6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Here we go.... 65 Suburban 4x4 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49268)

kchampagne March 7th, 2016 03:26 PM

Here we go.... 65 Suburban 4x4

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I figure I should start a build thread for my 65 GMC Suburban I got a few weeks ago. It will probably be a slow build over 2 years. My honey-do-list is pretty big this summer, so I probably won't get to too much on the Burb.

When I got it I was told it was a one-owner vehicle and the 305e was rebuilt approximately 10,000 miles ago. The front and rear axles were swapped with a 72 Blazer with front disc brakes. However, the Burb sat since the early 90s. There is rust in the normal places, but nothing that can't be fixed with new metal. The homemade bumpers currently on it are going to the scrap yard and I will replace with original bumpers. Okay that is a start, so here we go!

kchampagne March 7th, 2016 03:30 PM

Re: Here we go.... 65 Suburban 4x4

3 Attachment(s)
After trying to get the "rebuilt" engine running right, I discovered bent pushrods, broken wrist pins, and scored cylinder.

kchampagne March 7th, 2016 03:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I moved on to another engine (305d) I got from Rustbucket this weekend. I tore it down to look at the internals and replace all seals and gaskets, then paint it. Everything looks great!

Funky61 March 7th, 2016 10:47 PM

That's a nice looking Burb KC and I like the barn doors.
I see dual slider windows. Do you have all the seats?
What are your plans for the wheels; steeliess or aftermarket?
Glad you have another engine to get it going.

kchampagne March 8th, 2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 61037)
That's a nice looking Burb KC and I like the barn doors.
I see dual slider windows. Do you have all the seats?
What are your plans for the wheels; steeliess or aftermarket?
Glad you have another engine to get it going.

Hey thanks Funky61! I think it is going to be a real cool 4x4 when done. When I got it, it only had front seats that were buckets from a mid 70s Blazer. I bought a nice original Burb bench seat that needs reupholstered. Still looking for original rear seats. The ones I have found here in Colorado are real pricey, almost as much as I paid for the Burb! I am definitely going with 16" steelies with some 60s or 70s 4x4 dog dishes. I am going to try to keep it as original as possible, but add my own little tweaks. Should be fun!!!

FetchMeAPepsi March 8th, 2016 02:29 AM

Another 4x4 in the club! Woot woot! :crazyyippee::woohoowave:

That's a beefy looking Burb. Subscribing to this one! :thumbsup:

I bought all the parts (I think) to refresh the Rockwell trans case. The parts numbers are in my build thread if you have to do yours.

TJ's GMC March 9th, 2016 07:00 PM

In for the build. :thumbsup:

kchampagne March 13th, 2016 05:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A little progress on the engine this weekend. New expansion plugs because I hit them with the pressure washer and poked a hole in two of them. Oops. New rear main seal. The top half of the old one was a pain to get out. It was the rope/braided type. I could not get it to move enough to get the pliers on it. MacGyver time. I had to take a small screw and gently thread it into the center of the braids of the old seal. The threads grabbed enough of the seal that I was able to get enough leverage to pull it out. Whew.

kchampagne March 13th, 2016 05:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Fresh paint on the block and cleaned up the valve covers. The paint on the edge of the valve covers was chipping off, so I cleaned them up and put a coat of black engine paint on the lip. Then I put a few coats of engine clear on them. What do you think? There was really no way to "touch up" the plaid. At least it shouldn't chip anymore and should be more durable.

MrCos March 13th, 2016 06:17 AM

keep up the great work!