6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Other Rides and Projects (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GMCDAC's GMCs (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47944)

fyrboy January 7th, 2014 03:05 PM

Re: GMCDAC's GMCs

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 51594)
(I have an old "Fyr Fyter" extinguisher hanging in my shop and your spelling reminded me--LOL!)

That's what gave me the idea for my license tag. Let it lapse in '95. I omitted the "E" because I didn't want it to all appear as one word, & NC allows 8 characters max. Enjoyed watching folks decipher it as I looked at them in my mirror. Their expression was even more-appreciated if they had to think about it a while.:headscratch::ahhhh::cheers:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

GMCDAC January 7th, 2014 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrboy (Post 51748)
That's what gave me the idea for my license tag. Let it lapse in '95. I omitted the "E" because I didn't want it to all appear as one word, & NC allows 8 characters max. Enjoyed watching folks decipher it as I looked at them in my mirror. Their expression was even more-appreciated if they had to think about it a while.:headscratch::ahhhh::cheers:

Ha! That's a pretty cool plate! I bet a lot of folks were baffled. Here's my extinguisher.

DAC

GMCDAC March 6th, 2014 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It finally got above freezing here so when I got home from work I fired up a couple old GMCs. The '55 usually gets to be in the shop but I have a friends racecar in there so it is out in the cold too!

DAC

tommyduncan March 6th, 2014 02:15 AM

Just now seeing this!
...good stuff.

GMCDAC March 7th, 2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 52387)
Just now seeing this!
...good stuff.

Thank-you sir!

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi March 8th, 2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 52386)
It finally got above freezing here so when I got home from work I fired up a couple old GMCs. The '55 usually gets to be in the shop but I have a friends racecar in there so it is out in the cold too!

DAC

Those poor babies! you need to toss that junky ol' racecar out in the snow and warm them up good! :lolsmack:

I really dig that 55. I'd like to see those build pics you have when you feel like it. I might start one as a project once I finish Cecilia as a "modernize" style build like the one on "Last Man Standing". I can't see messing up my GMC, but an old chevy from the 50's I can probably get over modernizing.

Great trucks! You're a lucky man!:yeeuh::yeeuh:

GMCDAC March 9th, 2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52403)
Those poor babies! you need to toss that junky ol' racecar out in the snow and warm them up good! :lolsmack:

I really dig that 55. I'd like to see those build pics you have when you feel like it. I might start one as a project once I finish Cecilia as a "modernize" style build like the one on "Last Man Standing". I can't see messing up my GMC, but an old chevy from the 50's I can probably get over modernizing.

Great trucks! You're a lucky man!:yeeuh::yeeuh:

Yeah-LOL the racecar needs to go! I am lettering it so it better stay inside till I'm done, hopefully by tomorrow evening, maybe Monday.

Glad you like the '55. When I get the racecar outa here I will try to start the thread but it probably won't be liked too well, the GMC 248 six was replaced with a mid sixties Chevy 230 long before I got the truck. Other than that it is about all the modernization that one got besides the tires and a CD player, and that was only because someone hacked the radio hole in the dash.

I'm glad you don't want to mess up Cecilia and the road you travel with her suits me fine! It has to be a blast for you all going through all the trials of gettin' an old GMC roadworthy! I think these GMCs have a better story to tell when some of their past is preserved even if you don't know it's past like me with the '55.

You hit the nail on the head with modernizing a Chevy, I have heard that the post WWII production numbers were about 4 or 5 Chevys to 1 GMC clear up to 1972 and maybe even after that. If I hot rodded a Chevy pickup I bet it would end up with a GMC grill and tailgate on it though!-LOL!

Later---DAC

GMCDAC March 20th, 2014 01:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 52403)
Those poor babies! you need to toss that junky ol' racecar out in the snow and warm them up good!

Been too busy to post but that "junky ol' racecar"--LOL was finished a week ago. The owner couldn't come get it due to a family health issue. He was able to come get it Friday night and the '55 came right in after sweeping the shop floor. Had a couple more inches of snow Saturday and 3 or 4 Monday night! Our first blizzard this winter was October 4th with 31 inches---enuff is enuff already!

Here's that racecar I lettered then maybe I can do a brief rundown on the '55 in the next few days.

DAC

GMCDAC August 26th, 2014 12:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all, I don't know if this will be of interest, but I have had to build a set of heads recently for my '72 GMC (SBC sorry!) and I never really liked my old valve spring compressor. I remembered seeing pics of one that someone built out af a c-clamp years ago and decided to copy that idea. I had an 8" clamp and a 1/2" pipe coupling. Holes were ground in both sides of the coupling and then it was tack welded to the stationary end of the clamp. It worked real well and there is plenty of room to install the seal and retainers through the holes in the coupling. Here are a few pics.

DAC

GMCDAC September 23rd, 2014 02:31 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! I don't know what the heck I have gotten myself into now but here are some pics of our "new" monstrosity. My Uncle-In-Law called last night and said he had a free slide-in cabover camper that he didn't want to scrap but he felt it had no value otherwise. They had recently purchased a pull-behind so they could get up in it easier. I knew this camper and that it was in great condition for being from the early '70s BUT I don't have a truck to come get it on a 3 hour round trip right now. My '72 is still undergoing repairs. He said he only wanted to unload it one last time as they had been all over the country with it this summer so they even delivered it today.

Yeah, it is SO big that it has an extra axle on it so a 3/4 ton truck can handle it.

Got a ton of original paperwork too but have not been able to go through it all yet.

Well, be prepared------

DAC