6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   11 pin round wiring on back of gauge cluster (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51303)

CALGMC March 4th, 2022 05:35 PM

Re: 11 pin round wiring on back of gauge cluster

5 Attachment(s)
more pics:

CALGMC March 4th, 2022 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So my approach will be to disassemble from behind female portion of plug salvaging the harness for future use if and when I find a factory assembly. I will unfortunately need a factory panel in order to use my aftermarket gauge panel. It requires the shell of an original dash panel. I hate to cut up a factory panel to use my aftermarket gauges. Does anyone know of a back panel for these aftermarket gauges? Or does anyone know where I can find a nice panel so I can ditch the after market stuff for a clean dash panel and use my stock harness?

James March 4th, 2022 05:54 PM

All you have to do is remove the male contacts from the connector shell and install new male contacts on the harness you cut out from the Chevy gauge cluster. You will need to figure out where the wires need to go in the connector. I don't have a wiring diagram to be able to tell you which one goes where. This will be your adapter harness.

CALGMC March 4th, 2022 06:12 PM

great, thanks for the help.

AZKen March 4th, 2022 08:12 PM

PM me if you need help wiring it up or finding parts.

AZKen March 7th, 2022 01:59 AM

Just to be sure, you stated it correctly in post #12, but the connector in your hand is not the connector you will be removing contacts from.

CALGMC March 8th, 2022 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So in post #12 I stated that I was planning on pulling pins from the harness and salvaging the factory GMC harness for future use. Since I have other items to complete the project i am putting the wiring portion on hold in hopes I can find a factory instrument panel.

James March 8th, 2022 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CALGMC (Post 75384)
So in post #12 I stated that I was planning on pulling pins from the harness and salvaging the factory GMC harness for future use. Since I have other items to complete the project i am putting the wiring portion on hold in hopes I can find a factory instrument panel.

You should pull the pins from the other two connectors (the one your holding and it mate) and use it on the Chevy harness. All you need is to install male pins on the Chevy harness. This will be your adapter harness.

Funky61 March 8th, 2022 05:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
CALGMC; To use that aluminum insert you will need a 60-61 cluster panel like this one. You will need to cut a few extra holes here and there.

It's a metal panel as opposed to the later plastic gauge clusters.

CALGMC March 9th, 2022 06:20 AM

James, funky61, thanks, I will purchase the chevy dash harness and modify accordingly to adapt it to plug into my factory harness. Appreciate the help on the billet dash, I'm on the hunt for a used 60 to 61 panel so I can use my aftermarket gauges. Appreciate all if the forum help.