6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New to the Group (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49638)

OrangeCrush2 October 5th, 2016 02:13 PM

New to the Group

Hello!! My first was a '65 Chevy SNB my dad bought me when I was 14. I restored that truck in my teens and nicknamed it the "Orange Crush" since I painted it an early 70's Corvette orange w/ a white cab. I got stupid in my 20's and sold it. Dad passed away last year and I really started missing him and my old truck. In April I lucked into a 1966 GMC K1000 SWB. The truck is pretty much original except the 283 has been replaced with a nicely built 350 some years ago. The original bed being in really bad shape got set aside and I found a super clean stepside bed with the spare tire mount just like my old truck. I'm in heaven !!! I will be upgrading the axles, adding power brakes and steering I have from an old '77 suburban. The rest will be keeping with the original design. I will start the frame off restoration in the near future after I put up a shop to work on it in. Ideas and thoughts are always welcome. Looking forward to posting the progress and helping others where I can.

HOTRODJOHN October 6th, 2016 03:56 AM

Re: New to the Group

Sounds good, looking forward in seeing all the updates. The guys on this site are great and have a bundle of information. Welcome, John

OrangeCrush2 October 6th, 2016 04:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos of the future OrangeCrush2 as she sits now. She will move under her own power but stopping is fun with no brakes...:ahhhh:

Ed Snyder October 6th, 2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2 (Post 63961)
Hello!! In April I lucked into a 1966 GMC K1000 SWB. The truck is pretty much original except the 283 has been replaced with a nicely built 350 some years ago. I will start the frame off restoration in the near future after I put up a shop to work on it in. Ideas and thoughts are always welcome. Looking forward to posting the progress and helping others where I can.

The original engine would have been an inline 6 or a V6, not a 283 which was strictly a Chevy engine in 1966. You'll find forum members very helpful, but I'm sure most of us hope you'll replace that 350 with a V6 as part of your frame off restoration. :thumbsup:

Cayoterun October 6th, 2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2 (Post 63961)
Hello!! My first was a '65 Chevy SNB my dad bought me when I was 14. I restored that truck in my teens and nicknamed it the "Orange Crush" since I painted it an early 70's Corvette orange w/ a white cab. I got stupid in my 20's and sold it. Dad passed away last year and I really started missing him and my old truck. In April I lucked into a 1966 GMC K1000 SWB. The truck is pretty much original except the 283 has been replaced with a nicely built 350 some years ago. The original bed being in really bad shape got set aside and I found a super clean stepside bed with the spare tire mount just like my old truck. I'm in heaven !!! I will be upgrading the axles, adding power brakes and steering I have from an old '77 suburban. The rest will be keeping with the original design. I will start the frame off restoration in the near future after I put up a shop to work on it in. Ideas and thoughts are always welcome. Looking forward to posting the progress and helping others where I can.

Welcome to the group: I'm famaliar with your home country. I spent alot of my teen years down in the Siloam Springs, Gentry, Decatur, Ark area. Still go there pretty often to visit. Enjoy your truck, and memories of the old one.

Lived at Noel, Mo. for awhile in the early '70s. Miss that beautiful country, except your summer humidity.

OrangeCrush2 October 7th, 2016 01:29 AM

I will look for another forum then since members of this place has made it known that my small block can be discussed elsewhere. I thought that a place named 6066GMC would include all GMC's, not just those stuck on strictly leaving things original. Ford didn't offer a 351W in pickups in the late 70's, but they could be special ordered, I've seen 3.

Mr. Moderator.. Please remove my membership, posts and photos... Thank You!!!

TJ's GMC October 7th, 2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2 (Post 63987)
I will look for another forum then since members of this place has made it known that my small block can be discussed elsewhere. I thought that a place named 6066GMC would include all GMC's, not just those stuck on strictly leaving things original. Ford didn't offer a 351W in pickups in the late 70's, but they could be special ordered, I've seen 3.

Mr. Moderator.. Please remove my membership, posts and photos... Thank You!!!

Didn't mean to sound offensive! Hence the LOL. Sorry.

bobdylan October 7th, 2016 01:17 PM

Did I miss something? I think it is a little different, if you buy a truck with incorrect engine, than trashing an original v6 for a small block. I like to see all of these trucks saved, even if it ends up with a small block.

HOTRODJOHN October 7th, 2016 04:08 PM

I am in agreement with Bob, Just saving that truck is important. I have been the odd ball in my group, everyone had Camaro's & Chevy pick up's, I had a New 67 Pontiac Firebird and then a New GMC pick-up a year later because I didn't want to borrow a truck to pick-up motors and transmissions. So to me anyway you have it is good for me. John

FetchMeAPepsi October 7th, 2016 04:22 PM

I for one wish you had the original 305, but you got it with the 350 so like Mama June says "Uh...It is what it is, you know" so go with it. Now if on the other hand you already had a 305 and were following the derp crowd, ripping the historic motor out to put a cookie-cutter SBC in there, well I'm sure we'd all have to kill ya. ;)

So yeah, post that progress! Let's see more pics! Saving old iron is worth it. No need to get hung up on something that happened before you came along. :thumbsup: