6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Anyone have $60 grand to spare?? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48825)

Rustbucket June 14th, 2015 05:37 AM

Anyone have $60 grand to spare??

The seller (not me :() claims this truck has less than 2000 original miles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141692461139...1139&viewitem=

David R Leifheit June 14th, 2015 06:12 AM

Re: Anyone have $60 grand to spare??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustbucket (Post 58213)
The seller (not me :() claims this truck has less than 2000 original miles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141692461139...1139&viewitem=

Gorgeous Truck.

I didn't know that the door jambs were factory a different color than the interior and exterior. Note that it is a creme/white where the VIN plate is.
Never seen the two tone interior either. Dash is gold (matches exterior) but the end pieces (transition from the dash to the door) appear to be the same white/creme as the door jambs.
Silver rear bumper looks like it was painted yesterday. wow.

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2015 06:42 AM

This is basically a new truck that was built 53 years ago. It is a fine example with all the correct details that have been lost over the years like the blacked out background and center support on the hood grille and black background behind the grille as well as the correct silver tailgate letters!

jbgroby June 14th, 2015 01:06 PM

I learned that I'm missing a sticker on the valve covers (lash settings). Got to fine one now. The quest begins!

George Bongert June 14th, 2015 01:38 PM

Greetings fellow club members!

This is a beautiful example of an original unrestored truck! However, I personally think the $60,000.00 price tag is more than anyone will be willing to shell out for this truck, unless of course someone out there has that kind of money burning a hole in their pocket. This one will be interesting to watch to see if he gets anywhere near his reserve price given that the current bid is only $3,050.00. Of course, it's still early in the bidding process, so anything is possible, but Sixty Grand?? Maybe one should check with the Antique Auto Insurance Companies for an appraisal to see if they would actually insure that truck for that much money. And if they would be willing to insure it for that much, I'm pretty darn sure that the insurance premium isn't going to be cheap either!

Jeannie June 14th, 2015 01:49 PM

What a beautiful truck! I have doubts to the seller's claims, however there is no disputing the amazing condition of this truck.

To preserve the pictures I have uploaded them to an album on the 60-66 GMC Club site. You may view them in full size here.

Perhaps he will donate it to our club if it doesn't sell for $60,000. :newidea:

TJ's GMC June 14th, 2015 03:12 PM

Jay Leno needs to buy this. lol That's one fine truck..its not every day you see an all original untouched and even has the owner's manual. Heck when I got my 64 I was just happy the glove box was still there and the interior light worked!!! :lolsmack2:

jagarra June 14th, 2015 04:53 PM

Hey guys, I live in Reno. When I was looking at the items on that truck, the name on the receipts of Charles Goff sounded familiar. On the receipts that came with my truck they have the name William Goff, on them, maybe his brother. I also heard there was a truck kept in the garage and never used,. Mine was the ranch truck, but he had another one kept in a garage with low mileage. This may be the one, or William has one just as nice in a garage somewhere too.

Jim A June 14th, 2015 06:19 PM

Things are sometimes a little hard to understand.
That price is 100 times what I paid for my nice '60 3/4.
And, oh yeah, almost 3 times what I paid for my house and ranch.

jbgroby June 14th, 2015 07:33 PM

It looks like a 8' bed, but I can't tell for sure. I noticed that it does not have center bed stake pockets? My 8' bed does.

Rustbucket June 14th, 2015 09:20 PM

I share Jeannie's skepticism. The truck is a beauty, no doubt. But every single truck that I see advertised says "all original" -- even the ones in primer with chrome wheels and tilt columns. Unless every detail is verified by a completely neutral person who's an expert on these trucks, I just wouldn't believe it. I'm not an expert -- I'm always learning more about these trucks. But I've bought a number of trucks with original paint, and none of them had blacked-out wheel tubs. In fact, it looks like the entire bed was painted black -- the wood, metal strips, and wheels housings. It's probably too good to be true.

jagarra June 14th, 2015 10:03 PM

I thought that the tubs being black was a problem too. But if you look at the thread on Calling all 2 tones, entry #17 that shows the paint call outs. It has the tubs and the bed as being black.
Other items hint that it may be authentic, like the little sticker on the front of the heater portion in the engine compartment.

I may have to contact the seller and go and inspect the truck, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I went to the address on one of the receipts 505 W Sixth St, old section of Reno. close to a hospital, looks like the residence was torn down for a medical building.

bigblockv6 June 14th, 2015 11:18 PM

Earlier trucks had black wheel tubs, seeing the markings on the firewall and the detail of the hood grill, I would say this truck is original. You see 99% of these trucks after repainted never having that center support and even the background painted black, it's one of those lost details body & paint shops never take into consideration because they don't take notice of it and Chevrolet never painted theirs black because that's the way it was supposed to be.

AZKen June 16th, 2015 08:10 AM

No center pockets has always been a short bed in my experience.

jagarra June 16th, 2015 02:23 PM

I did manage to make contact with the seller of the truck. Seems that the original owner of this truck also owned the truck I have. He is going to talk to the original owner , who is in his 90's, to get some history of mine for me.

I had heard of the story of this truck from other sources that were telling me it existed, had been parked in a garage and never used since new.
I first heard of the story last year when I bought my truck and was trying to locate the missing vin plate. It had gotten ripped off, original owner had it saved in a drawer. So I do believe it is an authentic original condition truck.

Gasmannv June 17th, 2015 01:23 AM

Hello 6066r's,
I am the recipient of this truck from the original owner. I love the banter and the replies I have received from the various sale listings on Ebay, classiccars.com and craigslist. I do think Jay Leno would love this truck....

I was questioned buy one of the interested collectors about the color as not being on the standard GM charts. I sent him pictures of the assembly chalk markings from the underside of the hood and he found that it was a special GM color.
Here is his response "I think I found it , the color number 9518 Gold, that’s chalk marked under the hood. It’s a GM color widely used in all models in 62 with lots of different names for the same paint from Autumn Gold to Fawn Mist . Look at this chart http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...=Autumn%20Gold On the left you will see letters GBY , click on those letters and you'll find pictures for reference"

In response to questions about how I arrived at the value, I will share this response that I sent another interested collector "Thank you for your response. I understand losing sleep over this truck. I have done the same. The story of how I received the truck and my personal memories of the 60 -66 GMC are unbelievable.
My 90 year old friend from church knew I had a few old cars and operated automotive shops. Almost two years ago he approached me about wanting to give me his old truck. For some reason, I perceived him having an old work truck that was in his yard that needed hauling off or that would be a project truck. I really didn't need another project. Some time later, I went to his house for some church business and saw a 67-72 4X4 in his side yard that definitely was a desirable truck, but was a project. I kind of put him off not wanting to start another project. In recent months, he asked me again to come by and take a look at his truck he wants me to have. Finally one day I told my son we should go look at Bill's truck. We went by his house, Bill wasn't home and the truck that I had seen previously was gone. I felt I had probably procrastinated long enough and Bill found another person more deserving. A few weeks later I approached Bill at church and and told him that I went by and saw the truck gone and I hoped he found a good home for it. He looked at me kind of funny and said "No Steve, that was not the truck I wanted you to look at, the one I want you to have is still in the garage". So I agreed that I would make it it a point to come look at it soon. A couple of weeks later, I called Bill to see if he was home and he said for me to come over. After a few minutes of visiting with he and his wife, he walked me through the house to the door that led to the attached garage.
Beyond his current driver sedan, I could see the left rear quarter panel of the partially covered truck that was backed into the space and I immediately recognized it as an early 60's fleetside. As we approached it I could see that the paint appeared brand new. I asked Bill if he recently had it repainted, he said "no, it was the original paint" As we walked around the front, I saw the V6 emblem on the side of the hood and a rush of memories overcame me. My grandfather had taught me to drive when I was around 14 in a 66 GMC that I later inherited. As I opened the hood, I saw the fresh paint on the motor and asked if he had recently had it rebuilt and he responded the same as before, "no, it was the original engine". The way the truck was parked, I couldn't open the drivers door, but I could open the passenger door and saw the immaculate interior. The seat had an Indian cover blanket and I pulled it back and asked Bill if anyone had ever sat in the passenger seat and this time he just laughed. I still hadn't looked at the odometer. We walked around the back and I asked the same type of question about the bed, if he ever used it and he responded he had built the sideboards for it but could not remember hauling anything. We talked for a while, he showed me the paperwork and we made arrangements to have it towed over to my shop the following Monday. Monday afternoon, I arrive at my shop as the truck had just rolled off the flatbed, I was able to open the drivers door, I was floored as I looked at the odometer. I immediately began inspecting the normal wear areas to see if the odo. had rolled. The door strikers, pedal rubbers, door window felts, e-brake and cable were all like brand new. This was original mileage. I called Bill to let him know the truck had arrived safely and that I had a few questions for him concerning the mileage. He shared that the year he purchased this truck his mother had passed away and he had a couple of her vehicles to drive so he parked this one. Later he joined a Gem and Rock club so he purchased another truck with 4wd, so this one sat in the garage.
I rinsed the dust off the truck, towel dried it and we pushed it into our shop. The pictures with the side boards are form the first day it had been out of his garage in over 25 years. After we soaked the engine, fired it up and repaired the necessary hydraulics, I took it for a spin. The sound, the smell and the feel were exactly how I remembered my Grandfathers truck. I logged a lot of miles in that 66 my grandfather purchased new. The muscle memory and senses tearfully took me back almost 50 years. I had originally intended to keep this truck, it was a special gift and the sentimental remembrance of my grandfather. However, I really do not enjoy collecting for collecting sake. I like to drive and enjoy my vehicles. It would ruin the value of this truck to add miles so I've been in a dilemma (losing sleep). I spoke with my friend Bill and he won't take any money so I suggested that we sell the truck and make a large donation to our Spiritual Center in his name.
Long answer to your short question. I have an online appraisal from pictures sent to a Barret Jackson appraiser for 40K. We have a Barret Jackson auction coming up in Reno for Hot August nights. I believe that the condition and desirability of this truck will drive the auction price up over my current reserve of $55K on eBay. If it doesn't sell before August, I expect to net close to 50K after auction fees. You and another collector from the mid-west have shown equal interest at this time. Knowing what I have shared, you are welcome to make an offer. Thanks for your interest."

So my fellow 6066r's, that's the story and I'm sticking to it.
Best Regards!

Jeannie June 17th, 2015 02:04 AM

:welcome:

Thank you for sharing your story with us, Gasmannv. I would love to see some close pictures of the hood and outside cab roof. Your story humanizes the experience and nostalgia many of us feel with the ownership of these magnificent trucks. I hope you find a nice home for him with a collector that appreciates the find.

Best of luck,

-Jeannie
6066 GMC Club

Gasmannv June 17th, 2015 03:46 AM

Thanks Jeannie, Next time I uncover the truck, I will make sure and take some more close ups and detailed pictures.
Steve

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2015 04:17 PM

HOLD THE BUS!!!

This is a frikkin amazing truck stuck in a garage for 50 years and now coming back to life!?!? WITH A RARE COLOR?!?!!?

Can I just sniff the exhaust for $40?

:lolsmack2:

So full of awesome sauce.:crazyyippee::woohoowave:

I hope some butt-tard doesnt buy it and drop a 350 in it.:headscratch: I'll be the first to grab my pitchfork.

http://99gifs.com/-img/542c6bb0c90e8c6a4a000041.gif

Gasmannv June 17th, 2015 05:05 PM

FetchMeaPespi - If you can make your way to Reno you can do more than smell the exhaust for a bottle of Coke.......

I have a couple of question for all you experts. Does anyone know what OEM Delco battery group number would be the correct number for this truck? I see that there are still some NOS acid fill Delco's around. Will a new 50 year old battery come to life when adding acid for the first time? Am I better of using one of the new reproduction maintenance free Delco "look alike's"?

Thanks,
Gasman -

Funky61 June 17th, 2015 08:38 PM

Awesome Story. Awesome Truck.
Miracles do happen! Thanks for sharing.

jagarra June 18th, 2015 02:07 AM

Steve,

According to my GMC service manual the battery information is as follows:

Standard part# 1980458 model 2SMR53 Catalog# 458 group 24
Optional part# 1980668 model 668 catalog# 668

I did Google the Delco 2SMR53 and got hits for battery information.

Summit racing in Sparks has the correct wet cell battery in stock. Has the Delco logos and correct yellow caps.

good luck,

gg

Gasmannv June 20th, 2015 01:44 PM

Thanks Jagarra,
I will be seeing the original owner tomorrow and find out about the "Tale of Two Trucks".
Or is it Cinderella's story. Why your Custom had to do the chores and the standard got to wear the glass slipper? Call me if your around if you would like to come examine Sleeping Beauty, I think her prince may be coming to take her to her new palace some where in the Mid West.
Best regards

Rustbucket June 24th, 2015 10:59 PM

The bidding ended right where it should have, at about $20K. That's about right for a super nice, but not 100% correct or original truck. IMO Steve's camper special that went for $10K was a much more interesting find, and more bang for the buck considering the factory options.

jagarra June 24th, 2015 11:34 PM

When I went and looked at the truck the other day, it sure looked original to me. What really struck me was how nice the engine compartment was, especially all the sheet metal. Very pristine, the paint was perfect . All the original factory scribbled numbers on the firewall and underside of the hood were there. One could tell that it hadn't been subjected to the heating and the cooling off of a used truck. The post that the hood latch engaged was unmarked, still had the original finish. All the doors latches were perfect, no drag marks. The fit and finish of the paint was perfect, saw 1 shallow scratch where something got dragged over the edge of the tailgate. Tires were original, no cracking as it was keep out of the sun. The only thing I saw that was unusual was the switch placement for the back up lights in the Barden bumper. It was put in the position where the cigar lighter would normally go.
I figure that was a dealer installed option, the bumper was made in Oregon, according to the tag.

Gasmannv June 25th, 2015 12:12 AM

Dear Rustbucket,
Really? You base your valuation on an Ebay auction and on other trucks that have been driven, worn and used. I wasn't truly expecting to sell it on Ebay, I simply put it out there to garner interest (which it did!). It was also advertised on ClassicCars.com, Classic Auto Trader and Craigslist. As a hobbyist, and member of this group that looks at a lot of these trucks, I am surprised that you would claim that this truck is not 100% or correct. Even the wipers that were stored in the cab are original. With less than 2,000 miles on it, the initial valve adjustment hasn't even been performed. There are less than a handful of these kind of no/low mileage trucks in the nation. I have only seen a few that have been preserved at this level. Most of those have not been started or driven and they probably won't be. This truck has been painstakingly brought back to life and test driven. As I stated earlier, the only non OEM parts on this truck are the battery, fuel pump, carb gaskets, fuel lines and hydraulic cups in the brake and clutch cylinders with new brake fluid. Oh, and the Indian blanket that covered and preserved the perfect original upholstery was not installed at the dealer in 1962 either. The only other trucks that even come close to this condition have received complete frame off professional restorations. Even then, they have 30, 50, 100K plus miles and are certainly not original, let alone much more money is invested to bring them back to this kind of condition.

As I stated previously, I do have a photo appraisal from a Barrett Jackson appraiser for 40K. I have received multiple offers exceeding that amount. As stated before, in establishing the ask price, I expected to net $50k after auction fees at the Barrett Jackson auction in Reno this August. As you may have noted, I have pulled all of the ads from the market. So that you know, I have accepted an offer and the truck has sold for $50K from a serious collector that understands and appreciates the value of this unadulterated time capsule.

Best of luck to you!

GasManNV.

GMCNUT June 25th, 2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 58216)
I learned that I'm missing a sticker on the valve covers (lash settings). Got to fine one now. The quest begins!

Jake, I need to get a set of these for my 305A also and I have a company here in Alabama who I got to reproduce the oil bath air cleaner and screw on gas filter decals that can also reproduce these valve lash decals but I need someone to send me a nice valve cover that has a clean undamaged label still on it so they can scan it in to their computer - if you or any other member can produce one to use as a sample, I can get everyone who needs them a set made. Let me know - Steve

TJ's GMC June 25th, 2015 03:23 PM

Wow did I miss out on alot or what. lol Cool story! I agree with FetchMeAPepsi....if someone throws a 350 in it I'll be grabbing my pitch fork to! :D

GMCNUT June 25th, 2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasmannv (Post 58416)
Dear Rustbucket,
Really? You base your valuation on an Ebay auction and on other trucks that have been driven, worn and used. I wasn't truly expecting to sell it on Ebay, I simply put it out there to garner interest (which it did!). It was also advertised on ClassicCars.com, Classic Auto Trader and Craigslist. As a hobbyist, and member of this group that looks at a lot of these trucks, I am surprised that you would claim that this truck is not 100% or correct. Even the wipers that were stored in the cab are original. With less than 2,000 miles on it, the initial valve adjustment hasn't even been performed. There are less than a handful of these kind of no/low mileage trucks in the nation. I have only seen a few that have been preserved at this level. Most of those have not been started or driven and they probably won't be. This truck has been painstakingly brought back to life and test driven. As I stated earlier, the only non OEM parts on this truck are the battery, fuel pump, carb gaskets, fuel lines and hydraulic cups in the brake and clutch cylinders with new brake fluid. Oh, and the Indian blanket that covered and preserved the perfect original upholstery was not installed at the dealer in 1962 either. The only other trucks that even come close to this condition have received complete frame off professional restorations. Even then, they have 30, 50, 100K plus miles and are certainly not original, let alone much more money is invested to bring them back to this kind of condition.

As I stated previously, I do have a photo appraisal from a Barrett Jackson appraiser for 40K. I have received multiple offers exceeding that amount. As stated before, in establishing the ask price, I expected to net $50k after auction fees at the Barrett Jackson auction in Reno this August. As you may have noted, I have pulled all of the ads from the market. So that you know, I have accepted an offer and the truck has sold for $50K from a serious collector that understands and appreciates the value of this unadulterated time capsule.

Best of luck to you!

GasManNV.

Wow...my hat is off to you for getting 50K Gasman. The rarest, most expensive and most highly sought after GMC trucks ever made are the 1955-1958 GMC Suburban Pickups (like a Chevy Cameo) and even one of these barely breaches what you got for this base model truck....that is amazing. But, in defense of the collector who wanted it, I must admit your truck was in very rare form with the shiny original paint, original bed wood and low mileage so that clearly drove his decision. 50K has got to be the highest price anyone has ever paid for any 60's vintage GMC so you did well my friend - congratulations!

Onuma June 25th, 2015 08:55 PM

Phenomenal truck, and a great story to go with it. This certainly isn't an everyday occurrence.

Congratulations on the sale.

I genuinely hope the individual who receives the truck will keep her in proper care; can't see paying $50K and ruining a beauty like this.

Gasmannv June 26th, 2015 02:14 AM

Thanks to all the believers and well wishers.
I will take a bunch more detailed pictures and upload them in the gallery for your use as references for restoration before the vehicle is shipped to it's new home. I will measure and take a close ups of the engine decals and markings for possible reproduction.
Best Regards
GasmanNV

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 01:29 PM

Hi Steve , Jon from Wisconsin. If the sale completes , I know its going to a home that it WILL be preserved and cared for. My only wish is that it would have been my home !! Had it not been for our recent kitchen remodel here, the odds would have been different. This can be a tough group when it comes to value opinions and conditions . Not all are up to speed on Survivors . Yours is the absolute Best I've seen yet and I'm always looking. There was one other GMC recently uncovered , a 1967 with just 30 miles, but even that truck is not the quality of yours because of the way it was stored . The 67 and your 62 were the only ones I've ever seen to have the original chalk marks on the tires that match the firewall. You did well .

I to would be very interested in more pictures. One in particular would be the Jack instruction sheet under the seat if it has one and pictures of the jack itself. The under body shots you sent were amazing ! Anything you see , suspension tags , markings paint dabs etc would be very helpful.

Thank you for showing us this truck ! Jon

bigblockv6 June 26th, 2015 01:35 PM

Jon, was that the black 67? That too is a nice all original truck.

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 01:43 PM

That's the one. Truck has a few issues but is an incredible time capsule .

WDShaffer June 26th, 2015 02:14 PM

Gentlemen,
The phrase is, "Rising tides float all boats." Congratulations GasManNV on a rare find. And thank you to your buyer for appreciating a gem of a time capsule. My base model '61 is the complete opposite...I will begin a build thread called "Stock is for soup" it is so badly worn out.