6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thanksgiving (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50485)

Quigley November 22nd, 2018 01:42 AM

Thanksgiving

Wishing all you Jimmy V6ers Happy Thanksgiving! Let's keep em rolling.:upyes: Dave

BillT November 22nd, 2018 04:00 AM

Re: Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

James November 22nd, 2018 10:48 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Where the turkey, I'm hungry.:rowdybeer:

FetchMeAPepsi November 22nd, 2018 03:39 PM

Happy Turkey Day! I just read that Thanksgiving wasn't even a holiday with turkey etc. until the gal that ran the 1800's version of "Woman's Day" got a bug in her butt that everyone should cook a huge turkey meal and celebrate it as a national holiday. She spent THIRTY SIX YEARS lobbying politicians to get it nationally recognized. She wasn't above using her power at the magazine to push the idea to the masses to get them to write to congress either. Her children during this time were totally ignored, ironically.

She finally got her way when she was able to proposition America's least state-interested president when she got a "private audience" with him in a sweaty summer of 1863. Old Abe dusted off his pen and made it so.

FDR later moved the day to a week earlier because retailers needed more time to prep for Christmas, but it messed up football schedules and ticked off Republicans. So for 2 years if you were Republican you celebrated on the last Thursday in November, if you were Democrat you celebrated on the third Thursday in November. Congress put a stop to that after the 2 years of mayhem and declared the fourth Thursday to be the one true Thanksgiving.

Two weeks later FDR delcared WWII. Was it spite? Who knows.

LEWISMATKIN November 22nd, 2018 04:36 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!! Of all that each one has to be thankful for, the greatest blessing we have to be thankful for is the offer of forgiveness through faith in the shed blood of our Savior, Jesus the Christ, the only Son of God. Praise His Holy Name!!!!!

George Bongert November 22nd, 2018 04:55 PM

Greetings to one and all!

Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving! If you are traveling, drive safely!

AZKen November 22nd, 2018 07:05 PM

Happy Thanksgiving. It is a traditional Holiday. A person may give thanks to whomever or whatever a person wishes. It's not a religious Holiday like Christmas. You can pray or be with family or give thanks or watch Football. It can be a secular occasion. This is a GMC Truck Site. Not a pulpit.

Quigley November 22nd, 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEWISMATKIN (Post 70150)
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!! Of all that each one has to be thankful for, the greatest blessing we have to be thankful for is the offer of forgiveness through faith in the shed blood of our Savior, Jesus the Christ, the only Son of God. Praise His Holy Name!!!!!

Thank You! +1. :thumbsup:

AZKen November 22nd, 2018 09:07 PM

I give thanks to all who have sacrificed in our Military, for you all to be able to give a sermon about your beliefs. I hope you realize there are many other opinions and religions, races, cultures, secular persons in America. Jewish, Hindu, Mormon, Buddhist, Muslim, Atheism, Catholic, Jehovah Witness, scientology and none of the above.........
Do you want to hear from all of them? +1? The point is that this is NOT the place. That is the only point. Don't miss the point and blast the quote again. That is rude.

Quigley November 22nd, 2018 09:49 PM

I started a thread Happy Thanksgiving and Lewis stated who he gives his thanks to, and I happen to agree ,simple as that. He still has that right so far in the USA. Sorry you took offense to that. Dave