6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GMC Print Art (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48586)

1960HDGMC January 13th, 2015 04:07 PM

GMC Print Art

Hello, I am looking for any really good quality pictures that can be downloaded ,printed and put on the wall, in the house or the garage. Not just great photographs, but get creative. Pages from service manuals. Covers of books about these trucks. I have blown up schematics from service books, to use as visual aids while in the garage. There is a great thread going about Garage Art. It covers objects d' art. Grills, lights truck parts etc. In the same vein, this thread is sort of a place to post all the great printed art that you think others might like to see or even print and hang in there garage. Rare, tangentially related, and just plain cool print art is really appreciated. Here are a few for example. I scanned these at 600DPI. They will print a 16x20 and look great. Thanks for sharing, Greg Mead

FetchMeAPepsi January 13th, 2015 11:19 PM

Re: GMC Print Art

I bet Jolly has a TON of this stuff. He has old manuals and sales papers too. I bought a few things when I got Cecilia, but I don't know that you'd be interested in any of it. Nothing is too special.

1960HDGMC January 14th, 2015 01:45 PM

Fetch, I have a lot of good scanned material, mainly 1960 specific. But I have a hard time loading it on here. I get "page can not be displayed" type notice almost every time I try and upload. Any clue what to do? I have the slowest DSL in the world, but I can not get just one picture to load most of the time. Any help, greatly appreciated, Greg Mead

Andice January 14th, 2015 01:54 PM

There is a maximum on image file size for posting on this site. Try shrinking your image(s) and you may have more luck.

1960HDGMC January 14th, 2015 01:58 PM

Thanks Andice, On the stuff that I can re-scan, I will lower the DPI from 600 to 300. Is there another way to make the scanned stuff smaller, and still get good results when enlarging for prints? Greg Mead

1960HDGMC January 14th, 2015 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the cover of a 1960 UMS booklet. It has great pics and info on batteries and replacable components of these GMC,and other GM brands. 1.3 MB at 300DPI It took 1 minute,50 seconds to load.

1960HDGMC January 14th, 2015 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two pics I pulled from a 1960 GMC Dealer newspaper called,what else,"GMC NEWS". It says that the poster was sent to GMC Service dealers. Anyone seen or got one. Since the text was not color, I do not know what the colors on the poster were. The picture of the guys adjusting the valves on the new V-6,is just too cool. I love the jump suits. They look like the guys from a James Bond film. Anyone else have any pictures from back then of your local GMC Shops? I would like to see them. Thanks, Greg Mead

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 07:51 PM

Hey you got it working! I made a video about posting pics when I got started on my thread because people were always asking. You can upload any supersize pics with this way.

http://6066gmcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48107

GMCDAC January 16th, 2015 02:02 AM

Wish I could help, Greg, but so far all the GMC I stuff have collected skips 60-66. Keep posting your cool stuff!

DAC

6066gmcguy January 16th, 2015 03:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Those Big ads from life and other large format mags of the day are nice when framed.

1960HDGMC January 16th, 2015 10:01 PM

Yes those ads look great framed. My concern about framing them is that some are so thin,I fear they may fade in a garage. If I can scan them on a larger scanner, I could print and frame and keep the originals out of the light. Does anyone know where there are scanners big enough to do these great big pieces? I have a GMC Brands poster that is HUGE and rare. It is from 1992. I would love to scan it and ad it here for anyone that might like it. It has all the badging thru the years up to 1992. Any ideas appreciated, Greg Mead

FetchMeAPepsi January 16th, 2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 56456)
Yes those ads look great framed. My concern about framing them is that some are so thin,I fear they may fade in a garage. If I can scan them on a larger scanner, I could print and frame and keep the originals out of the light. Does anyone know where there are scanners big enough to do these great big pieces? I have a GMC Brands poster that is HUGE and rare. It is from 1992. I would love to scan it and ad it here for anyone that might like it. It has all the badging thru the years up to 1992. Any ideas appreciated, Greg Mead

Kinkos might do it on their commercial scanners.

Ed Snyder January 17th, 2015 01:39 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know where there are scanners big enough to do these great big pieces? I have a GMC Brands poster that is HUGE and rare. It is from 1992. I would love to scan it and ad it here for anyone that might like it. It has all the badging thru the years up to 1992. Any ideas appreciated, Greg Mead

Greg --

You could try just taking a digital photo of your poster, then having a WalMart poster made from your photo. I've taken lots of photos of photos, and they usually turn out pretty good.

GMCDAC January 17th, 2015 02:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hi Greg, I don't blame you for wanting to preserve the originals and make copies for display. What I have been doing for quite some time now is to simply take pictures of the brochures or pamplets. I used to do it by just holding the camera as perfectly centered and square on the object and fill the camera frame. With a bunch of practice I got pretty good at that part but last spring I fell into two great deals. My daughter was throwing away a 14 megapixel camera she said was broken. I said throw it in my shop's garbage! I was able to fix it and love it! Then my wife's cousin's had bought an old fixer-upper house for a residence. Both are single moms. Anyway they were cleaning out the garage and found some old photo enlarging equipment and they sent it all our way. These modern digital cameras still have the same screw hole on the bottom that the old 35mm's had. It works great!

I took these pics with my old 5 MP camera as the battery for the 14 is on the charger tonight. I didn't take time to square it up perfectly or mess with lighting, but you should get the idea. Even the 5 MP camera should have a detailed enough pic to blow this double page brochure up well to 22x28.

Flash or no flash and lighting is the hardest part when trying to reproduce well. If the picture-taker is slightly off-square, a little cropping takes care of that most the time. My scanner will do that scan and stitch stuff but I've not had time to learn that.

DAC

1960HDGMC January 17th, 2015 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a poster from 1990. I have never seen another one. I would love to scan it and make it available to others. Greg Mead

1960HDGMC January 19th, 2015 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on a cleaned up version of the 1960 GMC Operator Manual. It will print much better than the first, uncleaned version I posted. Meantime, here is an ad I found on Ebay. It is from 1960. Do you reckon they had the same colors on the GMC Training Center uniforms from the picture I posted earlier? Pressed pants on the mechanic and a lady in the car,in the service area,man times have changed. Greg Mead

1960HDGMC January 21st, 2015 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the 1960 GMC Operators Manual cover, cleaned up, compressed to 320KB version. It would not load at 11.2MB size. This was the biggest size the program would let me choose. I do not know if this will print OK or not.

GMCDAC January 21st, 2015 02:17 AM

Hey Greg, I downloaded this pic from your build thread at 6.46 MB awhile back.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 21st, 2015 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 56546)
Here is the 1960 GMC Operators Manual cover, cleaned up, compressed to 320KB version. It would not load at 11.2MB size. This was the biggest size the program would let me choose. I do not know if this will print OK or not.

For big files you can use something like uploaded.net or rapidgator.com. They host it free and you can put up to 1gb on some of them.

Great poster, btw. I'd be intereted in printing one up for the garage here.

GMCDAC January 21st, 2015 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This should be it at 6.46 MB again.

1960HDGMC January 21st, 2015 01:38 PM

Hey DAC, If you can compare this version to the new version, you will see I did a lot of cleaning, digitally, on the new one. I guess that's why it went up to 11.2MB,from 6.5MB. The easy tell is the missing 1960 ink pin letters in the very top right corner. It is erased in this new version, along with a lot of work on the cops uniform to repair an old crease line. The booklet had been folded in two for years, before I got it, and it has a seam horizontally across the front. I did what I could, but maybe someone else can get it closer to perfect. I just worry that the compressed new version might not print a 16x20 really well. Later, Greg Mead.

GMCDAC January 22nd, 2015 02:52 AM

Opps, sorry I didn't understand your point on the smaller pic, Greg. I thought it sounded like you were having some downloading troubles. The one I'm going to print is the original version as some wear doesn't bother me and that's the way I remember it as a kid. The smaller version will make a great 8x10 but I can't tell you if it will go 16x20 well.

I meant to ask earlier, what are the dimensions of the original cover?

DAC

1960HDGMC January 22nd, 2015 02:12 PM

Hey DAC, I just measured the 1960 GMC OM cover. It is 7 1/2" x 9 7/8". I uploaded two versions of this 1960 manual. The first was larger and has 1960 written in ink on the upper right edge. The second version of this same picture has been cleaned and compressed. It does not have the ink pin written "1960" in the upper right corner. I could not get the cleaned up version to load until I compressed it. There is a lot of damage on the first version. You can use a program to erase most of it ,and get a much better print. Maybe I can email the 11.3 MB cleaned version to you. PM me and I will be glad to try and send it to you directly. Later, Greg Mead

GMCDAC January 23rd, 2015 01:44 AM

Hello Greg, thanks for those dimensions. I'm probably going to print both of your versions at 8x10 as I just don't have poster size areas left on the wall of the shop. I suppose the ceiling is an option but admiring it there would be a pain in the neck---LOL! If you want to try to email the 11.3 one that's cool, if it comes through I will save and maybe use it someday.

DAC