6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   305a V6 ignition parts (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48919)

AngryPirate July 15th, 2015 09:25 PM

305a V6 ignition parts

Where do I find them?

I want a new:

- cap ( believe its a screw down type, not the 1/2 or 1/4 turn latching kind )
- rotor
- condenser
- coil
- wire set

I found some parts here, but I'm not sure of the cap since they don't show the underside.

If someone has bought these before and still has their order history and manufactorurer & part numbers, that would be super helpful.

Thanks,
Scott

AZKen July 16th, 2015 06:28 PM

Re: 305a V6 ignition parts

Scott, you need to learn how to use the internet for parts more effectively. If you can't find them, we can help. But you need to try first. I found everything you want at the first place I tried , Rockauto. This is not to discourage you from posting a problem or question. Trying to inform you that all we do is look it up for you. Try O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, etc. or whatever you have in your town if you don't want to order online from Rockauto or your link. Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits. Buying locally is always better to check the part at the counter and for returning. But I buy a lot from the internet because of price and not available locally.
P.S. I have the same truck you have....cool!

AngryPirate July 16th, 2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58583)
Scott, you need to learn how to use the internet for parts more effectively. If you can't find them, we can help. But you need to try first. I found everything you want at the first place I tried , Rockauto. This is not to discourage you from posting a problem or question. Trying to inform you that all we do is look it up for you. Try O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, etc. or whatever you have in your town if you don't want to order online from Rockauto or your link. Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits. Buying locally is always better to check the part at the counter and for returning. But I buy a lot from the internet because of price and not available locally.
P.S. I have the same truck you have....cool!

Yeah, I have tried the Internet, a lot. the parts I received have been incorrect or don't match what's on my truck. For the most part, the truck is pretty much original, so I'm assuming that the ignition parts are still oem as well. I've also tried most of the usual online resources (lmc, classicindustries, classictruck, bowtiebits, etc, etc) as well as AutoZone, NAPA and Oreillys.

Quote:

Usually if you have searched correctly and they say it fits, it most likely fits.
Not true in the case of these trucks, in my experience. The parts at times are incorrect or they just don't have a listing for them.
I owned a 61' chevrolet truck with a more conventional v8 and parts for that were super easy to find.

I've ordered many ignition parts from Rock Auto that have turned out to not be correct for my truck.
I'm asking these questions here because all the other avenues have failed to yield the correct parts for this non-typical engine.
I have looked at other sites and they list parts for only the I-6 engines.

Please don't assume someone is Internet inept or hasn't already attempted other avenues when they most likely have.

The most likely case is, perhaps the distributor for my truck was switched out and is no longer oem and this is causing me to not find a match on all of the online resources.

Thanks for the 'advice'.

AZKen July 16th, 2015 08:32 PM

Another quick search on O'Reillys website shows every part you need for 1960 GMC 1000 series 305 V6. But you say you have ****"tried" them. I recommended you go to a place like that so as to be sure it fits and returns are "no questions asked." There are 14 O'Reilly's in Austin. If you have an odd ball Dizzy, you will have to identify it before anyone can help you. But I doubt you do. You are welcome for the advice. I like to help those who are trying to help themselves.
Some parts for these motors are hard to find, some are not.

****("Please don't assume someone is Internet inept or hasn't already attempted other avenues when they most likely have.")

So go get your parts and get it running down the road.

TJ's GMC July 18th, 2015 02:55 PM

On the subject of Odd Ball dizzys...did anyone else ever have the dizzy with the dual vacuum port advance pump? My new one has a single hose, but my old one had two hoses coming from the pump.

Jim A July 19th, 2015 01:39 AM

The thing I like about the various forums I visit, including this one, is the tradition of almost unfailing courtesy and helpfulness.
I don't read every post so there may be some "history" between Pirate and Ken that I have missed.
If not, then the courtesy I expect seemed a little strained here.
I hope it is a one-off.

AZKen July 19th, 2015 01:54 AM

If you want to look up stuff for people who don't even try themselves, then they bite the hand that feeds them, why don't you look it up and help? instead of bashing on here. Your comment can only add to whatever "straining" is present. All my comments are full of genuine help in them, including a tip for a person on his very first post here. (That should have told you there is no history.) This issue had settled until you posted. The courtesy starts with not treating a forum as your secretary. "Hey look this stuff up for me guys while I go bowling".

Ed Snyder July 19th, 2015 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 58577)
Where do I find them?

I want a new:

- cap ( believe its a screw down type, not the 1/2 or 1/4 turn latching kind )
- rotor
- condenser
- coil
- wire set

Thanks,
Scott

Scott -- Do you know if you still have the original 305A, or has it maybe replaced with a later 305E with the smaller distributor?

Ed

AZKen July 19th, 2015 08:31 AM

Ed, after you posted I did some checking. Didn't know about smaller/larger dizzy. If vendors info is correct, I found that 60 and 63 use same cap but there are two choices for rotors, slip on pointer type and the two screw disc kind.

AZKen July 19th, 2015 08:13 PM

Here is some info from a GMC enthusiast and expert:

GMC v6 engines came with one of 3 different dizzies. First the externally adjusted style. Just like the 230-250-292 stuff. It has the spring arms to hold on the cap.
Next is the internal adjusted style. More or less the same as the later 235-261 Chevy and jimmy 248-270 302. Screw on cap.
Third is the externally adjusted dizzy with the governor control. This has 2 vacuum ports and is taller under the cap. These came on 1-1/2 ton and larger.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for use of the first two styles. Though the externally adjusted caps seem a bit more common. Both styles have appeared on all series of 305 engines.

TJ's GMC July 19th, 2015 09:36 PM

Actually the 230-250-292 had screws to hold the cap down and were internally adjusted. The older 216-235-261 had the externally adjusted dizzys and the snap on straps to hold the cap down. Nice to know what truck my 305 was out of. It had that governed dizzy.

AZKen July 19th, 2015 09:51 PM

My 1963 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual shows 6 cyl 230, 292 Distributor cap as spring loaded retention and external/window adjustment as previously posted.

My 305A and 305E have the exact same Dizzy/cap/rotor/etc. Spring loaded cap, external adjust.

AngryPirate July 19th, 2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 58608)
Scott -- Do you know if you still have the original 305A, or has it maybe replaced with a later 305E with the smaller distributor?

Ed

Original 305a. Not sure about the distributor though. I'll have to pull a part # off of it.

AngryPirate July 19th, 2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim A (Post 58606)
The thing I like about the various forums I visit, including this one, is the tradition of almost unfailing courtesy and helpfulness.
I don't read every post so there may be some "history" between Pirate and Ken that I have missed.
If not, then the courtesy I expect seemed a little strained here.
I hope it is a one-off.

I appreciate almost any reply, and I suppose that I have only one post on this forum may have prompted Ken's response. I guess I was taken aback when I saw the "you should really try the Internet" response when I have done lots of digging and I was posting here in case it was some gmc (not Chevy) weirdness with the distributor and other ignition parts. I was baffled when I kept getting the incorrect parts and before I attempted again I was wondering if someone else had experienced this weirdness and had some insight or possibly some online purchase history that could yield a specific part number.
I guess I took the response the wrong way and I apologize to Ken.
I always search the forum for the answer before posting my own thread. I just didn't see anyone else having an issue with finding correct parts is all.
I am always very gracious for any help, but I guess I have a hot button when it comes to any (my) perceived condescending comments.
Apologies for the misunderstanding

AngryPirate July 19th, 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58610)
Here is some info from a GMC enthusiast and expert:

GMC v6 engines came with one of 3 different dizzies. First the externally adjusted style. Just like the 230-250-292 stuff. It has the spring arms to hold on the cap.
Next is the internal adjusted style. More or less the same as the later 235-261 Chevy and jimmy 248-270 302. Screw on cap.
Third is the externally adjusted dizzy with the governor control. This has 2 vacuum ports and is taller under the cap. These came on 1-1/2 ton and larger.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason for use of the first two styles. Though the externally adjusted caps seem a bit more common. Both styles have appeared on all series of 305 engines.

Noted. Thanks for the response.
Next time I'm at my truck I'll pull the ignition parts and post them, for future reference.
I'll dig into the information above.
Thanks again.

jagarra July 20th, 2015 02:13 AM

When I was getting parts for my 62 with a 305 D motor I used the Napa on line site to do my parts research. After I selected my year truck on the site I could then select my local store. Then I could peruse inventory and see what was in stock. Everything I needed for the dizzy was in stock, worked correctly. What really took me back a bit was how expensive the externally adjusted points and matching cap were. But from experience, Napa has top quality ignition parts so I got the best for my baby.

AZKen July 20th, 2015 03:04 AM

I do a lot of "shopping" on line to get part numbers and pictures, and after many corroborating facts, I then try to find the parts locally so as to touch and feel and compare before buying. Just as Jagarra said. I have found that some online retailers are easy and fair regarding returns. I don't use any of them unless I have to or the price is way low. Amazon seems good for returns. RockAuto is NOT. I don't use them anymore for purchase but really, really, good for part numbers. As I said way back, buy at a store near if you can. I have learned to do cross referencing on the internet. It has taken a lot of time to learn how to do that to end up with the part at O'Reilly's. They do not always have an old truck part listed on their site or computer. Their dates don't go that far back sometimes. I am speaking of all kinds of old trucks/cars I have worked on, not just GMC. Places like O'Reilly's will take back a part, no questions asked especially if you have built up a rapport.

TJ's GMC July 21st, 2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58613)
My 1963 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual shows 6 cyl 230, 292 Distributor cap as spring loaded retention and external/window adjustment as previously posted.

My 305A and 305E have the exact same Dizzy/cap/rotor/etc. Spring loaded cap, external adjust.

Maybe I'm mixing up what your calling Internal an External adjustment. lol You meaning turning the dizzy back and forth to set the timing? Or are you referring to the vacuum or mechanical advance?

AZKen July 21st, 2015 09:09 PM

Points adjust thru "window" built into dizzy. Dwell. How could you interpret turning dizzy as internal/external adjustment?
Anyway sounds like OP is on track.

TJ's GMC July 22nd, 2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58623)
Points adjust thru "window" built into dizzy. Dwell. How could you interpret turning dizzy as internal/external adjustment?
Anyway sounds like OP is on track.

My bad. Never had an engine with the dwell window. Though I have heard of them.

AngryPirate August 24th, 2015 04:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just to follow up here, so it's helpful to others in the future and they don't think they are going insane, I ran into discrepancies between what the major auto parts dealers offer and what is on my truck.

The distributor body has 'Delco-Remy 1110317 6E10' stamped on it. That hasn't found me a cap yet, but I'm going to keep digging.

The picture below comparing the caps, the one on the right is the original (to my truck). You can see that they are very different in size and fastening mechanism.

The points seems to wrong as well. I'm posting the original points I pulled.

If anyone has any pointers, it will be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to keep digging.

Thanks!

Scott

David R Leifheit August 24th, 2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 58960)
Just to follow up here, so it's helpful to others in the future and they don't think they are going insane, I ran into discrepancies between what the major auto parts dealers offer and what is on my truck.

The distributor body has 'Delco-Remy 1110317 6E10' stamped on it. That hasn't found me a cap yet, but I'm going to keep digging.

The picture below comparing the caps, the one on the right is the original (to my truck). You can see that they are very different in size and fastening mechanism.

The points seems to wrong as well. I'm posting the original points I pulled.

If anyone has any pointers, it will be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to keep digging.

Thanks!

Scott

This thread:
http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/archive...p/t-48166.html

Indicates that the distributor is probably stock since it is on another member's v6.

If I get time I'll look around and see what distributor cap/rotor that the "kid" got for his (was mine) truck. He works all day and pretty much passes out when he gets home so asking him isn't an option. :)

AngryPirate August 24th, 2015 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basically, I chased down the distributor part number on rock auto and it pointed to a distributor for a 1964 GMC 1000, but none of the caps matched the distributor (distributor had holes for screw down style cap and the caps shown for the 1964 were the type that have the arm that slides under a lip on the distributor body (wrong) ).

I dug a little further and found a distributor contact (points) that matched mine on rock auto, so I search amazon for the points part number, and low and behold, the amazon 'commonly bought together' section showed a cap that 'looks' similar to mine. I'm still doing research on this, but it looks promising.

It is nice to see that petronix or at least in this post they identify a larger and smaller distributor cap and one with a window (larger) and one without (smaller). Mine certainly doesn't have a window and is the smaller of the 2; so at least that lines up.

bigblockv6 August 24th, 2015 07:24 PM

Appears you have the later model small cap distributor which shares the same cap with Chevrolet 230. 250 and 292 inline six engines up to 1974, there shouldn't be problem finding this cap.

AZKen August 24th, 2015 10:51 PM

Good work Pirate, that's how you do it. Search and research. DON"T buy online for hard to figure out parts, especially RockAuto, they will NOT give money back because of the way you buy from them, it locks you in.

AZKen August 24th, 2015 11:20 PM

May or May not work, looks like it. The key is you can order it into store, go there with your old dizzy and see. All for free.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0413&ppt=C0334

TJ's GMC August 25th, 2015 10:52 PM

You can get a 292 cap for cheap at Napa. That's what I used on my 305E's old dizzy was a spare 292 cap I had laying around. Good work!

AngryPirate August 26th, 2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58968)
May or May not work, looks like it. The key is you can order it into store, go there with your old dizzy and see. All for free.

With napa, you can buy online and return in store for a full refund. I just did it yesterday. Napa is a little slow getting parts to my doorstep, but if you're not in a hurry....

AZKen August 26th, 2015 06:38 PM

Buying on line is not the same as what I'm speaking of at O'Reilly's. They either have it in stock or get it same day at the store. No shipping cost, real fast. I find it on their website, as I did for you, call them and see if it is in stock, if not they order it for afternoon delivery. Once in a while it takes a day or two if it's in out of state warehouse.
The bottom line is: Is the cap I found what you are looking for? As of Monday 24 Aug, It sounded like you still did not have one, were getting ready to order the Amazon or were still researching. Your response seems to indicate you think I'm pushing a certain store, I am not pushing any particular store, just finding the cap you need. Seems pretty easy to go look at the one I posted? You did not even acknowledge seeing the cap I posted, just talked about NAPA. The Amazon, Delco U305 is the same cap as I posted on Monday 24 Aug., at O'Reilly's.

AngryPirate August 26th, 2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58978)
Buying on line is not the same as what I'm speaking of at O'Reilly's. They either have it in stock or get it same day at the store. No shipping cost, real fast. I find it on their website, as I did for you, call them and see if it is in stock, if not they order it for afternoon delivery. Once in a while it takes a day or two if it's in out of state warehouse.
The bottom line is: Is the cap I found what you are looking for? As of Monday 24 Aug, It sounded like you still did not have one, were getting ready to order the Amazon or were still researching. I am not pushing any particular store, just finding the cap you need. Seems pretty easy to go look at the one I posted? If the Amazon cap is wrong you have to get a return authorization, pack it up and ship back and wait for refund. O'Reilly's is right down the street. You did not even acknowledge seeing the cap I posted, just talked about NAPA. The Delco U305 is the same Cap as I posted on Monday 24 Aug., at O'Reilly's.

Ken, I have not gotten to oreilllys and I do agree your suggestion is a good one.
I was merely just adding that the parts I had previously ordered (that didn't fit, that were in the pictures) were from Napa online and they refunded everything except the shipping. Just adding to the conversation.

I will acknowledge and confirm your oreilllys findings when I get a chance to physically get to the store.

AZKen August 26th, 2015 07:35 PM

O'Reilly's has the Delco U305 in the same group as the Master Pro 2-4211 (my post). It was listed as not available. The rotor used with this cap is Delco U403, also listed as not available.
This is the rotor in that group that is available.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+cap+%26+rotor

And Delco U110 was in this group (not available) but this is:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...%26+condensers

jagarra August 26th, 2015 07:52 PM

I was checking my old Motor's manual to see what distributor number was called out for this truck. Seems the number for a distributor for a 1960 305A is 1110248. further checking showed that the number in question doesn't appear anywhere, but my list only goes to 1964. So no telling when this number appeared.

After I did some more checking by Goggling that distributor number, it comes up as one for industrial and tractor applications, that may be part of the problem of why there is so much difficulty in finding parts that fit.

AZKen August 26th, 2015 08:04 PM

I was thinking that going by distributor number is IFY. My 1960 305A stock motor and my stock 305E have the same, larger diameter cap with twist lock. So many times PO's may change something, the best thing is to go where you can touch and feel and compare. As you say, old numbers are hard cross ref at auto parts stores. These parts I found are for 67 Chevy K15. Pirate came up with the same part number that I did using a different search technique. I think it's a done deal. I got my clue from the outside GMC Guru info I posted.

AngryPirate August 27th, 2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 58968)

This one is an EXACT match.

Good work Ken.

In case the website link goes away in the future, the cap details are:

MasterPro Ignition - Distributor Cap
Part # 2-4211

Thanks bud!

AZKen August 27th, 2015 11:40 PM

Now get that thing runn'in. Let us know. You and I are in the 1960 GMC SWB Fleet Club! Widesiders!:crazyyippee:

AngryPirate August 31st, 2015 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's alive!

That noise you here in the background is someone in the shop hammering on something, not my engine.

A little video of it running: https://youtu.be/AA6yZaNUXaI

Thanks for all the help folks!

AZKen August 31st, 2015 07:33 PM

Smooooth

bigblockv6 August 31st, 2015 10:38 PM

Actually in later years, 66-74 the small cap with no window was the most common, the window style cap on these engines in later years was non existent.

TJ's GMC September 1st, 2015 02:46 AM

Sounds good! Nice and smooth like the big dawgs they are. lol Mine chugs at a level 700 rpm.

TJ's GMC September 1st, 2015 02:47 AM

Sounds good! Nice and smooth like the big dawgs they are. lol Mine chugs at a level 700 rpm.