6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi June 2nd, 2014 03:38 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53472)
I don't have a closed knuckle 44 apart. Just measure the ID and Od of the bushing. I bet I could buy 10 on Tuesday.. Is the inner 1/8 to small on the jeep part. If so I will measure up some jeep stuff. And give you the bushing specs you need. Same if it's the Od. Barry

Barry, the bushing I got was from a Dana 25 for a Jeep. It was too small OD and ID. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen (Post 53488)
The bushing for a Willys Jeep will be too small.

Those are model 25/27 and the spindle bushings are too small.

Look for GM part No. 2402596.

You may have to look out for some NOS items. Ebay is a good place to start.

Jonathon

Yup :ohgeesh:

It was worth a shot. Sure looked identical in the pics :)

So where have I been the last couple of weeks, you might ask?
H-O-N-E-Y D-O's! :takethat::cutwood::pullinghairout::banghead: :insane: :scared:

The Blonde is normally very understanding about my lil' project but a couple of weeks ago she put her foot down and had me build a koi pond (read Goldfish pond) complete with a fountain and rocks. Talk about a back breaker! And I had more fence repair to do. This whole time Cecilia's been sittin out in the front yard with one leg in the air, like a wounded puppy patiently waiting for me to get my act together and come back to her.

I still haven't gotten there yet. I did get this stuff in for the axles.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

If you forgot, it's this new grease that has a super low washout factor so it wont degrade or wash away when I drive through water, even submerged like when I drive the boat I don't own off the boat ramp with her. I'm excited about using it.

I did get ahold of a micro thingy and measured my bushing. Here's the specs.

1 1/2 inch Outside Diameter (OD)
1 3/8 inch Inside Diameter (ID)
1 7/8 inch Outside Diameter if you include the lip (OD W/ Lip?)
1 inch tall

Pics:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

I really need to get free this week and get her handled and mobile again. I've got a hankering for some cruisin!

Next steps:
Clean parts with Diesel
Order grease seal
Order knuckle seal
Order bearings if I need them. They're Timkins so apparently they're adjustable as they wear down.

Should I slather the entire spindle/axle bit (elephant thingy) with grease when I put it back in or is a nice coating good enough?

Hantke June 2nd, 2014 11:41 PM

I'm not the expert on these, but if i remember correctly on the last axles I re-built, the terminology was to "coat generously with appropriate grease"
Definitely my favorite scientifically based instructions

FetchMeAPepsi June 4th, 2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 53568)
I'm not the expert on these, but if i remember correctly on the last axles I re-built, the terminology was to "coat generously with appropriate grease"
Definitely my favorite scientifically based instructions

:lolsmack2:

That's a good one!

It's after midnight here and I just placed an order with Roy at Quad4x4.com for every stinkin part I needed. It was higher than I thought it'd be, but all the parts are guaranteed fit. Guess I had to wait till after midnight to be able to part with that much dough. It still hurt!

Here's the part numbers and prices

Qty Description Each Total Amount
(2) QU40188 8 BOLT KNUCKLE SEAL KIT $67.80 $135.60
(2) QU40055 INNER AXLE SEAL $10.40 $20.80
(2) QU40025 AXLE SHAFT BUSHING $13.68 $27.36
(2) QU50654 4X4 FRONT WHEEL SEAL $13.06 $26.12

They'll be here in a couple of days.

:woo:

FetchMeAPepsi June 4th, 2014 11:27 PM

Let's clean some parts, boys!

Parts you will need:

1 gallon of Diesel Gasoline (is that redundant?)
One large nylon or metal bristle brush
One small nylon or metal bristle brush
One screwdriver or metal booger picker to scratch away the tougher stuff
One bucket. I robbed one from the kid's toy storage area.
Some grease. I used Archoil AR8200 because of it's low washout rate like I mentioned before.
About 1 1/2 hours of time.

Optional:
Non-Latex Gloves. Latex just comes apart in Diesel
A cheerleader that is good with a camera

Here's my parts in a toy box/bin. It's purple. After huffing diesel for half an hour you won't care.

Here's my photographer cheering me on. Go Daddy Go! Make Cecilia Go!
It wasn't too creative, but it rhymed...sorta! :)

My homemade Diesel can. You can tell because it has Diesel written on it in magic marker. The yellow cans were $5.00 more expensive so I said they can keep them for $5 freaking dollars. :poke:

Hold your breath and pour item B in item A. I poured in about a gallon. Enough to cover most of the parts.

Warning: Don't do this. You can probably set your house on fire. This is all hypothetical stuff. Don't do it. Ever. And don't sue me if you do. I warned you. I aint got no munnies anyway. :buttkick:

BarryGMC June 4th, 2014 11:37 PM

Get cracking. Fyi the wives are way more tolerant of a running and driving rig

FetchMeAPepsi June 4th, 2014 11:40 PM

I only had 2 hours to work so I put on my snazzy latex gloves. The diesel ate them off in about 5 minutes.

I put my effort into scrubbing the very greasy (and stinky) elephant thingy. It cleaned up VERY nice to a polished and rough mix of steel. I hope it doesn't rust before I get it put back in and greased up.

I cleaned up the knuckle bearings and the wheel bearings. They didn't show any signs of wear at all.

I bent the grease seal when I popped it out. I found these at Rock Auto for a couple of bucks. The part number is SKF 24898 and it's 0.81 cents! I forgot I found those when I ordered the seals from Quad4x4.com for much higher. Here's the other things these seals fit so we can cross reference part numbers if they stop making this model.

CHEVROLET K10 PICKUP (1960 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K10 SUBURBAN (1960 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K20 PICKUP (1977 - 1986)
CHEVROLET K20 SUBURBAN (1977 - 1986)
CHEVROLET P10 SERIES (1962 - 1967)
CHEVROLET V10 PICKUP 1987
CHEVROLET V10 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET V1500 SUBURBAN (1989 - 1991)
CHEVROLET V20 PICKUP 1987
CHEVROLET V20 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1988)
CHEVROLET V2500 SUBURBAN (1989 - 1991)
DODGE RAMCHARGER (1974 - 1984)
DODGE W100 PICKUP (1973 - 1977)
DODGE W150 PICKUP (1977 - 1984)
DODGE W200 PICKUP (1973 - 1980)
DODGE W250 PICKUP (1981 - 1984)
DODGE W300 PICKUP (1973 - 1980)
DODGE W350 PICKUP (1981 - 1984)
GMC 1000 SERIES (1961 - 1965)
GMC 1500 SERIES (1961 - 1965)
GMC K1000 PICKUP 1966
GMC K15 PICKUP (1975 - 1978)
GMC K15 SUBURBAN (1975 - 1978)
GMC K15/K1500 PICKUP (1966 - 1974)
GMC K15/K1500 SUBURBAN (1967 - 1974)
GMC K1500 PICKUP (1979 - 1986)
GMC K1500 SUBURBAN (1979 - 1986)
GMC K25 PICKUP (1977 - 1978)
GMC K25 SUBURBAN (1977 - 1978)
GMC K2500 PICKUP (1979 - 1986)
GMC K2500 SUBURBAN (1979 - 1986)
GMC TRUCK (1957 - 1959)
GMC V1500 PICKUP 1987
GMC V1500 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1991)
GMC V2500 PICKUP 1987
GMC V2500 SUBURBAN (1987 - 1991)
JEEP CHEROKEE (1974 - 1983)
JEEP GRAND WAGONEER (1984 - 1991)
JEEP J10 (1974 - 1988)
JEEP J20 (1974 - 1988)
JEEP WAGONEER (1974 - 1983)
PLYMOUTH TRAILDUSTER (1978 - 1981)

Mine:

FetchMeAPepsi June 4th, 2014 11:56 PM

Looks like they fit to me!

Tiny Knuckle bearings looked good too

I also threw the spring, knobs, and workings of the hub locking mechanism in the cleaner. They still had some grit on them from the dirt run earlier. They came out shiny and new.

That's when I discovered I had more takin apart to do!

This fat gear thing had a clip on it on the back. I used my brand spankin new spring pliers out and plucked it off.

Then this piece fell out the front. The clip was just holding it in by the butt.

With the grease off the gear thing this sleeve came off too.

I then found this little snap ring inside the back of it. I took it out, but it didn't release the bushing looking thing inside. I'm not sure it does. I tried banging the bushing and it's housing out but it's not steel. It damages easily so after getting a scratch on it I gave up and just diesel cleaned the heck out of it.

I rubbed all the parts with dry towels to get the diesel off after cleaning.

Then I smeared some "peanut butter" Archoil grease on the sleeve area and the little bit that the snap ring had kept inside.

I smooshed the sleeve back on.

Then I greased up and slipped the little gear thing back in the front and put the clip on his butt.

And that was it! I didn't clean the main housing yet because I'm letting it soak. It had some really nasty stuff on it. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

Here's a random picture of a foot that was on my camera. I don't know why, but I know how you guys like pics so here's a grin :teehee: .

Lessons Learned:
  • Diesel is a great grease cleaner. It doesn't fume like gasoline so if the wind is blowing you can work with it and not start yammering to buddah or seeing pink elephants.
  • But it WILL give you a headache after an hour and a half.
  • Buying parts after 1am will make you stupid.

FetchMeAPepsi June 5th, 2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53607)
Get cracking. Fyi the wives are way more tolerant of a running and driving rig

Don't I know it! :D
She wants Cecilia running so I can go pick up more fence boards and not repair, but REPLACE the fence. I hate diggin fence post holes with a manual digger. Takes about an hour for me for each hole. WHEW! :runforthehills:

Guys, remember this one: Once your wife thinks youre handy because you picked up a junky ol' truck to work on, you'll never get a minutes rest again!

The Blonde: "Youre good at building and fixing stuff now, just go build me a new fence."
Me: "Honey, the guys on the board are helping me every step of the way. A fence is a whole different animal."
The Blonde: "Try it honey. You'll do so great! And it'll look soooo purrrrty when you're done.........I'll rub your back when you get done...."
Me: "Sold."

:bigdance:

Oh, and all those references to "Diesel Gasoline" above, just change them in your heads to "Diesel Fuel". I got called out for that name boo-boo almost before I got it posted :rofl:

Thanks for reading guys! :tiphat:

BarryGMC June 5th, 2014 01:20 AM

Trust me I know all about the your handy stuff. Build this and do that. I have 6 brother in laws that can barely change a spark plug. I also know about fence holes. But I long ago gave up digging those by hand. Small diameter holes up to 8 inches with the gas powered auger in the garage and holes up to 36 inch diameter with the bobcat at the shop. A 500.00 dollar bit is cheap compared to two days of sore back work.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53613)
Trust me I know all about the your handy stuff. Build this and do that. I have 6 brother in laws that can barely change a spark plug. I also know about fence holes. But I long ago gave up digging those by hand. Small diameter holes up to 8 inches with the gas powered auger in the garage and holes up to 36 inch diameter with the bobcat at the shop. A 500.00 dollar bit is cheap compared to two days of sore back work.

I've been considering it. I wonder if I could put one together like my wood splitter? I'll have to give that more thought.

While we're off topic have any of you guys tried these type of screws? I told you I have to build a fence this summer. Well I bought these screws to fiddle with and test out before I get started.

They're made by

and they're cut with pilot drilling points and special twists at the top that drill a counter sink too.

That's all cool enough having one step hole drilling, but the catch is this topper they have built in them. Instead of philips or flathead tops they have a star like this

I've been using these for a couple few weeks now and I'm throwing away all my old philips deck screws. These GRK suckers don't strip out at all. They also back out when you need them to, even if you drilled them 1/2 inch into some board (like my fence bar LOL). I've stripped out probably 20 screws in the last 4 years trying to hold that bar in place. Every time I remove it I strip a screw.
Now, easy peasy.

And no, I dont work for them. LOL! Now for our regularly scheduled program....

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 12:46 AM

So old Quad 4x4.com got on the horse and shipped my stuff out before I ordered it. They must have. I got it on Friday

The roofers want the spot Cecilia's in right now for shingles and stuff so I gotta get her moved. I sent the kids (miss you guys!) and the wife (Hubba hubba!) off to the grandparents (save me some ribs!) for the weekend so I could focus and get some stuff finished. I was really missin my powder puff taking my pics for me by the time this was over and I was slipping and dropping a grease covered phone. :banghead:
Tactical error? Probably. :)

I started this project at 9:30 AM by setting out all my materials I could think of. Including my ever present rubber gloves. I went through 10 pairs today trying to avoid getting grease on other stuff throughout the house.

I thought, I'll prbably need a lot of paper towels.

That wasn't even nearly enough. I went through HALF A ROLL :lolsmack2:

I took a razor knife and cut my archoil open. I wanted to have easy access to the grease as I worked and I was pretty sure I'd use a whole tube for each side. I'm glad I did.

I started with wiping down the socket here with a towel. I didn't diesel clean it (regrets!) and it was covered in old grease.

Then I wiped out the hole in the brake um...round thing. The round thing that the brass bushing goes into.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 01:02 AM

The next thing I did was grease up that little brass bushing like I was paid to do it. It almost slipped right through the molecules of my hand.

Then I mashed it into place.

Next I did this. But I was being stupid.

I took it off and then I did this. It's easier to get the felt on if you work it over the two big bumps on the front of the socket then slip it over the side. Work it left to right or right to left, not up and down. You'll tear the felt.

Now do this again :teehee:

Then I figured I'd be doing those tiny knuckle bearings and they're held in with the big metal surround piece that ties to the steering bar. I grabbed it and scrubbed on it (it had been soaking). Then I saw this on the top of it.

Someone has been driving her a little hard I guess? It's a pretty good nick in the metal there. That's a pic of the inside, not the outside :(

Nothing I could do about it and it didn't seem to interfere with the movement of the thing so I moved forward. Next I grabbed my knuckle bearings. Remember these are the tiny ones. They're both the same so it doesnt matter which one.

I finger-scooped about a half of an egg sized blop of peanut butter (Archoil Grease) into my hand and I flipped my bearing over so the bottom was facing me. Then I made a chip in the dip scooping motion, pressing against my hand so it would force grease in through the top lip and out through the bottom. Here's how it looked as it squeezed out the bottom. I was then able to wipe the dark old grease and diesel away.

Then I greased up the top bearing cup and mooshed it in.

At this point I figured I wanted to keep things clean so I put down a drop cloth of paper towel. I never dropped anything on it, but it did make a good work area from time to time when I had to lay things down.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 01:25 AM

I greased up the bottom bearing too and pushed it into place. The grease is strong enough to hold it there, but I had my dropcloth too.

Here I thought I should put my surrounding metal thing that ties to the steering rod back on. That way it would hold the bottom bearing in without question. I went through all the steps to put it back on then I realized I forgot the elephant thing. :pullinghairout:

RE-DO!

I took it all apart and grabbed the elephant thing.

It came out covered in grease so I thought it should go back covered in grease. If Cecilia wants grease, she's gonna get it! I slathered it on thick and pasty up the entire length of the pipe to the joint.

I must have had too much grease on my hands to take a pic of the entire thing greased up because the next one I have is this. It's after I shoved the elephant thing back into it's socket. You have to turn it and wiggle it to get it to go all the way in. there's probably gears or something on the other end that need to mesh up.

Then I greased up the joint real good too.

Then I put the metal thing here on. It has the ear that connects to the steering rod. Here I am with a finger of grease greasing it up too. Take that!

Next I put the steel backing plates on the knuckle wiper (?) and the felt thing.
Here's what it looked like. It came in my kit from Quad4x4.com. The bottom of these flares outward so be sure to put the flare going away from the wheel or you'll scratch something.

Make sure to get the bolts (they come in the kit) put through the holes in the felt properly. Then give it a little 1/2 inch socket action with the impact wrench. BZZZT!

Then do the same with the bottom one.

The knuckle thing rubs on that rubber piece we put on for its entire life. I figured it needed some grease to work smoothly so I greased up the knuckle.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 01:42 AM

I forgot to say that I greased up the socket too. :teehee:

Then I got to looking at all those bolts. Remember how some of them were longer than others on the knuckle bearing covers? Well I figured that one out. They interchanged knuckle bearing cover bolts (the long ones) with brake plate-looking thing bolts (short ones). Count 'em! They're the same.

I grabbed my three metal (tin?) shims and put them on my knuckle bearing cover thing. Then I ran my large bolts into it. They're 9/16" remember?

One of my bolts wouldn't go in ANY holes. I finally got sense enough to look at it. It looked like someone had pounded on it with a hammer. The threads were messed up.

I took a hacksaw and tried re-threading it enough that it could catch the threads in the hole. After only 5 or 6 pulls with the hacksaw it cleaned up nicely. I thought I took a pic, but I guess not. Anyway, it worked. I got lucky :bananadance:

Now I greased up the elephant thing a bit more where the brass bushing rides.

Then I slipped the brake plate-looking thing on the end. I noticed it comes apart in the middle too. Missed that earlier. There isn't anything in there to replace or fix though. My finger shows where it is coming apart.

I got the plate-thing on and positioned right, with the brake rubber parts at the top.

Then some more impact action for the 8 bolts. They're 9/16" too of course. BZZZT!

BarryGMC June 8th, 2014 01:44 AM

I have been using those screws for 7-8 years . There are some big lag type screws with the star drive That I used to use all the time when I was building timber frame houses before the housing bust. They even make them with a washer type head. Up to 12 inches or so.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 01:51 AM

Now comes the hub outside part. Here I was practically cheering. I was almost done!
:yeeuh::woohoowave::crazyyippee::yeeuh:

I flipped the hub point side down so I could get the bearing and seal in the rear of it. Remember I put my bearings on a coat hanger in order so I wouldn't forget how they go?

I grabbed the largest bearing from the end and started putting grease inside it just like the knucklebearings, wiping away the dirty stuff that comes out as the grease goes through.

I greased up the spot it goes into too and dropped it in place.

Next my 0.81 cent grease seal. I greased the outside of it and put it in with gentle hammer taps.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 01:56 AM

I greased up the inside of the seal and slipped it over the elephant.

Then I greased up the front bearing the same as all the others (not shown due to greasy fingers. Surely you get the idea by now!)

And slipped it on the elephant too. Then I pressed it all the way back as far as I could get it to go.

Next came this funny looking nut that goes on the spindle - that's what the stupid thing is called! Arrgh. Elephant thing = spindle. Remember that Mkay?
:banghead:

Ok, this nut goes on with the little post point outward. The post will go into the following washer like thing with all the holes in it.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 02:03 AM

The little knobby thing is shown better in this pic.

I put that on and got it threaded on as far as I could get it. Then I used a philips screwdriver to spin it down tight, wedging it between the housing and the nut.

Next came the holey washer bit. It has a cutout that has to go on a certain way along with matching the knob on the nut we just put on. That's why there's so many holes, so it can match both points.

Sorry for that bad pic. My phone was greasy and nasty by this time and it was hard to hold. It ate concrete a buncha times by now. :ahhhh:

I slipped the last nut on now and spun it down like the one before, with my philips screwdriver.

Next I grabbed my hub gear contraption. I greased it up inside and out.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 02:14 AM

The greased up hub gear thingy slipped in alot easier than it came out.

When I got to the new rubber seal I did have to gently tap it with my rubber hammer. Nothing serious at all. I didn't want to break my new rubber-bands even if I did have 10 of them now It went in pretty easy. :jumphappy:

Then that little flat spring shaped keeper goes on the end. I tried to put it back in like you would do a washer, one side then the other side, but it didn't fit. It turned out its easier to put it in like a spring. Just thread the point in, then work your way around, pressing it into the slot around and around till you get to the end.

Then...

I greased it up :rofl:

Now I got my brand new tool for these keepers (that I forget what they're called now) and loaded the keeper on it. Then I slipped it on the spindle. It fit like a greased glove.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 02:24 AM

Now I got the end of my hub ready to reinstall but I discoverd I had it together wrong. I had mashed the end of it onto the metal ring that the disconnecting mechanism rides on upside down. I got a screwdriver and dug it out. It sounds easier than it was. 20 minutes later I got it out.

See those high points on the gear piece in that pic? Well those should be facing the other way. And it should have this on it. Like this

I slipped it all back together and ran my allen wrench screws back in. It took a couple of times to get it right. I need to replace my allen screws. they're wallered out.

After that I just screwed it back on with my philips head screwdriver. Tada! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I slipped the brake drum back on now. It slides over my hub with no problems.

I had trouble getting it over the brakes but with moving the brake shoes upwards just a little I finally got it on.

Now I moved on to the steering arm. This rubber cup fell off. I'm lucky it didn't blow away with all the storms we've had lately.

I filled it with grease :D

Then I smashed it back on the bolt of the steering arm. Putting the hub back together was so much easier with this arm disconnected.

FetchMeAPepsi June 8th, 2014 02:45 AM

Now I put the bolt of the arm through the steering connection on the wheel. Then I put the castle nut back on. It's 3/4" if my alzheimers isn't kicking in. I did have trouble getting it back on. It wanted to cross thread but I finally got it with....wait for it....some grease applied :rofl:

It doesn't need to be super tight, just snug until you can get a cotter pin through the hole in the bolt and through the nut castle parts. If it's too tight it won't move smoothly (as me how I figured that one out lol).

After shoving the pin through the hole I bent it around like the previous one to keep it stuck in there.

After that I put the wheel on. Lug nuts and all. Really bouncing around with excitement at this point.

And finally I got to lower the jack. I actually RAN to get the handle :lolsmack2:

And that was it! I was DONE SON! :rowdybeer::superhappy:

And I ended up with extra grease too. Just a little.

I finger scooped it out of the destroyed tube...and put it into my other tube! Scottish, remember? Arrrr!! That's a penny saved, my friend!

I saved my old bolts too just in case I ever need them. Labeled like a good mechanic.

And put in a larger bag of extra parts, also labeled.

And that's the end of this saga! Thanks as always to BarryGMC for the hand-holding when I needed it and the kick in the pants when I didn't. And thanks to Jonathon for the parts numbers and extra tips. If not for the two of you I'd have never made it through this. What a heck of a deal, right?

Thanks to everyone else that read my mess here or contributed, or sent me a PM (you guys really should just post so everyone can see the tips. They're good!) or was involved in any way.

And thanks to Quad4x4.com for simultaneously supplying the parts I needed and making my butt pucker up for having to spend over $200 to get them. You guys are great at helping but you should really re-think those $13.00 grease seals :ahhhh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll leave you guys with a joke.

Guy 1: I was going to work today and I saw a Scotsman scraping off his wallpaper.
Guy 2: Oh, was he re-decorating?
Guy 1: No, he was MOVING! Har har har!

(because scots are so cheap, get it? He wasn't paying for new wallpaper, no way!)

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone. I'll do the other side this week if I can get enough time but I won't drag you guys through it again. After this I think I'll do the front and rear end. New oil, new gaskets, etc. And I still need to get that transfer case done. The wheels are a-turnin! (And I like them like that!)

:thumbsup:

BarryGMC June 8th, 2014 03:31 AM

One more thing get some 60 weight motor oil and fill the knuckle through the pipe plug on the knuckle. I use half wheel bearing grease and 60# motor oil. The knuckle actually is supposed to be filled with 140 gl. But the mix works better IMO. Most old Jeepers use the mix. Next I would pull the diff cover and clean out the pumpkin and refill it with 80-90 gl.

BarryGMC June 8th, 2014 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You have a plug like this. Fill it like your trans. Its on the left in this pic.

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2014 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53680)
You have a plug like this. Fill it like your trans. Its on the left in this pic.

In this slot here?

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2014 04:44 AM

I know I said I wasn't going to talk about the driver's side hub, but...well I learned a couple more things so I thought I should share!

First, there's a steering part on top of the drivers side that you CAN NOT REMOVE. Ok, maybe you can, but I can't. It's molded from one piece of steel as far as I'm concerned. :pullinghairout: :pullinghairout: :pullinghairout:

I took the nuts off the top and hammered the crap out of the bottom part of it but it never moved. I took a screwdriver and cleaned around it and finally I found what I thought was a lock washer on it. I stuck a screwdriver into the cut and hammered it to get it to spin around the bolt. It moved.

I finally spun it around enough that it came out. It's threaded inside, but not very deeply. You do have to spin it around till it comes out apparently.

There are four of these in that steering top piece. I got two of mine out, but the last two wouldn't come out at all. I finally ended up taking the bottom knuckle bearing bolts out and just pulling the top off, then setting it aside.

Oh and here's something else cool/crazy. This is my brass bushing for the driver's side. WOW :ahhhh:

So that had to be replaced. I already had one in stock from my quad4x4.com order so that's good. They're hard to find. Then I got that steering thing off and check this crap out! :banghead:

The bottom pic is hard to see but both of the places where my bearings go are chewed plumb up! It looks like someone leaned a dremel tool on them (a small grinder) and went out for pizza. I thought to myself OMG how can I ever afford new axles if this is all torn up?!?!?!?

Cecilia, you're breakin my heart! You're shakin' my confidence daily!

Then I noticed something......:headscratch:....what's that??

A ray of hope....

BarryGMC June 17th, 2014 05:00 AM

That inner bushing is probably the noise you heard in 4x4. I will tell you though that steering arm has to come off. Looks like we are both breaking knuckles on a front end.

FetchMeAPepsi June 17th, 2014 05:11 AM

You see in this pic that the bottom slot where the bearing sits is stepped? Like, there's the main hole, then a smaller step inward? Yeah...I notice that and my wheels started turning. I wonder if GMC allowed for just this type of problem to happen?

I got my booger picker (metal pick) out and dug around the top and what do you know, it looks like there's a sleeve pressed in a hole there to hold the bearing! That means that if this comes out I can just replace this and BOOM baby! We're back in business! :yourock: Thank you GMC!

I stuck my crowbar in it. It just fit enough to get a hold of the bottom of that lip inside. I pried.

And pried, and turned, and pried. The little insert started peeking over the top of the hole it was in. Woohoo! :woo: Finally the little booger popped right out!

YAY!!!! :bananadance:

I tossed that piece of junk. Then I put my small hammer in the hole for the bottom insert.
It fit perfectly, so I banged on it with my sledge. It flew across the driveway :lolsmack2:

I ran down to OReiley's and gave the guy $30.00 of hard earned cash. He was so happy to get my donation he gave me these.

I greased up the sleeve thingy with my Archoil super-grease.

Then I hammered it home with short little taps. Tada!

I'll be putting it all back together tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any more surprises. I gotta get some honey-dos done this week or The Blonde's gonna jerk a knot in my tail! :ahhhh:

FetchMeAPepsi June 18th, 2014 02:52 AM

Today I got 'er finished. A couple of things to note. The expensive $10.00 grease seals I got from Quad4x4.com were quite a bit different than the ones I got from RockAuto, and not in a good way. Take a peek. The rubber-band thin one on the right is from Quad4x4. It's almost HALF the size of the RockAuto one.

Look at the inside here. The one on the left is the RockAuto (good) one.

Notice on the Rock Auto one it has a little spring that goes all around the inner seal too that keeps it on target. Here's the part number again for anyone that needs to replace their grease seal.

CR Services 24898

The second thing I ran into is this silly bushing again. On the passenger side I could hook a finger in and pull the old one out, then just as gently work the new one in. On the driver's side it had disintegrated so removal involved chiseling it out, but putting the new one in - well it didn't fit. I couldn't get it worked down inside it at all.

I finally had to tap it down gently with a hammer but the whole time I thought it was going to shatter and I'd have to buy a new one. I even thought about using my little Willys Jeep bushing from the Dana 25, but I gave that away a long time ago and couldn't scare one up locally.
Are they supposed to be banged in? Or should they just fit?

Anyway that was all she wrote. I got it all buttoned up- Oh wait, one more thing. I got to this point and finished putting the bolts around the spindle thingy:

Then I got the hub installed all the way out to the selector switch...and got so excited I grabbed the tire and slapped it on. The only thing I forgot?
:toofunny:

The brake drum! :lolsmack2:

That first stopping experience would have been fun! Luckily I noticed it laying by the garage door before I got her off the jack. Powder puff ran the lugs back off and we had it back on in record time. Mario Andretti would have been proud of her :)

That's it for hubs. Now about that engine knock...It got less knock-y after I put some STP Zinc additive in there. I ordered some of that Archoil friction modifier too so we'll see if together they can get Cecilia quiet.

:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi June 21st, 2014 01:59 AM

I posted this in the engines section too, but I like to keep anything I do in my build so this is a repost.

After Cecilia started knocking with the last oil change I did decide to go ahead and get some Archoil friction modifier. It came in this week. It's FORTY freakin dollars for 16 oz, shipped.

It had a sales sheet with it too. One of the more interesting things it said was that the Boron used makes for a good, hard surface for preventing wear that's similar to diamonds in hardness.

An added bonus is that you don't use a whole 16 oz per oil change. You only use 1.12 oz per quart, meaning this is a little over two oil changes worth.

I'll be putting it in this weekend to see if it changes the knock.

FetchMeAPepsi June 22nd, 2014 03:32 AM

I got my Archoil friction modifier in today. I measured out 7 oz in this handy measuring cup I had lying around a cabinet in the kitchen, mostly unused for the past 15 minutes or so.

It looks like watery oil. Nice.

Then it went down the hatch.

And it still knocked. So I looked online at why engines knock and I learned something. There's a piston inside the motor. Most people know that. Ok, so that piston goes up and down when the spark plug fires.

Imagine how a guy cuts firewood. You swing the axe over your head and whoosh! Bring it down on a log. That's how a piston works if the axe head were the piston. Kinda. So knocking is like the shoulder of the lumberjack making noise. Say he's been swinging an axe for 30 years. He's kinda long in the tooth for axe work and his shoulder is kinda worn out.

When he brings the axe up his shoulder pops as his arm moves downward in the socket from the weight of the axe. That's a knock. When he swings downward it pulls on his arm and it knocks again because the shoulder goes forward in the loose socket.

Here's a drawing of what goes on inside there for the smart fellas.

Where that arrow is on the connecting rod is where the socket gets worn, right where it swings around the crankshaft. At least that's how I understood it. You can youtube for an hour and see all kinds of reasons for engines knocking (maybe they just need to drop off a package? :ups: ) but that's what I got for my reason.

So that part of the motor is right there when you take off the oil pan. If that's all there is to it, I'm wondering now why everyone says "That motor's trash brutha!. You hear her knocking, that's the Reaper at the door!" :noway:

I think it shouldn't be too hard to change out those little bearings considering everything else I've done so far, right? It will run up my budget a bit more and that's unplanned, but what good is a truck if she don't run?

I'm going to study up on that a little more and see, but I think that's what I'm gonna do right now.

FetchMeAPepsi June 22nd, 2014 03:33 AM

Oh and Foley, this one's for you buddy :)

I used Ol' Max to pull out a brown turkey fig tree that hadn't been producing for the last oh, 5 or so years. The Blonde said it had to go so I looped some old cotton rope around it and RRRRIIPPPP! Like an old tooth! :lolsmack2:

FetchMeAPepsi June 26th, 2014 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update here.

I had a little trouble turning the hubs right after reassembling them. This thing is called a "Strap Wrench".
It's great for looping around the hub and getting it turned a few times till it's all greased up or loosened up enough to move freely. You can get them for about $4.00 at Wally World (Wal Mart)

A couple of turns and it was moving freely by hand :thumbsup:

BarryGMC June 27th, 2014 04:34 AM

What's up with the sound?

FetchMeAPepsi June 27th, 2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53908)
What's up with the sound?

The engine sound? I have family over this weekend so I'm limited on what I can do, but right now the plan is to pull off the oil pan and poke at the piston rods to see if they wiggle. If they do, I'll hunt down some rod bearings :)

If that's not right, please let me know. I'm making my plan based off Googling. They can't put things on the internet that aren't true, right? :teehee:

Bon-Jooor!

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

BarryGMC June 27th, 2014 05:05 AM

Hey pep is this your first oil change on Cecilia?

FetchMeAPepsi June 27th, 2014 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53910)
Hey pep is this your first oil change on Cecilia?

Yes, it's the first one.

BarryGMC June 27th, 2014 06:06 AM

It sounds more like a main bearing.

FetchMeAPepsi July 14th, 2014 04:31 PM

Just a quick "Whatcha doin" update for everyone. Cecilia's parked and taking a break. In the meantime I'm still working on a project that I'll show you guys for Aphaynes. If it works, we'll all need it eventually :)

On my off time I ran off to see a surgeon again and while we were talking he jumped up and cut some spots off my head. Thankfully he got over that and sewed me back up. I'm stuck inside for the next week healing up and itching LIKE CRAZY!!! :pullinghairout:

Once I'm cleared for fun again I'll be doing some of the tests in this thread here for my sick baby's engine knock.

Aphaynes, Rusty's prototype 4 and 5 was a fail. I'll get back to work on it Wednesday and Friday. :newidea:

aphaynes July 14th, 2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 54128)
Aphaynes, Rusty's prototype 4 and 5 was a fail. I'll get back to work on it Wednesday and Friday. :newidea:

Didn't realize you were prototyping something...now you got me all curious!! :yourock:

Hope you get back into action quickly...dang doctors. :poke:

Foley July 15th, 2014 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;53867]Oh and Foley, this one's for you buddy :)

I used Ol' Max to pull out a brown turkey fig tree that hadn't been producing for the last oh, 5 or so years. The Blonde said it had to go so I looped some old cotton rope around it and RRRRIIPPPP! Like an old tooth! :lolsmack2:

Thank you Fetch. I'm pretty jazzed by the useability of that bigol machine. But I'm even more curious bout how do you move it along thru your back yard? Those little wheels on Ol' Max aren't zactly grass friendly.