Nice

aphaynes November 7th, 2016 01:05 AM

I still have not been forced to do anything to old Rusty. That 305 is running like a champ! Had a nice family photo session which Rusty got to be a part of. :D The friend taking our severely long over do family photo loved the truck and wanted it in the shots. Who was I to argue with that.:lolsmack2:

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 64593)
I still have not been forced to do anything to old Rusty. That 305 is running like a champ! Had a nice family photo session which Rusty got to be a part of. :D The friend taking our severely long over do family photo loved the truck and wanted it in the shots. Who was I to argue with that.:lolsmack2:

Aww man! I can't see the pics. They're just blank. I'm sure they turned out great though. You and Rusty & the pit crew keep on rockin!

:thumbsup:

aphaynes November 7th, 2016 03:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Let's try with attachments then...my pit crew is growing up way to fast. I am sure yours is to Fetch.

FetchMeAPepsi November 7th, 2016 03:00 PM

That worked! Great looking family you have there and wow, she sure is getting big! It's so sad, isn't it? My Powder Puff mechanic is turning 12 in a month. We should get together and formulate a potion that keeps them about 9 forever :oldman:

I really like that the photographer snapped one with all of you on the truck. Rusty's soaking up the attention with style!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

aphaynes November 7th, 2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 64603)
That worked! Great looking family you have there and wow, she sure is getting big! It's so sad, isn't it? My Powder Puff mechanic is turning 12 in a month. We should get together and formulate a potion that keeps them about 9 forever :oldman:

I really like that the photographer snapped one with all of you on the truck. Rusty's soaking up the attention with style!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tell me about it. Mine is just ahead of yours, turning 13 this month. :runforthehills:

bobatwarsaw December 5th, 2017 01:38 AM

so if my vin number has a F init its called a fleetside yes
or no ??????

Ed Snyder December 5th, 2017 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobatwarsaw (Post 68349)
so if my vin number has a F init its called a fleetside yes
or no ??????

No -- it does not mean fleetside which is actually a Chevy term. GMC's term is "wideside". What the F means depends on if it's the 6th or 7th digit in the VIN. See

bobatwarsaw December 5th, 2017 01:58 AM

thanks got it

aphaynes January 8th, 2018 03:57 PM

So I have not done any real rework to good ole Rusty in a while. Just been driving it for fun and for hauling stuff as needed. Now I am doing maintenance. I decided to convert the canister oil filter to a spin on. Barry hooked me up with what I needed to make that happen. While I had the truck in the air, I noticed several leaks; brake fluid coming out of the front right brake drum (wheel cylinder), fuel dripping from somewhere around the fuel pump (great...luckily never caught on fire), and oil coming out of the air holes in the bottom of the PCV canister on the rear of the engine.

This thing...

So all that to ask, isn't that where air should be pulled into the engine, not oil coming out?

James January 9th, 2018 10:18 PM

Yes it should unless you have a lot of blow-by pass the piston rings. You might want to check the PCV valves to make sure it is working correctly. They are located on the top of both heads under the valve covers.

aphaynes January 9th, 2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 68555)
Yes it should unless you have a lot of blow-by pass the piston rings. You might want to check the PCV valves to make sure it is working correctly. They are located on the top of both heads under the valve covers.

Thanks. I replaced those three or four years ago, but worth a look.

jbgroby January 10th, 2018 01:36 PM

Looks Sweet, PLEASE keep the V-6. You have an intact radio delete plate (always nice).

aphaynes January 10th, 2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 68559)
Looks Sweet, PLEASE keep the V-6. You have an intact radio delete plate (always nice).

Don't worry, I love the V6. I have zero trouble from it in the four years I have owned it; other than some pesky leaks when I bought it and now to solve this unusual "leak".

aphaynes January 22nd, 2018 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, while taking Rusty to several shows this past 2017, just for fun, I did manage to win one little trophy... :teehee:

aphaynes January 22nd, 2018 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...and 2nd in the production truck class at another show. :ahhhh:

James January 23rd, 2018 12:00 AM

Missing the trophy pictures.

aphaynes January 23rd, 2018 02:51 AM

That's weird...they show up on my pc and my phone. I'll try again later.

aphaynes January 23rd, 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 68613)
Missing the trophy pictures.

I changed the URL's to attachments above. Hopefully that worked.

aphaynes January 23rd, 2018 05:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After years of wanting a shop to work in I finally had one built this past fall.:bigdance: Then I stumbled on a heck of a deal on a used commercial lift. :ahhhh: I thought this would be a good thing, but after putting Rusty in the air for a simple oil change, I saw multiple issues I was not aware of so that quick oil changed turned into a lot of overdue maintenance work. It's funny how much you don't see when laying on the ground working under the truck versus up in the air. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi January 23rd, 2018 05:44 PM

Hey aphaynes! Man that is a sweet shop addition! Your post updates called me back. I haven't been on the 6066 in forever, then I saw an email that ol' Rusty was getting some awards.

AWESOME!!! :coolphotos:

You're livin' the life amigo. Keep the updates coming! What all did you find on that new lift? You know, that new lift that I'm not at all jealous about...at all....:teehee:

aphaynes January 23rd, 2018 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 68623)
Hey aphaynes! Man that is a sweet shop addition! Your post updates called me back. I haven't been on the 6066 in forever, then I saw an email that ol' Rusty was getting some awards.

AWESOME!!! :coolphotos:

You're livin' the life amigo. Keep the updates coming! What all did you find on that new lift? You know, that new lift that I'm not at all jealous about...at all....:teehee:

Ha!...Yeah, never thought I would have the shop and especially the lift...at least not for many more years to come. :lol: It came with a price though. Had to make it big enough for my wife to have her own little area. In this attachment, my helper, that is growing up to fast, was staying off camera after helping me nail up some interior osb to section off the wife's area. Got her all trained up on the HF nail gun though. :)

Ok, so the simple oil change. Once it was in the air, I discovered brake fluid leaking from one of the front drums (wheel cylinder), rear brake shoes were worn out, and fuel leak...I thought..turned out to be coolant. Then I was having trouble with that canister oil filter housing, so Barry hooked me up with a spin on oil filter unit.

OdieTN February 20th, 2018 03:55 PM

Hey Aphaynes - awesome thread. I binge read 4 yrs worth of posts the other night on my phone until my eyes hurt!. I learned a lot from your thread. Awesome truck and congrats on the awards!

ToolinAndSpoolin April 24th, 2018 09:08 PM

Thumbnails look good. I'm New to the forum so with this post I will be able to view all the photos!

aphaynes August 2nd, 2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68796)
Hey Aphaynes - awesome thread. I binge read 4 yrs worth of posts the other night on my phone until my eyes hurt!. I learned a lot from your thread. Awesome truck and congrats on the awards!

:ahhhh: Glad it helped. Everything I've learned is from other's threads on here. Great place for GMC owners. :rowdybeer:

aphaynes August 2nd, 2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I had planned on painting my GMC V6 badges for the last few years, but never have. However, my friends at Stateline Powder Coating just hooked me up with this tri-color powder coating finishing. Should be very durable. I think they look great!

aphaynes August 2nd, 2018 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not a GMC, but since my daughter isn't helping with my GMC, I at least have her in the shop learning how to work on her own little project. :teehee:

aphaynes August 22nd, 2018 12:34 AM

Well the Y pipe, for lack of knowing a better term, on my single exhaust rusted through on good old Rusty. Good a time as any to convert to dual exhaust I guess. :rowdybeer:

Hopefully video posts correctly...

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

ASGMC September 15th, 2022 07:56 PM

Great information. Thanks

aphaynes November 25th, 2022 10:03 PM

Well, haven't been on here in a bit. I haven't really done much since the exhaust except replace the front and rear glass seals. Been spending most of my car working time, when I actually have some, on my Torino. Can't post that here. :) As for Rusty, he's been dependable. Even if he sits for a while, I get in, fire him up, and hit the road. Looking to go from manual steering to power steering now. Shoulders have been gradually getting worse the last few years so I tend to hurt after driving him a day or two. So, it's time. Now gotta learn what I can put on this truck to achieve that.

So, pics since my last post...he still looks the same.

I actually got paid to park Rusty outside of TopGolf for a tailgating display for some event for their members.

Made a pitstop at a gas station museum here in town.

Getting some firewood cut and hauled last winter.

The 2x4 GMC had to rescue the 4x4 Ford :ahhhh:

and during the pandamic, we made a homemade drive in, threw cushions in the bed for us to chill on, with snacks spread across the tailgate. :)

Good times!

Kndrman April 4th, 2023 06:01 AM

Thanks for the help

aphaynes June 30th, 2023 11:54 PM

All right, something is not registering in my slow brain on this. I have removed the single groove crankshaft pulley with the flange it is attached to. How do I separate the flange from the single groove pulley in order to attach my double groove pulley?

aphaynes June 30th, 2023 11:55 PM

Ugh, guess you can't share photo from Google photos?