6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Holley Carburetor Conversion (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48394)

AngryPirate December 24th, 2021 07:32 PM

Re: Holley Carburetor Conversion

Is there any reason why people don't use an electric/automatic choke with these engines?

BobBray December 24th, 2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 75013)
Is there any reason why people don't use an electric/automatic choke with these engines?

No specific reason why you couldn't use an electric choke. These engines always had a manual choke, as does the popular 350 and 500 cfm Holley 2300 series 2bbl. carburetors do, Knob is already in the dash, so that's why I went with a manual choke.

AngryPirate December 24th, 2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 75014)
No specific reason why you couldn't use an electric choke. These engines always had a manual choke, as does the popular 350 and 500 cfm Holley 2300 series 2bbl. carburetors do, Knob is already in the dash, so that's why I went with a manual choke.

Good to know. Thanks for the response.

Ed Snyder December 25th, 2021 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 75014)

The Edelbrock 1406 on my 401M has an electric choke. It works well.

jbgroby December 25th, 2021 01:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Brian,

I too have made the swap to the 2-barrel set up. My carb is a Holley 4412 model. I found a dual intake and installed that using the Mr. Gasket adaptor as stated above. I used the Mr. Gasket air filter designed to fit the Holley $20.00, I cabinet blasted and painted it under hood black.

The other issues I ran into was the accelerator bell crank throttle hookup. The carb is wider, and the alignment is thrown off. So, I simply made a new linkage. (See pics).

I recently changed transmission and went with a wire cable throttle set up.

I also wanted the look of an oil bath type air cleaner, so i used the base from the new Mr. Gasket breather as the foundation (fits the top of the Holley) and I set an oil bath cleaner on top (after I removed all the steel wool and cut the guts out) I used a correct sized diameter dry air filter for the inside.)

James January 1st, 2022 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryPirate (Post 75013)

I installed an electric choke on mine. Never did like the manual choke, wife always leaving it on when she drive. Then complain it not running right.

Jupiterssun November 18th, 2022 06:50 PM

So i bought me a Dump Truck with a v6 401. And it already has the conversion. But as i search for gaskets i realize is that there is 2 types of intakes. The number you all show is for a square bolt on adapter. Mine is not. My intake is 3 3/16 on top and 4 1/2 bottom probably not exact but you get my point. I'm looking for a thick gasket carb to intake. It had one when i pulled it. And this motor ran awesome. Don't want to change what works. Appreciate all your links. Thank you. O and the question of how many quarts for a 8 quart motor is 7.5 better short short then over filled.😁

Funky61 November 18th, 2022 07:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Jupiterssun!

It would be neat to see some pics of the Dump Truck.

Mike's Carburetors page and it's the base gasket for a Magnum Intake.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Str...49_p_4737.html

jbgroby November 19th, 2022 01:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Brian,

Have you given any thought to the accelerator linkage? When I did my conversion, the '60 305 had the multi-piece bell linkage, I have to make my own connector rod out of a piece of flay 1/8" think aluminum. It was easy to make and bend in the offset. (see pictures). They may have made something for this, but at the time I could not find anything. Hope this help.

jbgroby November 19th, 2022 01:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Brain,

This is my airbreather modification, I want a more OEM look so I found an older oil filled breather and modified it to take a dry element. I used the base of the Mr. Gasket 14" cheap airbreather and cut it to fit the bottom of my older breather