6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47298)

6066gmcguy January 23rd, 2013 02:46 AM

1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad

This is not really a build but a Journal for my 1965 GMC 3500 with Black Built Bodies Rescue Squad.

This truck was on ebay back in about 2002, I really wanted it but could not come up with the money to get it at the time.

Here are the 3 photos they posted on eBay back in 2002.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

More to follow!

6066gmcguy January 25th, 2013 12:52 AM

Re: 1965 GMC 3500 Rescue Squad

It's been really cold here this month, this morning we had freezing rain, but it has warmed up to the point that today is and warmest day of the month, got to about 32* So anyway I was pushing the snow & ice out of the driveway, and was wondering if the old Rescue Squad would even start up. I got in, pulled out the chock, pumped the throtttle and turned the key, it fired right up!!! so I let it run for a while to warm up and make sute the batteries got a full change. I even drove it out of the snow bank and pushed the snow out of the way beofre parking it back here again.

6066gmcguy January 25th, 2013 03:26 AM

A short Video of my Rescue Squad from today.

* Video from last summer

Enjoy!

6066gmcguy January 25th, 2013 04:48 AM

So on with the story of this truck and me.

after having to pass it up in 2002, I didn't give it much thought, then one day some one, I think it was Arthur, sent me an ebay listing for it, that was in spring of 2012. This time around I have some extra money kicking around so I bid on the truck. I got outbid by a bogus bidder just trying to screw me over, but I don't fall for it and never up the bid. so when the auction ends, the other bidder is found to be bogus and they offer me the truck at my first bid.

So I send off the money and hire a truck to bring it across country. Its with a guy I Know from the ATHS, and he is giving me a good price on the move, I just have to wait tell he has a truck coming this way with extra room.

The truck arrived in the last weeks of June. A lot of guys said I should fly our and drive it back, but that would have been a mistake, the truck needed a few things fixed, one exhaust pipe broke off during shipment on the truck! So I had to find a dock we could unload it at, and one was not too far away in Brigham City.

6066gmcguy January 25th, 2013 06:30 AM

Once I get the truck home, I find it is not charging and the batteries won't stay charged.

So I remove th eold 105 amp genarator;

and swap in a smaller, lighter 165 amp Alt.

I had to find a double grove pulley and make a bracket to fit the top of the alt.

Once I had the Power Flowing again I needed some place for it to be stored, so I installed 2 new batteries.

6066gmcguy January 25th, 2013 06:46 AM

After getting the chargine system straightened out, it was off to a friends place to weld up the exhaust pipe.

Then is was time to show off some, here we are doing the Honeyville 4th of July Parade

and then on display at the Honeyville City Park after the Parade.

6066gmcguy January 26th, 2013 05:28 AM

I didn't much time during the last summer to show off the truck after July 4th becasue I spent most of my summer driving charter bus to & thru Yellowstone, so it kinda just sat around while I was gone. Here are some pics of the Black Built Bodies end of the truck.

6066gmcguy January 26th, 2013 05:35 AM

One thing the Guy I bought the truck from didn't know was that there is a Onan Electric Plant onboard, I guess in the few years he had the truck he never opened any onthe rear compartments. I seen the switch on the dash for it and sent a question to him and he had to send some one out to check to see if there was one.

I had it running and it powers the flood lights.

its on slides so you can pull it out to run it.

George Bongert January 27th, 2013 01:32 AM

Greetings to Jolly and the Group!

Looks like you got a little bit of snow there, (nice pictures by the way, a really beautiful truck) and glad your truck fired right up for you. But then, did you have any doubt that it wouldn't fire up? After all, it's a real truck, a GMC. I remember when we towed the 62 GMC pickup home for the engine swap I had planned for my old 63 Chevy, (I-292 six to GMC 305 V-6) the GMC hadn't been started or run in over a year. First thing I remember doing when I got the truck home was to put in new points and condenser and a battery (was -10F and the truck was outdoors when I did it), got in, pushed in the clutch, pulled the choke, cranked it over and got gas to the carb (the gas was rancid on top of all else), and the old fellow fired right up and ran like a Swiss watch. I guess that's what I like about those old V-6 engines is the fact that they were so reliable, and almost indestructable unless they were abused by running without or low on oil, continual overheating, or revving them beyond safe limits. God I miss that old truck!

George Bongert
Oshkosh Wisconsin

6066gmcguy January 27th, 2013 10:01 PM

While I was driving Charter Bus to YellowStone National Park all summer,

I drove the truck around a few times when I was home during the summer when I had days at home, taking photos at Local spots just to get some nice photos of the truck. Here are some pics in Brigham City Utah.

Brigham Citty Oregon Short Line Depot

Brigham City Temple

Brigham City Rail Yards.