6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   stuck 478 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47788)

abus319 September 21st, 2013 01:10 AM

stuck 478

Hey all, new old guy here. I was a member a few years back under an old email address.
I recently aquired a military surplus 478 that was rebuilt, but never used. Its stuck and after soaking it in diesel for a few days it will not budge. I tried bumping it using grade 8 bolts and a long bar but it bends the bolts. It doesnt have a flexplate or flywheel so any ideas on how to get some torque on the crank?
Thanks
H

bigblockv6 September 21st, 2013 03:36 AM

Re: stuck 478

I would check out the bottom end, Pull the oil pan off, remove the main bearing caps and check if they're lubed. Maybe some "Marvel Mystery Oil" down the cylinders and if that doesn't work you may have to pull the heads of and check out the condition of the cylinder walls. If moisture got in that could have formed rust on the cylinder walls.

abus319 September 21st, 2013 04:17 AM

Hmm hadnt really thought of the mains, was thinking stuck rings. I will let it soak for a coupl more days then pull the pan. I wish I had borescoped the cyls before I poured all that diesel in.
Thanks

Foley September 21st, 2013 04:38 AM

I say don't force it too much. Just get it loose. A few days isn't much time. I've had them soak for months before coming loose. If it's one or more pistons that are stuck, use whatever penetrating concochun you think is best. WD 40, Diesel fuel, Marvel Mystery Oil, Automatic transmission fluid, and some guys even swear by coca cola. Many people use a mixture of one or more of the above. If it's lower end, then getting those main bearing caps off will help and may show what's seized. If you run out of patience, do like Bigblock suggests and pull the heads. Good luck

Rockdriller September 21st, 2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 50416)
Hey all, new old guy here. I was a member a few years back under an old email address.
I recently aquired a military surplus 478 that was rebuilt, but never used. Its stuck and after soaking it in diesel for a few days it will not budge. I tried bumping it using grade 8 bolts and a long bar but it bends the bolts. It doesnt have a flexplate or flywheel so any ideas on how to get some torque on the crank?
Thanks
H

A feller could maybe pull the front balancer and leave the woodruff key in the crank shaft.......then get a big crescent wrench and use it on the crank shaft up against the woodruff key......should be able to develop a lil' bit more torque that way..........maybe...
Luck.

abus319 September 22nd, 2013 02:40 PM

months eh, well I guess i dont have an immediate need for it, and letting it sit and soak is the least expensive/invasive option. Meanwhile I think I will drill a plate to match the crank flange and weld a large nut to it. Then I can get the impact on it.

Foley September 22nd, 2013 04:03 PM

I think that might be a good option. I like a 50/50 ATF/diesel mix, or all ATF in those cylinders. Get the large nut on there like you say, and using a big, 3/4" drive impact wrench, give it a 5 second blast with the wrench about once or twice a day. It's not so much the torque will break it loose at first, it's the combination of the torque and more important, the vibration from the wrench that will help the penetration.

George Bongert September 23rd, 2013 12:20 AM

Howdy abus319!

RE: your stuck 478, I've been told a 50/50 mixture of laquer thinner and brake fluid will get even the most stubborn stuck engine to break loose. Of course, that's only what I was told, I never tried it myself. Since you have nothing to lose, it's worth a try. If you use this idea and it works, please post and let the rest of us know if it worked or not.

abus319 September 23rd, 2013 02:06 AM

ohhh brake fluid and lacquer thinner,that sounds like a lethal combination. If the long soak with trans fluid and diesel doesnt work It might be worth a try. I think the impact will move it slightly enough to get the diesel behind the rings and get the job done. If not I will open it up like bigblock recomends.
Thanks everyone for your ideas and input.

Mike Caldwell October 4th, 2013 01:42 AM

Don't forget to tighten as well as loosen with the big impact.

Remember these big engines weren't made to get in a hurry so we shouldn't either

abus319 October 4th, 2013 03:06 PM

Thanks Mike
Actually just got the plate and nut built yesterday. Hit it with the impact both directions. It didnt budge, but over time I think she will break loose. I think I will also pull the dist and pump some oil through the engine. Im not in a hurry, I only bought this one to keep it from going to the scrap yard.

abus319 October 9th, 2013 01:25 AM

she came loose today! I could hear slight noises coming from the exaust when i hit it with the impact, so I got the 1 inch drive rachet and rocked it back and forth a bit and now she's free.

FetchMeAPepsi October 9th, 2013 02:49 AM

Aww yeah! :yeeuh: another one saved! Congrats Abus319

Foley October 9th, 2013 03:12 AM

That's whut I'm talkin' bout!!!! Good job 319. And to tell you the truth, it didnt' take as long as I thought it would. You musta been real diligent with that impact wrench workin' away at that thing. So.....what's next for that bigol motor??

abus319 October 9th, 2013 05:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. I was surprised that it gave up so easily. Its been soaking for a while in the diesel and trans fluid, but only got the impact on it last week. I used a 1/2 drive impact instead of a 1 inch thinking that the vibration would help get some fluid behind the rings.
All of the cyls had threaded plastic caps in the spark plug holes and they were pretty much paint sealed except for one. it showed evidence of a rats nest. I think some urine made its way into the cyl.
I dont really have a plan for it, but I do want to hear it run. I took the valve covers off and it looks like it was never run after the overhaul. (The spec sheet shows new .060 pistons.) So for now, check for damage, and drain the oil/diesel/trans fluid in the crankcase. And??

Rockdriller October 9th, 2013 05:14 PM

Very nice...
Complete with air compressor..

Cayoterun October 10th, 2013 02:51 AM

Okie Panhandle patience, guts, determination, ingenuity, and stubborness wins again!!!!!

Congrats, 319. Looking forward to hearing her run.

Rockdriller October 10th, 2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 50720)
Okie Panhandle patience, guts, determination, ingenuity, and stubborness wins again!!!!!

Congrats, 319. Looking forward to hearing her run.

Folks like me and 'Yote.....we look forward to hearin' 'most anything run....

I'm pretty glad about you gettin' the upper hand on that thing.
I'm also curious about what all came with your "crate motor"...?
Was there anything more than what we see in the pic's...? It would be nice to see a few more pics.
I see the mechanical tach drive.....and the super HD mounts and the air compressor.....and that alternator....(I'd like to see more on that, too)...

That thing is sure somethin' to be proud of.

Cayoterun October 10th, 2013 06:56 AM

Tonight is the first time I connected this thread with the PMs we had exchanged.

First, if I find an irrigation stand to sit it in, would you want me to grab it? You could run it in the stand by running a garden hose in the surge tank and letting the cold water circulate and run over. Messy, but works.
I'll also be on the look-out for any junkers here, in case you need more misc. parts. Some of them even had hand clutchs on them.

Curious? Bored .060, does that add enough ci to bring it up near or over 500ci total?
If it did, and someone asked if it was 478, 351, or ?, you could honestly say, "Naa, it's a 503.5", or whatever. Makes good braggin' rights, and size they had never heard of.

That's another thing that's fun with these motors. People are curious enough about them, that a guy can kid around with them some, before explaining what kind of critter they're looking at.

It will be interesting to see what kind of project it will lead you. Maybe a go-cart, dune-buggy,---who knows?

Whatever? Best of luck!!!!

Oh, as the grand-kids would say. That little "happy dance" you gave when it rolled over was in order for an old guy.

abus319 October 11th, 2013 05:49 AM

Rockdriller, the compressor had an overhaul tag on it as well. I dont know anything about the application though. It looks like it uses pressurized oil from the engine, but thats a guess. It came with a new carb, aircleaner and 2 massive looking motor mounts, and a new fan blade. I will take more pics when I get back out there.
Cayoterun, thanks for all your help and the trip down memory lane. I will stop by the next time I get up there. We had several irrigation stands at the farm, set up for 413 Chryslers, but I think my brother sold most of them. So yea If you find one grab it and I will send you a check.
I am going to need a flywheel before I can try and start it as well.
Thanks to all for your support, love this site.

Rockdriller October 11th, 2013 02:53 PM

"Rockdriller, the compressor had an overhaul tag on it as well. I dont know anything about the application though. It looks like it uses pressurized oil from the engine, but thats a guess. It came with a new carb, aircleaner and 2 massive looking motor mounts, and a new fan blade. I will take more pics when I get back out there."

You're correct.....that compressor is oiled by the same port that would lube your turbo.
I'll try to find a pic. of mine.

Very nice set-up.

Cayoterun October 13th, 2013 02:20 AM

Abus:
I checked my treasure pile, and I think I have a stand for your 478, complete/w surge tank, gauge panel and murphy gauges.
I can send some pics pm with some measurements before you head this way next time to be sure. If it will fit, it's yours. I'll never use it again.
I welded some temperary mounts on it to runin some 350s & 348s. Easy to knock off with a torch and do no harm to it.

It's one of the bolt together, so if your short on space, we can knock it down so all pieces will lay flat to get home.

abus319 October 13th, 2013 05:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I took a few more pics. It was overcast so quality isnt the best.

abus319 October 14th, 2013 02:23 AM

Cayoterun
Thanks, I will let you know when I am headed that direction. It will more than likely be Thanksgiving or Christmas plus or minus a week. Murphy switches, I havent seen a set of those in a while! This is off topic but you wouldnt happen to have a set of steel "oneway" or sometimes called "diskall" wheels in your treasure pile would you?

Cayoterun October 14th, 2013 03:57 AM

pm sent.

Rockdriller October 29th, 2013 07:09 PM

abus...

That thing is great.
I would love to get my hands on an air cleaner like that.
I haven't seen one like it.
If anyone has or knows where to get one...lemme know.

Thx for the pics, abus.

abus319 October 31st, 2013 08:21 PM

Rockdriller
The label on it indicates that it is a "cyclopac" built by Donaldson. I did a search for the part number but didnt come up with anything usefull. They are still in business though. It might be worth a phone call if your interested.
filter body #FWB-12 0258, element #P15-3564

Rockdriller November 1st, 2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 50915)
Rockdriller
The label on it indicates that it is a "cyclopac" built by Donaldson. I did a search for the part number but didnt come up with anything usefull. They are still in business though. It might be worth a phone call if your interested.
filter body #FWB-12 0258, element #P15-3564

I sure thank you for the info....
I'll do that.

abus319 January 9th, 2014 09:31 AM

Now that were through the Holidays and some of the more demanding chores are behind us, it looks like I might finally get the 478 into the shop.
It was wonderful to meet up with Cayoterun and his wife over the Christmas holidays. We got to hear the V12 pickup project run, WOW. I had forgotten how those motors shook the ground, it was awsome! We talked motors, shared stories, and walked through a lifetime of treasures. Thanks to their generosity, I now have a rolling engine run stand so, once I get it flushed out and cleaned up I will start posting some pics and we'll see if we cant breathe some life into the beast.

Cayoterun January 9th, 2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 51769)
Now that were through the Holidays and some of the more demanding chores are behind us, it looks like I might finally get the 478 into the shop.
It was wonderful to meet up with Cayoterun and his wife over the Christmas holidays. We got to hear the V12 pickup project run, WOW. I had forgotten how those motors shook the ground, it was awsome! We talked motors, shared stories, and walked through a lifetime of treasures. Thanks to their generosity, I now have a rolling engine run stand so, once I get it flushed out and cleaned up I will start posting some pics and we'll see if we cant breathe some life into the beast.

Abus: Glad you made it home in good shape. It was a great Okie Panhandle "Bull session" with both of you.

NOW, get in gear, and let us hear your old 478 breath fire, thunder, and rattle the shop windows. I'm sure it will bring back many memories of hearing those old engines roaring day and night pumping water back when we were much younger. I'm sure you've changed about 40 water tubes from an open ditch, the water got ahead of you, then the ditch broke. Great fun trying to plug the hole, Huh?

What always amazed me, and still does, is how long those things would run between overhauls. I was never around one that had an hour meter on it, but wish I had. Wish I knew. We tried to estimate them on this V12, but no way to be real accurate, so tried to be conservative. Conservative truth will raise enough eye-brows, and see the questioning looks on people's faces. Makes you wonder if your "honesty" factor hadn't just fell in the sewer in their minds.

Hope you don't find any serious snafu's on your motor as you get further along.

Rockdriller January 9th, 2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51770)
Abus: Glad you made it home in good shape. It was a great Okie Panhandle "Bull session" with both of you.

NOW, get in gear, and let us hear your old 478 breath fire, thunder, and rattle the shop windows. I'm sure it will bring back many memories of hearing those old engines roaring day and night pumping water back when we were much younger. I'm sure you've changed about 40 water tubes from an open ditch, the water got ahead of you, then the ditch broke. Great fun trying to plug the hole, Huh?

What always amazed me, and still does, is how long those things would run between overhauls. I was never around one that had an hour meter on it, but wish I had. Wish I knew. We tried to estimate them on this V12, but no way to be real accurate, so tried to be conservative. Conservative truth will raise enough eye-brows, and see the questioning looks on people's faces. Makes you wonder if your "honesty" factor hadn't just fell in the sewer in their minds.

Hope you don't find any serious snafu's on your motor as you get further along.

Golly, it sounds like we sure missed the boat.
That had to be a great BS Session.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that hour meters were seeing #'s reaching high into the tens of thousands of hours between O-Hauls..

Happy New Year to all of you.

Cayoterun January 9th, 2014 02:38 PM

Rockdriller: Your right. The guys here that ran them compared YEARS, instead of hours.
Most of them would run 24/7 around 6mo. a year, except every 2 weeks, kill them, drop the oil and filter, grease the drive shaft, check coolant, and go again. Never cool down. They sit out in the weather all year, except some guys had frame and roof/w open sides over them. Sure didn't take a new guy long to learn how to drop the drain plug, and filter can without getting too much hot oil on himself. Between changes, oil was added while running by watching a site gauge on the pan.

Another V12 I fixed up, we know was on a pump for over 20 yrs, but no way of knowing how many overhauls it had. The 478s were just as tough.

Ed Snyder January 9th, 2014 02:56 PM

Speaking of how tough these engines are, a fellow member of our Southern Oregon Chevy/GMC Truck Club has over 600,000 miles on his '65 GMC panel. The 305E in it has never been overhauled. He said it's starting to get a "little tired" now, though. :thumbsup:

Cayoterun January 9th, 2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 51774)
Speaking of how tough these engines are, a fellow member of our Southern Oregon Chevy/GMC Truck Club has over 600,000 miles on his '65 GMC panel. The 305E in it has never been overhauled. He said it's starting to get a "little tired" now, though. :thumbsup:

Good example, Ed!

I can't imagine why it would be getting a little "blow-by" and needing a quart now and then.

Rockdriller January 9th, 2014 04:09 PM

'Yote,
When the V-12 was coupled to an irrigation pump, did they use a closed coolant system with a radiator....or was it cooled via open system (using pump water)....like a Marine Set...?

Cayoterun January 9th, 2014 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=Rockdriller;51777]'Yote,
When the V-12 was coupled to an irrigation pump, did they use a closed coolant system with a radiator....or was it cooled via open system (using pump water)....like a Marine Set...?[/QUOTE

Rock:
I'd call it a closed system, but no conventional radiator.
On the pump discharge pipe, (the end well water came OUT of), they have a pipe about 6 feet long and 3-4" bigger in diameter than the pump discharge pipe. The inlet and outlet pipe on the "cooling coil" is the same diameter as the pump pipe so well water passes thru this large chamber @ about 50 degrees. Inside the bigger chamber, it has 5 or 6 copper pipes about 2" in diameter running horizontally inside the big chamber and connected to an inlet and outlet welded outside of that chamber wall for the engine coolant hoses to connect to. The coolant is isolated inside the copper pipes from the well water, and anti-freeze can be used. Fresh well water, and coolant never mixes. So, the engine coolant is cooled by well water, as it passes over/around the continuous copper "cooling pipes".
The thing is shaped like a great big muffler to look at it from the outside, and this system is used on all well motors, regardless of size.

They do have a "surge tank" on the front of the motor so the coolant can expand and contract, as well as access for adding water, etc., that holds 5-6 gallons of coolant, but no or very little help in cooling. but it's all inter-connected.
The whole system holds 15 gallons or more.

This is a lot of words, and probably clear as mud, but hope you get the idea.

North Alabama Gearhead January 10th, 2014 05:18 AM

When I worked at a GM plant with maintenance, we sometimes had assemblies that would be stuck from seizing due to heat as well as rust. Another product you might want to try vs. Mystery Oil, is KROIL. I have attached the link to their website.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

Rockdriller January 10th, 2014 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=Cayoterun;51780]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdriller (Post 51777)
'Yote,
When the V-12 was coupled to an irrigation pump, did they use a closed coolant system with a radiator....or was it cooled via open system (using pump water)....like a Marine Set...?[/QUOTE

Rock:
I'd call it a closed system, but no conventional radiator.
On the pump discharge pipe, (the end well water came OUT of), they have a pipe about 6 feet long and 3-4" bigger in diameter than the pump discharge pipe. The inlet and outlet pipe on the "cooling coil" is the same diameter as the pump pipe so well water passes thru this large chamber @ about 50 degrees. Inside the bigger chamber, it has 5 or 6 copper pipes about 2" in diameter running horizontally inside the big chamber and connected to an inlet and outlet welded outside of that chamber wall for the engine coolant hoses to connect to. The coolant is isolated inside the copper pipes from the well water, and anti-freeze can be used. Fresh well water, and coolant never mixes. So, the engine coolant is cooled by well water, as it passes over/around the continuous copper "cooling pipes".
The thing is shaped like a great big muffler to look at it from the outside, and this system is used on all well motors, regardless of size.

They do have a "surge tank" on the front of the motor so the coolant can expand and contract, as well as access for adding water, etc., that holds 5-6 gallons of coolant, but no or very little help in cooling. but it's all inter-connected.
The whole system holds 15 gallons or more.

This is a lot of words, and probably clear as mud, but hope you get the idea.

It's as clear as beer...
It sounds like it uses a heat exchanger type system.
You sure did explain it just fine.

Thanks 'Yote.

abus319 January 10th, 2014 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yote( I like that)
Yeup we used open ditch irrigation for two years. The worst part of it was digging the ditch. We used a 35hp DC Case which was waaaay to light, and every time the ditcher hit a big rock the front end would head for the sky. It would be a rodeo till either the rock came loose or I chickened out. If it was more than a few feet off the ground the impact would break all the bolts in the front end....

I got really good at plugging the hole/ break. I would start a bunch more tubes and let it draw down and shovel like crazy.

I did manage to get a little work done on the 478 today. Got the old pallet bolts loose, the stand flushed and the extra brackets off and cleaned up. Its ready to lift and bolt to the stand.

Cayoterun January 10th, 2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abus319 (Post 51791)
Yote( I like that)
Yeup we used open ditch irrigation for two years. The worst part of it was digging the ditch. We used a 35hp DC Case which was waaaay to light, and every time the ditcher hit a big rock the front end would head for the sky. It would be a rodeo till either the rock came loose or I chickened out. If it was more than a few feet off the ground the impact would break all the bolts in the front end....

I got really good at plugging the hole/ break. I would start a bunch more tubes and let it draw down and shovel like crazy.

I did manage to get a little work done on the 478 today. Got the old pallet bolts loose, the stand flushed and the extra brackets off and cleaned up. Its ready to lift and bolt to the stand.

Bus: Hey, that's progress, looks good!, I have to remind myself often that every project is built "one bolt at a time".
Ain't it good to have some extra play time, and not be watching the clock to go start running the "check list" for work?

Rock: You can see the surge tank on Bus' stand, and that one integrates the legs of the tank so each leg is an in and out in the circulation circuit.