6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Just saying hello (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47964)

1969_CM2590D January 4th, 2014 11:06 PM

Just saying hello

3 Attachment(s)
I figured I'd better join. I'm picking up a 1969 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup with a 305 and a NP 4-speed. I'm rather amazed, it's just what I wanted. I thought it would take something like an eternity and I was ready to accept a '67-'68 Chevy 292 as the likely outcome- But I found this on the first day of the hunt and jumped on it. It needs a little here and there, but the rust is all surface rust and there is some barn rash on the bed. Nonetheless it will go to work soon as I haul my 1961 Corvair wagon and my 1964 Karmann Ghia hither and yon for things (oh yes and my Case 446 garden tractor as well).

BarryGMC January 5th, 2014 08:31 AM

Re: Just saying hello

Welcome. Looks good. Post. Some more pics of the truck and of the corvair. I am a fan of both. Barry

jbgroby January 5th, 2014 08:34 AM

Welcome, glad you are aboard

GMCDAC January 5th, 2014 09:09 AM

Welcome from the Black Hills! looking forward to more pics and info about your rides, especially the GMC.
i just noticed it has a dealer bumper on it! I like that too! Great truck.
DAC

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 10:23 AM

5 Attachment(s)
For those of you curious, here's a few shots of the projects.

You can see, especially with the Corvair, why I need a hauler. Once I get moved and get them inside it's time to take them apart and clean/refinish.

After that? Maybe a Brass car? :)

Dennis Nichols

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 10:31 AM

Congratulations on your find! That 69 is truly a rare truck, being it's the very last of the "real" GMC powered pickup trucks.

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 10:38 AM

Somewhere I read they dropped the V6 halfway through the 1969 model year, is that true? By the way the dealer was Dunham GMC in Birmingham, Al. I guess that's a GMC accessory step bumper?

(The 'Vair wagon was dropped halfway through the 1962 model year- fewer were made total in '61-'62 than tri five Nomad/Safaris during their run. It was dropped for the ragtop)

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll toss in the SPID as well. I assume the NP435 M25 trans is a granny (435GA?). I have the "restoration package" for the 1969 Chevy and it lists the M28 NP435 as the close ratio variant. I wonder if the M25 is the same as a Ford NP435?

Dennis

Funky61 January 5th, 2014 11:24 AM

Best wishes on such a quick find of what you really wanted! Would post some pictures of the rims and hubcaps please? Thanks and of course Welcome!

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you folks for the warm welcome and congrats.

This the best photo I have at the time for the rims and hubcaps, Barry. The driver's side has wheels/caps like the one in the front here. Hubcaps are white. 8 lug painted wheels. Possibly I get a decal set for the rear cap in the pic? I expect it's a different cap that a 1/2 ton. Once I get down there to get it, I'll get a complete photo survey done since it's remarkably original.

Dennis

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 12:01 PM

According to Bob Bray the V6 was dropped around March 1969 in light duty trucks, after that you could still get the V6 as a dealer installed option up to 1972. Looking at the pics of the truck Dennis just acquired it appears to be a very early production 1969 model because the tailgate has the smaller GMC logo on it carried over from the 67-68 models. Generally the 69 models had the huge logo on the tailgate but a few did get the smaller one.

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 12:03 PM

No decal set for the hubcaps, it will have to be carefully masked and painted or replaced with a reproduction cap.

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 51693)
No decal set for the hubcaps, it will have to be carefully masked and painted or replaced with a reproduction cap.

Well, It looks like "GMC" is stamped in that rear hubcap, so I'll have to revive my model building/painting skills. The fact on the tailgate is quite interesting, but not surprising. I can remember as a kid the very first cars of a model year used up various pieces of run-out stock. The most obvious were... the hubcaps from the previous model year!

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 12:14 PM

According to the 1969 GMC Owner's Manual the NP435 was offered in two versions, the close ratio NP435GA with a 4.56:1 first gear and the NP435GL with a 6.68:1 first gear. According to the VIN your truck was built in the Baltimore assembly plant.

1969_CM2590D January 5th, 2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 51695)
According to the 1969 GMC Owner's Manual the NP435 was offered in two versions, the close ratio NP435GA with a 4.56:1 first gear and the NP435GL with a 6.68:1 first gear. According to the VIN your truck was built in the Baltimore assembly plant.

I guess I'll have to see what I can find on the M25 vs. M28 NP code. Of course if I have to shift out of low at 3 MPH, that will answer the question.

As I went down to look over the truck I got overtaken with a rather nasty cold/flu thing. So I was sort of on autopilot checking it out, looking for the weakest areas, but not as thorough as I might have been. Nonetheless, I got a very good sense about the truck. There is an owners manual and a file of bills to go with it.

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 12:27 PM

The tailgate background on 67-69 was painted in what was called "non smudge aluminum" GM code 575 and PPG code number 8568 available now only in their OMNI Basecoat line of automotive paints, in can be cross linked to Dupont's automotive paint line as well. Around 1970 the aluminum color was replaced with the Chivy trucks, obviously a production line cost saver as all GMC light duty trucks were coming out of the same assembly plants as Chevrolet trucks and certain models like the Jimmy and Suburban and possibly trucks with rear coil spring suspension were coming off Chevrolet Truck assembly lines.

bigblockv6 January 5th, 2014 12:30 PM

I meant to say around 1970 the aluminum background tailgate color was replaced with white, black also came in on white colored trucks some time on 1968

Ed Snyder January 5th, 2014 11:53 PM

When Pete (bigblockV6) said that "you could still get the V6 as a dealer installed option up to 1972" it brought back memories of my first purchase of a new truck in 1972. I got quotes from the local Chevy and GMC dealers for new short wide 4WD pickups. The Chevy had the ubiquitous 350 V8 of course. But for the GMC, I had the dealer quote it with a dealer-installed 351E V6 in place of the V8 it would have come from the factory with. Unfortunately, the price quoted for the GMC came to about $4500 while the Chevy was about $3500. So I ordered the Chevy. Two and a half years later the Chevy was stolen and never recovered. I always wondered if I had ordered the GMC instead, if I would still have it.

GMC Guy January 6th, 2014 03:16 AM

Hubcaps are correct, it's just that the rear caps need to be repainted. The front is obviously the Argent Silver style. Caps were the same for 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton models. See 1960's GMC Hubcaps, Wheel Covers and Rims for reference.

Here is a link to another unique GMC V6 powered truck in the later body style. See 1967 GMC C35 dump truck.

GMCDAC January 6th, 2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969_CM2590D (Post 51681)
(oh yes and my Case 446 garden tractor as well).

I didn't want to change your subject but I dig old garden tractors too, I have '65 and '75 Massey Ferguson's that do my yardwork and snow removal.
Would love seeing pics in the "Other Projects" forum on this site!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969_CM2590D (Post 51686)
For those of you curious, here's a few shots of the projects.

You can see, especially with the Corvair, why I need a hauler. Once I get moved and get them inside it's time to take them apart and clean/refinish.

After that? Maybe a Brass car? :)

Dennis Nichols

How 'bout a brass era GMC! I would roll in that Corvair, great little car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1969_CM2590D (Post 51694)
Well, It looks like "GMC" is stamped in that rear hubcap, so I'll have to revive my model building/painting skills. The fact on the tailgate is quite interesting, but not surprising. I can remember as a kid the very first cars of a model year used up various pieces of run-out stock. The most obvious were... the hubcaps from the previous model year!

You shouldn't have any problem repainting your caps, especially if you were a die-hard model car builder at one time. My '72 C2500 didn't have hubcaps with it even though it was only 7 years old when I bought it. Could never find any for it locally and when the internet came around the price of GMC hubcaps were way out of my budget! About 10 years ago a guy gave me a set of Chevy caps off a '73 he was scrapping. I have an old vinyl cutter for sign making so I made my own GMC stickers to cover the bowtie, and no one ever knew the difference even though the shape was there. Need to make some new ones pretty soon though. Stickers only last so long out in the weather!

Thanks for your posts!---DAC

1969_CM2590D January 8th, 2014 10:47 AM

Your Welcome, Doug. I'll put pics of the Case 446 over on Other Projects.

Dennis

GMCDAC January 8th, 2014 06:24 PM

OK Thanks Dennis!

DAC

1969_CM2590D January 13th, 2014 08:01 PM

I paid for the '69 today, swamped cash for paperwork and drove it back to my sister's. It really does pull! Took many corners in second! The trip to my sister's went well, but some stuff did show up. Brakes pull to the left, steering seems to be a bit slack. Drove the truck around town and it develeloped a pretty serious tendency to stall. Wanted to die with the choke all the way in, after running driving it for a bit it stalled when engaging the clutch. Sputtered and spit a bit, pulling the choke out some helped but not much. After the spuutering it would kick right in with lots of power. Stop and pull away again and things would start all over again. I'd normally piddle with all this myself, but to get it ready for my 450 mile trip to my home, I'm going to get the the steering and brakes looked at, and the tomng and carb adjustments checked- the breather and pcv as well..

Even with all that, I'm pretty pleased- happy as a clam!

I'll take more and better photos tomorrow and get them up ASAP.