6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

bigblockv6 April 17th, 2014 02:14 AM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

There is no spin on adapter but there is a spin on aluminum housing that was introduced in 1966. It was used on 305 through 351 engines as well as the 1973-74 379 V6.

aphaynes April 17th, 2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52798)
While you are at it you should check the PVC valve. That's really why your engine is pressurizing. It needs vacuum to pull through the breather. While your at it put some new valve cover gaskets in. Glue them to the covers with black rtv. This lets you pull the covers with ease. Then check the valve lash hot. .012 intake, .018 exhaust. This is a big problem I have found with these old boys, to little lash. Finally find someone with a dwell meter and a vacuum guage and set the timing. I bet there is some old timer in northern Alabama with these tools and the know his to use them. Lastly when ever I think of the rural south I think of the movie deliverance. I bet you think of my neck of the woods and think randy weaver and the order. It's a draw. But we have better old rigs. Barry

:postgood:
Went ahead and replaced those PCV valves just in case since they are cheap. So a clean Crankcase Ventilation Filter housing with new paper element and new PCV valves. New gaskets on the valley pan and valve covers and intake manifold, and added the missing gasket on the distributor. Also finished the carb setup using Fetch's build thread as a guide. She is idling good, with a hesitation issue mentioned somewhere above, so I won't rehash that. So far no oil leaks from those areas...but I have not driven it yet; just let it idle.

A former neighbor of mine stopped by who knows a whole lot more about cars/trucks than I do. While listening to it run, he also suggested adjusting the valve lash. I'm going to let him assist me with that so I don't screw up anything, having never done it. It sounds easy enough after looking it up and listening to what he said, but I have been known to turn easy jobs into very difficult, incredibly long ones. :jaw-dropping:

I have a short video of the "sounds" of the valves and hesitation but, I don't see many folks posting vids on here.

aphaynes April 17th, 2014 11:11 PM

30 second video. Noisy valves and hesitation.
See if this works...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

src="https://

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

...if not, here is the link.

BarryGMC April 18th, 2014 03:23 PM

Get the valves set first. Then we will see how it runs. And proceed from there. Barry

aphaynes April 18th, 2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 52987)
Get the valves set first. Then we will see how it runs. And proceed from there. Barry

Planning to get on that tomorrow morning. :runforthehills:

aphaynes April 21st, 2014 05:32 PM

Had a comedy of errors Saturday. Had a buddy coming over to guide me through valve lash adjustments. Fired up the truck before he got there to find that I had fuel dripping were the fuel filter connects to the carb. Pulled the fitting between the two, put some sealer on the threads and reinstalled. Feared I may have something causing issues in the float bowl area, so I opened up the carb again and inspected. The needle connected to the float seemed to be sticking. Had to actually back out the fitting the needle goes into to get it to move freely. ???
Got it all back together. Fired it back up and the line was not leaking...but...yes, that ugly but again...:buttkick:
The top gasket on the carb was letting out fuel. Really confused now... I knew I needed to open it back up to see what was happening with the float and the accelerator pump rod, but my help for valve lash had arrived.

So, while placing a few rags to catch leaking fuel, we went ahead and proceeded with adjustments. I have spark plugs and wires on the way, but we pulled the ones that were in there to find they were quite ugly black and very wide in gap. Went ahead and adjusted them according to the manual, just to make do with them until the new ones get here. A while later, we had all valves dialed in to the 0.012H and 0.018H as recommended by Barry and 1965 Motor's Truck Manual I picked up off ebay.

My helper noticed my heater unit had beeen bypassed...next thing I know we have that off the truck and torn apart. Simple low pressure test with the garden hose did not reveal any leaks in the core, but I am sure I need to have that tested better. We did learn the blower motor is completely froze up, but at least the squirrel cage is still in good shape. So some more to add to my to do list and my wish list.

After my help left, I opened the carb...again! :runforthehills: The float appeared to be ok, not sticking. When I removed the accelerator pump rod, I decided to take a peak down in the cylinder it sits in to see what that little ball was up to. To my surprise it was gone! :ahhhh: Where the heck did it go?!? I know it was in there when I initially rebuilt the carb. Surely it did not just fly out when I opened it earlier that day....did it? After deciding I was not going to solve that mystery, I knew I had a spare, so I put it in, reassembled and all was well with the carb once again. :woo: Also, on this third reassembly, I took note of some various measurements on the carb kit instructions I had not thrown away. The accelerator pump rod had more movement when pressing the accelerator than what was spec'd. So adjusted that. Not sure which part of this process fixed my hesitation when pressing the accelerator, but it now seems to be a non-issue. :woo:

With no apparent oil leaks from the areas I had been working on the past few weeks, and no fuel leaks, we took a spin around the neighborhood. Got back and still no leaks!! :thumbsup: It was not a long trip, but ran through the gears fine. Sunday, took a peek under the truck to see two small drops of oil on my cardboard. Could be left over oil from previous leaks. Won't know for sure until I clean all of the remaining old stuff off that remains from the major leaks when i got her home.

All in all, I am sure there is still a lot I need to check/test, but the past few weeks of part time working on this were fun, and she seems to be in better shape now than she was when I got her home, so I guess the learning experience is paying off. :D

aphaynes April 23rd, 2014 03:16 AM

Plugs and wires arrived, in and indexed!

Next...not sure. Got blue smoke when she first cranks and black smoke on acceleration. Guess I need to make some adjustments for the black smoke. The blue I expect is beyond what I can do in my driveway if it is rings or something of that nature.

Off this Friday so I will take her to the court house to get her tag so I can enjoy driving her around a bit. :)

BarryGMC April 23rd, 2014 03:46 AM

If the blue is worse when you first start it it's probably the valve guide seals. These engines use the same little o rings as Chevy small blocks. Every one is usually hard and cracked. It's kind of a pain but you can change them with the heads on. Good job on the motors manual. Those are handy. Barry

aphaynes April 23rd, 2014 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53063)
If the blue is worse when you first start it it's probably the valve guide seals. These engines use the same little o rings as Chevy small blocks. Every one is usually hard and cracked. It's kind of a pain but you can change them with the heads on. Good job on the motors manual. Those are handy. Barry

Yep, it is blue when first cranked and fades away fairly quickly while idling. When reving it up black appears.

I wasn't sure how handy that book would be, but it seems to have a lot of good info in there in the GMC section.

BarryGMC April 23rd, 2014 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to hijack your thread for a moment. I am a firm believer in obtaining as much info on repairing and maintaining our old rigs as possible. Repair and service manuals are the first place people should reference . Not the internet. Unless it's to find the books. To often we end up chasing modifications that are spread as gospel in the forums, when we should simply be maintaining and repairing and enjoying our trucks. These trucks were built to be reliable and simple. And if they are in reasonable condition are both. People are always amazed when they ride in an old rig of mine at how they operate. Yes a few have the morning blues or are a little cold blooded. And most are not what anyone would call restored. Heck today the boy and I hauled 24 sheets of 4 x12 1/2 rock to a job with the 65. But they are all safe and steady. Back to the books. Here is my oldest and surprisingly still relevant old guy.

aphaynes April 23rd, 2014 04:50 AM

I hear ya! Even though I have acquired a couple of manuals and such since acquiring the truck, I catch myself searching online for something before the light bulb goes off and I remind myself to go look at those books I just purchased. They weren't meant to be dust collectors. :)

aphaynes April 28th, 2014 04:04 AM

Well, three trips to town and back in her and she seems to be running well! :woo:
The last two of wich were to get her registered and go to one of those self service car washes to blast all of the residual oil off that i could. 24 hours later, i checked my cardboard to find.........NO LEAKS!:jaw-dropping: ...yet. :)

Took the heater controls and cables out since all 3 levers are broke. Soaking the cables as Barry suggested. Had to oil up the hinges in the duct work as they felt stiff as well. Discovered my defrost duct was missing going to the drivers side. Whenever i get new levers, that will be ready to put back in. Still need a blower motor as well.

Next i plan to start troubleshooting and modifying my light wiring (head light and parking) based on suggestions i have discovered here.

WDShaffer April 29th, 2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 52673)
Finally got her home!

Brake lights are iffy...sometimes one comes on sometimes two. Wiring check in order as well.

More than likely, it is the turn signal cancellation in the steering column. The plastic bits are a common failure. There is a whole discussion about that elsewhere in the site.

Vernski April 29th, 2014 06:02 AM

These are funny critters I replaced the flasher last year and it just sat over the winter and tried my turn signals. They didn't work and after checking everything out it needed a new flasher, oh well...Vernski:poke:

aphaynes April 29th, 2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDShaffer (Post 53158)
More than likely, it is the turn signal cancellation in the steering column. The plastic bits are a common failure. There is a whole discussion about that elsewhere in the site.

Thanks. I'll hunt for that. I have found several wiring articles on the club portion of the site. Yesterday afternoon was spent hanging out in the storm shelter. Looks like we may get to do that again later today...oh boy! Then I'll be out of town for the weekend, so my troubleshooting tasks keep getting put on hold. :(

aphaynes April 29th, 2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 53159)
These are funny critters I replaced the flasher last year and it just sat over the winter and tried my turn signals. They didn't work and after checking everything out it needed a new flasher, oh well...Vernski:poke:

It's funny you say that. After getting her home, I opened the glove box to find about half a dozen flashers ... and they were all different. I'm not sure what was going on there. :)

Right now headlights and taillights work, though on the low beams driver side light is pretty dim. Both rear turn signals work, but when I turn on the left turn signal, the dash indicator is intermittent and the front signal does nothing...yes, the bulb is good. ;) When I turn on the right signal, the dash indicator does nothing, but the front signal may work or it may not. I assume some loose connections somewhere. Maybe that is what WDShaffer was referring to.

Schroer1962v3000Dump April 29th, 2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53163)
It's funny you say that. After getting her home, I opened the glove box to find about half a dozen flashers ... and they were all different. I'm not sure what was going on there. :)

Right now headlights and taillights work, though on the low beams driver side light is pretty dim. Both rear turn signals work, but when I turn on the left turn signal, the dash indicator is intermittent and the front signal does nothing...yes, the bulb is good. ;) When I turn on the right signal, the dash indicator does nothing, but the front signal may work or it may not. I assume some loose connections somewhere. Maybe that is what WDShaffer was referring to.

Its sounds like more the one non-grounding problem? I have been recently working on mine which hasn't been touched in ten plus years and I have been cleaning all grounding connections and its improving by leaps & bounds. Nice Truck and love the pics

aphaynes April 29th, 2014 11:16 PM

Just stumbled on this image in the photo albums section.

Looks like my housing has more issues than the gasket that was missing. That lower spring was not in my housing and the large washer between it and the filter was actualy on the outside of the housing with the small washer pictured above the bolt. All of the other pieces shown around the large washer are not present. :jaw-dropping:

Who knows what else is not assembled correctly on this beast. :) I am sure I will find out as I continue to work on it through the years.

Vernski April 30th, 2014 07:03 AM

The little parts get lost over the years from careless ones that figure it don't need that if it still functions in any manner. GMC put them in there for a reason and leaking may be the result, isn't these little problems fun to cope with?...Vernski:runforthehills:

aphaynes April 30th, 2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 53176)
The little parts get lost over the years from careless ones that figure it don't need that if it still functions in any manner. GMC put them in there for a reason and leaking may be the result, isn't these little problems fun to cope with?...Vernski:runforthehills:

It does keep the journey interesting :ahhhh:

WDShaffer May 2nd, 2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53163)
I assume some loose connections somewhere. Maybe that is what WDShaffer was referring to.

Actually, what I refer to, and what I experienced, is a broken return cancellation cam that left the stop lamp circuit open after cancellation of the turn signal...until I "jiggle the handle".

BarryGMC May 2nd, 2014 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Most of the time you will find dirty contacts or a bad wire in the switch. Here is the inside of one.

Tech

aphaynes May 3rd, 2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53203)
Most of the time you will find dirty contacts or a bad wire in the switch. Here is the inside of one.

Tech

Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:
Horn does not work either. I know I need to check the relay on that as well; but with each circuit that comes from the steering column acting squirrely, I will start there and work back. Did they have turn signal cancellation in the column back then also? That does not work either if they did.

BarryGMC May 3rd, 2014 03:04 PM

They self cancel. You should just get a new switch, the canceling arms are broke. Now rumor has it you can find switches that are a direct replacement for the gmc. I have never seen one other than nos. but maybe there is. I don't buy repop parts other than window and door rubbers. If you look at a thread started by gmcnut not to long back we discuss the problem and the solution. Barry

BarryGMC May 3rd, 2014 03:07 PM

FYI it's his electrical gremlins thread. Barry

aphaynes May 4th, 2014 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53208)
FYI it's his electrical gremlins thread. Barry

Thanks again Barry! :tiphat:

aphaynes May 4th, 2014 03:51 AM

Got my heater levers and knobs in. While putting the unit back together, I noticed the lever on the right had a post on the back and near the front. The one in the front on the main assembly frame has a place for a cable to mount to, but I only had the back three cables on the system when I disassembled it. What am I missing here???

Got the bench out. That was an easy process.

Set in the newer seats for a test fit. Going to have to do some sort of fab work if I make them a permanent fixture.

I can see what Keith was saying about the tank. I could back them up another inch or so roughly, if the tank were out of the cab.

Luckily at 5'10" and having recently lost 16 pounds, sitting in the drivers seat with the tank still in is not uncomfortable. However, if I do go with this setup, sometime way down the road when I can afford to rework that bed I have already griped about, I can move the tank out of the cab and back the seat up a little.

While all seats were out, I took a peek under the rubber floor. It was not as bad as I thought it might be, but rust is taking hold that needs to be addressed.

aphaynes May 4th, 2014 09:55 PM

I left out the fact that it made yet another trip to town. However, this time when it got back home the radiator had sprung a leak. :(
Hard to say where it is leaking but the pan the radiator is sitting in was full of coolant. Looks like it may be from the front left a few inched from the bottom in the fins area...should have taken a pic.

I assume the stop leak stuff at the auto parts store aren't really worth the time?

Update: Finally got my hands on a timing light to ...well...check the timing. As the engine was starting to warm up the radiator started letting water out of the nipple that would normally have a tube connected to it going to an overflow tank. I would not expect any coolant to come out there unless already warmed up and then not constantly. Rev it up, even more blows out. So I guess I have a problem with the cap seal. Either it is not tightening enough or the gasket on it is no good.

GMCDAC May 5th, 2014 02:44 AM

Hi Aphaynes, Silver Seal radiator stop leak works well on small pin holes but I never liked Bars Leak very well. Some old timers claim a raw egg white in the radiator stops small leaks even!

It sounds like your cap is shot and that could be the source of the coolant in the fins. They are designed to release pressure at a pre-set psi. Yours may be stuck in the release position.

In my '55 GMC I just run a 7 lb. cap as I don't want to cause the 59 year old non-reproduced heater core to burst! Even hauling a load it is hard to get it over 180* so it seems sufficient. The V-6 experts here will recommend a cap pressure. On race cars we would run a 22-24 lb. cap. They may use higher pressure caps yet nowadays.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi May 6th, 2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53162)
Yesterday afternoon was spent hanging out in the storm shelter. Looks like we may get to do that again later today...oh boy!:(

I just got one of those installed. They're so COOL! Makes a great oil changing pit too :giggity:

The radiator hole, I had this problem and the old timers told me "Get it fixed and don't waste your money on magic". You can do what I did and buy some silver core solder and a propane torch, then fix it yourself for fun. Or you can take it to any radiator place and they'll re-core it, clean it out, and fix the leaks for about $100 - 150. Usually same day too.

aphaynes May 6th, 2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 53238)
I just got one of those installed. They're so COOL! Makes a great oil changing pit too :giggity:

I thought about that as they were lowering it into the garage floor last year. :D Have not actually tried to use it as such yet though. :lolflag:

I am pretty confident now that the leak is just the radiator cap not doing its job properly and lack of overflow tank allowing it to drip all over the radiator misguiding my initial impression. :(

Will put a new one on there with the correct pressure rating to make sure though.

BarryGMC May 6th, 2014 08:09 PM

If you overfilled the radiator it will belch a bit.! I have never seen a storm shelter hopefully you don't use it often.,

aphaynes May 6th, 2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53249)
If you overfilled the radiator it will belch a bit.! I have never seen a storm shelter hopefully you don't use it often.,

Only have to use it a couple of times a year. Ever since the April 27 2011 flurry of tornadoes, if the siren goes off, we get in. :)

Speaking of which...GMCNUT, if you read this, I hope you fared ok last week. I saw where one might have been pushing close to your town.

Well, I "was" confident that it was just the cap. However, as I was leaving for work this morning, I saw a nice puddle of water under the front end of the truck. Water was actually dripping from the bumper where the frame is attached to it (driver's side). I assume the radiator is dripping and running down the frame to the bumper then dripping to the driveway as the pan the radiator sits in was full of water as well. Oh well, another unexpected job/expense. :bbeer:

aphaynes May 8th, 2014 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Haven't had time to mess with it this week, but last night when I got home, I got out teh flashlight. Looks like, in addition to teh cap issue, the left side if you are facing the grill) is leaking around the fins.

BarryGMC May 8th, 2014 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bummer. The aluminum ones are a good option.. here is one in a 60.

aphaynes May 8th, 2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53277)
Bummer. The aluminum ones are a good option.. here is one in a 60.

Had not budgeted for a new radiator. Is there a good source online...cheap? :)

BarryGMC May 9th, 2014 01:44 AM

200.00 to 300.00 . That one is in my bud Larry's 60. It was about 300.00. I have used the aluminum in a few jeep projects and really like them. You may also find some one local to check it and maybe repair yours. I will also find out where Larry got his. Barry.

FetchMeAPepsi May 10th, 2014 01:04 AM

I've seen them at 175 on Ebay, but they're mexican made. Remember, $100 bucks and you can repair the old brass one. They're not as common anymore but easily repaired.

On the turn signal, I got all my stuff out today and started my project but I'm short on some parts. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can order them, but if you're still interested I should have something to ship you a few days after that.

:)

Sorry for the delay!

:runforthehills:

GMCDAC May 10th, 2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53276)
Haven't had time to mess with it this week, but last night when I got home, I got out teh flashlight. Looks like, in addition to teh cap issue, the left side if you are facing the grill) is leaking around the fins.

Now that your cap holds pressure, some weak links can appear in the radiator.
If it is just a couple of leaky tubes, as Barry said, a radiator shop may be able to do an affordable repair. Sometimes they will just "pinch off" the bad tube cutting it and soldering the pinched ends and eliminate it from flowing coolant.

I have a brass radiator in my '72 GMC that was in a race car back in the early 1980s that the fan hit. There are probably 7 or 8 tubes pinched and soldered and it has been in my truck since around 1989!

I am probably going to break down and order the one in this Amazon link for my '55 GMC. $220 free shipping. There may be some radiators on there that will fit your truck.

DAC

aphaynes May 12th, 2014 04:31 PM

Thanks for the guidance guys. Dropped off the radiator and heater core this morning for testing/repair. Hopefully it can be accomplished at a price that is worth it versus buying new.

Fetch - got a pm coming your way in a little while.