6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi April 18th, 2014 09:51 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52814)
The wheel spindle bushing and the u joint are what you need to look at.

Barry I'm gonna start throwing pickle juice in the yard between my house and yours to draw your house a little closer. I tried to make heads or tails out of that drawing but I cant seem to figure out how that cutaway matches up to Cecilia's front paw.

I dont seem to have a snap ring on it to release the hub (I might be wrong!) and I cant see how the case of the wheel where the lug bolts go in comes off. :(

I'll be fiddling with it more today to see what breaks loose :takethat:

FetchMeAPepsi April 19th, 2014 02:45 AM

The end of a sore day of honeydo's and stuff. Tomorrow I split more wood and work on building a fish pond. :runforthehills:

But for a few hours today I got some time to play with Cecilia again. I put her hub back together so I could move her around front (and to the air compressor :thumbsup: ). The back of the wheel, no not the wheel. The back of the hub? The thing that ties up to the steering knuckle...It was filthy and I couldn't even make out most of the bolt heads going into it.

So I got out my scaler and BRRRRT!! Off it came. First from the front with the wheel turned.....

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

When I had the front side cleaned enough that I could see shiny metal on it again I jacked up the center of the axle, turned the wheels the other way, then let it down again.

A couple more brrt!'s and I was done.

FetchMeAPepsi April 19th, 2014 02:51 AM

Some of the gunk under there was 1/2 inch thick in places. It was pretty gross. I was left with a nice pile of fire-ready grease-dirt under the truck.

I swept it exactly 2 feet out of my way. I'll put it in a trash sack tomorrow.

Then I jacked up the side I was working on and "Standed" it.

Now to get the hub thingy off again. I figured out you only need to take the screws off to get it off. Not the allen bolts. They just hold the locking mechanism in the cap. Good for safe keeping.

And PLOP! This was off again. This puts me in the same place I was before, but with a cleaner um...hub back? Hub butt? :lolsmack:

BarryGMC April 19th, 2014 03:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics I will explain later . Its hard to do from a phone.

BarryGMC April 19th, 2014 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

BarryGMC April 19th, 2014 04:08 AM

Ok. Top 2 pics show a closed and open knuckle front. The knuckle is the part that moves. Inside your closed knuckle is a u joint just like one in the open front. This joint transfers power out to your hub when in 4 wheel drive. The u joint connects the iner and outer shafts. The outer shaft goes through the spindle. That is the rusty part pictured last. The spindle is bolted to the knuckle and also is how the brake backing plate is attached . Next the cutaway pic shows an early internal spline hub drive flange. If you look where the dust cover snaps in there is a groove. In this groove you have a snap ring that holds the outer part of your hub. You then can remove that hub part. Then you will find a smaller snap ring that holds the inner hub part on the outer axle shaft. Then deep in there you will find a spindle nut a lock ring and another spindle nut. WARNING A SPECIAL SPINDLE NUT SOCKET IS NEEDED. The other diagram shows the bearings and spindle and knuckle. I also put a diagram of a later internal spline hub. While the hub parts look different than yours the two snap ring are the same. Well I need a break. Next we will discuss more about this job. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi April 19th, 2014 05:56 PM

(beep beep beep beep!)

This is a Cecilia News Alert - snap ring found and removed! Complete story at 10...

:woo:

Also: Can't find the spindle socket locally so I'll be shopping on the internetz for it tonight.

BarryGMC April 19th, 2014 06:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics. The details will come when I get to an l pad.

BarryGMC April 19th, 2014 08:25 PM

Ok. Fetch here is some more. When you get the spindle nuts and brake drum off you will have the wheel Hub. That's what the wheel bolts to. You will pull this off. Please don't let the outer bearing fall in the dirt. Then you will see something like this. The first pic in my previous post. Remove the bolts. It may have studs with nuts. Remove the nuts. Lay the brake backing plate on the spring and remove the spindle. You may have to whack it to get it loose. Use a dead blow hammer or a piece of wood or brass if you use an iron hammer.. Then you will be meet with a mess like this. Don't stress out by what you find. It will be ugly. Next we will walk through the rest. Soccer starts in 6 minutes. Got to go. Barry

FetchMeAPepsi April 20th, 2014 01:22 AM

Thanks Barry! I think I understand how the spindle nut socket goes on now, but I can't find one locally. They kept telling me that it was 2 3/8" and that wouldn't even go in the hole. I'll be looking online tonight to get one ordered. :thumbsup:

I did find that snap ring (and now I know what a snap ring is :teehee: ).

Looking inside the hub I saw this after I ran a rag around it.

I did a quick look for "Snap ring pliers" and guess what? I already had a pair! They're my pointy pliers that I used on the transmission bits. :giggity:
Small favors, right? Well they're pretty small so they really didn't open the ring up very much, but I was able to get it off.

I wouldn't be able to get it back on with this teeny tiny set of pokey pliers though so I hopped on Amazon and ordered this:

. Now I should be all set!

I stuck it in my Pile-O-Parts for safekeeping