6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oil (I think) leak (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49620)

Jmclendon September 29th, 2016 02:22 AM

Re: Oil (I think) leak

Quote:

Found your trouble. You're the mechanic, remember?
LOL I wish. I've never been a car guy. But, there's something about the truck that has piqued my interest enough to do the best that I can. Unfortunately, because I've only recently started learning/tinkering, that means a lot of the work to date has been done by a classic car garage.

Does anyone happen to know what the oil pressure gauge reading should be while it's up and running? At the moment I think I'm running in the 60's, which seems a bit high?

If so, is that something else which would be impacted by having slightly too much oil in it?

AZKen September 29th, 2016 03:50 AM

60 is good......... and no, too much will not will not affect pressure. A little over the full, on stick, is nothing to worry about.

TJ's GMC September 29th, 2016 06:26 PM

Long as your not a quart overfull you'll be fine. I think new pumps are rated at 50 psi. Pending on the thickness of the oil. I need to get a gauge on mine so I can see because I just put a new one in.

My 305 is a 67 so it has the built in PCV system in the heads. With the breathers I have, I have found it common for some oil to dribble out and drip onto the valve cover or towards the back of the motor. After a fairly long drive it's now a custom to pop the hood and wipe the covers down. haha Can't let that pertty paint get oil stained! Never did this until I put the new pump in...telling me the top end if finally getting some oil. Plus...now that the motor is clean internally that helps a tad to. :thumbsup:

Jmclendon September 30th, 2016 12:31 AM

I was a bit off on the oil pressure. It's more like 55 most of the time. Funnily enough, when I checked this morning there was no oil spot. I crawled underneath and cleaned up all around the area where I found the drop coming from. I'm not stressing about it too much at the moment since it's very tiny. But, I think once the new issue that's cropped up has been dealt with I'll have a better look at what's going on and get it fixed (or fix it myself, depending on where the potential leak is located).

bigblockv6 September 30th, 2016 03:48 AM

[QUOTE=TJ's GMC;63836]Long as your not a quart overfull you'll be fine. I think new pumps are rated at 50 psi. Pending on the thickness of the oil. I need to get a gauge on mine so I can see because I just put a new one in.

The V6 oil pumps will show 60-80 psi on the gauge. In fact 67-69 GMC pickups as well as Medium duty trucks with V6 engines up to 74 used a specific 80lb gauge in the instrument cluster. I've seen what happens if you use the 60lb gauge that was for inline 6's and V8's in the V6, the gauge is constantly pegged out.:ahhhh:

TJ's GMC September 30th, 2016 05:31 AM

[QUOTE=bigblockv6;63860]
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 63836)
Long as your not a quart overfull you'll be fine. I think new pumps are rated at 50 psi. Pending on the thickness of the oil. I need to get a gauge on mine so I can see because I just put a new one in.

The V6 oil pumps will show 60-80 psi on the gauge. In fact 67-69 GMC pickups as well as Medium duty trucks with V6 engines up to 74 used a specific 80lb gauge in the instrument cluster. I've seen what happens if you use the 60lb gauge that was for inline 6's and V8's in the V6, the gauge is constantly pegged out.:ahhhh:

Daaaaang! That's what my big block 572 puts out! :ahhhh: :lolsmack2:

Now I really wanna see! haha

AZKen September 30th, 2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmclendon (Post 63853)
I was a bit off on the oil pressure. It's more like 55 most of the time. Funnily enough, when I checked this morning there was no oil spot. I crawled underneath and cleaned up all around the area where I found the drop coming from. I'm not stressing about it too much at the moment since it's very tiny. But, I think once the new issue that's cropped up has been dealt with I'll have a better look at what's going on and get it fixed (or fix it myself, depending on where the potential leak is located).

55 is very fine. There is a pressure relief valve in the filter.