6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi October 23rd, 2014 08:53 PM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 55094)
I had a similar style bumper jack on my 78 Buick Regal when I was 17. Does this jack also lift via the bumper or do you place it elsewhere?

With my bumpers it lifts no problem, but I ordered it with a bunch of extras so I can lift by the wheels or the bumper with a bumper attachment. I can use it as a winch too :thumbsup:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

bigblockv6 October 23rd, 2014 09:57 PM

This High Lift Jack is pretty much a multipurpose jack and a standard for the off roader to carry around, you can use it like a come along or powerpull. I've used mine on my Jeep's bumper and rocker guards to get it up but with the long travel coil suspension on my Jeep it pretty much leaves the tire on the ground and I have to use a regular hydraulic bottle jack to take off a tire & wheel.

FetchMeAPepsi October 25th, 2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 55097)
This High Lift Jack is pretty much a multipurpose jack and a standard for the off roader to carry around, you can use it like a come along or powerpull. I've used mine on my Jeep's bumper and rocker guards to get it up but with the long travel coil suspension on my Jeep it pretty much leaves the tire on the ground and I have to use a regular hydraulic bottle jack to take off a tire & wheel.

Do you have the 48 or the 60 inch? I changed all four of my wheels with the bumper lift no problem except for the kickout I mentioned.

bigblockv6 October 25th, 2014 02:19 AM

Mine is the 48 inch jack but even so at a overall width of 59 inches I am limited to what I can mount on my Jeep. Considering I've got 8 inches of lift, 35 inch tires and long travel coil spring suspension I think even a 60 inch jack won't quite cut it.

GMCDAC October 25th, 2014 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Up around these parts we call them "handyman" jacks. They can be pretty precarious to use sometimes especially if you are trying to do something rediculous alone! An absolutely required tool for truck guys though. Can't believe that some new ones come with a plastic foot!

Here's mine I've had for decades, 48". I welded up a bigger plate that would saddle the foot on it many years ago but can't find it now. Was probably stuck in the mud and I forgot to dig it out. I welded the handle into it also so it could never get pulled out and used for a cheater pipe or something and destroyed or not put back.

I like that rubber deal in the pic, Fetch, that holds the handle in the folded up position. I wrap a bungee cord around mine a few times.

DAC

Andice October 25th, 2014 11:50 PM

Around here we call 'em widowmakers.....

FetchMeAPepsi October 28th, 2014 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 55119)
Mine is the 48 inch jack but even so at a overall width of 59 inches I am limited to what I can mount on my Jeep. Considering I've got 8 inches of lift, 35 inch tires and long travel coil spring suspension I think even a 60 inch jack won't quite cut it.

I bet that sucker will climb a brick wall :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 55121)
Up around these parts we call them "handyman" jacks. They can be pretty precarious to use sometimes especially if you are trying to do something rediculous alone! An absolutely required tool for truck guys though. Can't believe that some new ones come with a plastic foot!

Here's mine I've had for decades, 48". I welded up a bigger plate that would saddle the foot on it many years ago but can't find it now. Was probably stuck in the mud and I forgot to dig it out. I welded the handle into it also so it could never get pulled out and used for a cheater pipe or something and destroyed or not put back.

I like that rubber deal in the pic, Fetch, that holds the handle in the folded up position. I wrap a bungee cord around mine a few times.

DAC

It was pretty cheap too. I got it at Amazon. I really like that SafeJack attachment that I'll post a video to in a second....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 55125)
Around here we call 'em widowmakers.....

Tell me about it! When it popped out I freaked and decided that was enough for me. Until I got this:

src="https://

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

FetchMeAPepsi October 28th, 2014 02:31 AM

I was asked about my future plans in another thread. I'm going to post them here to kinda be a guide for myself and you guys. Here's what I'm wanting to do if everything goes smoothly...
  • Finish my fence building
  • Fix whatever's popped up to make her not start. Embarrassed me at Lowes this weekend :(
  • Pull bed off again now that I don't need it every weekend
  • Finish rebuilding the Rockwell T221 Transfer Case
  • Change fluids and seals on front and rear differential
  • Paint everything with Por 15 under there to keep it safe from the rust monster
  • Paint the bumper and put some bedliner in foot areas to look more modern.
  • Put the bed on some kinda stands so I can weld up holes, beat out dents, and...paint? Maybe.
  • Remove old wood and the rusted through strips, replace both.
  • Put my fenders back on so she doesn't look like a little girl with her skirt tucked in her drawers in the back.

I may have posted this already so sorry if I did :)
Fence building is going from this

To this:

with some of this:

to end up with this:

It uses 2x4s and decking boards for the planks and supports, and big ol' fat ground treated 4x6's sunk 2' 6' in concrete for the posts, except for the big gate posts that are all cedar 6x6's, 10 ft long. The decking boards are shrinking as the treatment evaporates off of them from the factory so I'll have to move them to fill in the gaps once they're all dry in spring. You know, just snug them up again. I should end up with about 4 more boards worth of width the way they're sucking up! :ahhhh:

And here's my baby in her new stable. See the tires? They don't look too different. I'm happy with how easy they turn too. It's a noticeable difference.

I'll be fiddling with the starting problem next...Hey, it's on my list! :puterpunch:

bigblockv6 October 28th, 2014 02:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;55151]I bet that sucker will climb a brick wall :thumbsup:

I know it's off topic but I figured to throw in a pic of climbing a Granite slab on the Rubicon just this past summer!

aphaynes October 28th, 2014 02:55 PM

Nice job on that fence! :thumbsup:

Foley October 29th, 2014 05:29 AM

Very nice (and stout) fence there Fetch. Like you said once before, a guy should always have a place to lean a wheel or a ladder against. But in looking at your to-do list, did I miss something in the rebuild thread or....what happened with the knock in Cecilia's motor?

Foley,
Near the Rubicon

FetchMeAPepsi November 10th, 2014 04:53 AM

Oh it's still there Foley, you didn't miss anything. :)
I didn't add it because I wasn't planning on spending any massive time on it other than looking at the piston connectors to see if they're loose. If they are, I'd work on fixing that.

But if they aren't and it's something way more serious like pistons that wobble in the cylinder I planned to just drive it as it is until she quits then I can put the spare 305 in.

I know I can't buy pistons or rebuild parts so putting a lot of time into a blown engine isn't going to happen, though I'd like the experience.

Hey, are any of you guys noticing that after turning wrenches for a while your fingers get fat? Maybe it's just me, but my wedding ring doesn't really fit anymore. Maybe it's wrenching, maybe it's doughnuts. :lolsmack2:

Andice November 10th, 2014 04:40 PM

Doughnuts. Wrenching makes them dirty and achey.

FetchMeAPepsi November 10th, 2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 55261)
Doughnuts. Wrenching makes them dirty and achey.

I was afraid of that. Guess I'm going to live on blubber this winter!

BTW you guys in the south hold on to your hats. The weather's 45 degrees with a 30 mph wind and it's heading your way! Sure glad I made me a log-dog to split some wood!

I'd have s'mores tonight, but Andice says I'm too fat so I guess I'm just threading sticks for the babies.

Look at me from the side, do I look fat to you?

See you guys in spring!

BarryGMC November 11th, 2014 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sausage fingers. That's what my kids call my hands. Cold? I am always happy for winter. Truck stuff gets done. Going after the last load of wood on veterans day. Should be about 15 when I get up on kalispel peak. Here was a week ago. Its about 29 at 4800 feet. Q is a little cold. I was in a tee shirt. The 65 is earning its keep.

6066gmcguy November 15th, 2014 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Winter has started here in Northern Utah too. not much of the white stuff but its getting Cool here, near zero once already.

GMCDAC November 16th, 2014 02:00 AM

We've had over a foot of snow in less than a week and constant wind. High temps have been about 5-15 above. Getting old fast. Hope for some relief soon. Too cold to take pics of the snow piled on the '55 GMC. Maybe tomorrow.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 7th, 2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 55269)
Sausage fingers. That's what my kids call my hands. Cold? I am always happy for winter. Truck stuff gets done. Going after the last load of wood on veterans day. Should be about 15 when I get up on kalispel peak. Here was a week ago. Its about 29 at 4800 feet. Q is a little cold. I was in a tee shirt. The 65 is earning its keep.

What the heck Barry? I leave for a week and you go and get banned. Who's going to help me when I ask stupid questions because I don't know what I'm doing? Hmm? :insane:

I suddenly feel overwhelmed with my project....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 55384)
Winter has started here in Northern Utah too. not much of the white stuff but its getting Cool here, near zero once already.

Whoah now that's really cold! :winter: I love that area of the country but I'd never make it through the winter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 55400)
We've had over a foot of snow in less than a week and constant wind. High temps have been about 5-15 above. Getting old fast. Hope for some relief soon. Too cold to take pics of the snow piled on the '55 GMC. Maybe tomorrow.

DAC

The powder puff says bundle some up and send it her way, Dac LOL

Its 9 degrees today and the only thing that keeps me moving around is the thought that it'll kill off the bugs for spring. I hope so!

Oh, and we had some birthdays so we ran out real quick and took our birthday pics. No step to step on right now so the Powder puff is on the ground but at least we got it before the temps got too low to stand outside

For reference this was when we picked Cecilia up....

She's growin so much!

Hantke January 7th, 2015 07:24 PM

What?? Banned?? Well dang it Barry.
Looks like your still chugging along! That's nice to see after so many people seem to be giving up on their projects!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aphaynes January 7th, 2015 10:29 PM

Banned? I knew I had not heard from him in a while on here, but did not know he was banned. How did that happen? That's a shame. :(

FetchMeAPepsi January 8th, 2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hantke (Post 56221)
What?? Banned?? Well dang it Barry.
Looks like your still chugging along! That's nice to see after so many people seem to be giving up on their projects!

I may never finish, but I won't give up :)
Like Coyote says, "I'll fix it myself and pay the extra $500" :lolsmack2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 56222)
Banned? I knew I had not heard from him in a while on here, but did not know he was banned. How did that happen? That's a shame. :(

He got in a fight with some other member and went too far is what I heard.

Hantke January 8th, 2015 12:49 AM

That sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigblockv6 January 8th, 2015 01:31 AM

Yeah I was the one he got in the confrontation with. He got what he deserved!!

FetchMeAPepsi January 8th, 2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56227)
Yeah I was the one he got in the confrontation with. He got what he deserved!!

Yeah I didn't think Jeannie would hammer someone unless it went way too far. She's rapped me on the knuckles from time to time but it's always just a friendly reminder to follow the rules and maybe deleting one of my um....more excitable posts. :D

I had to go back and look at them but it says this
I want each and every one of you to know that we will never ban a member outright without several warnings.

So I guess he got read bad real fast. Jeannie seems pretty patient putting up with stuff (and thank you for that if you're reading this!).

:yourock:

Glad you're still here BB. I'm going to need all the help I can get if my engine is bad and I hope you'll peek in from time to time and lay down the knowledge. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 January 8th, 2015 04:11 PM

Well BarryGMC had slandered me three posts consecutively so doing more than once was beyond way to far!

FetchMeAPepsi January 8th, 2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56239)
Well BarryGMC had slandered me three posts consecutively so doing more than once was beyond way to far!

I wasn't here but I trust Jeannie's judgement. Like I said though Im glad you're still here, and DAC, GMCGUY, WDShaffer, Groby, Jolly, Ed, and Culver, and all the other guys that have real wrench turning experience. There's a lot of info here on the forum but nothing beats experience.

Without you guys I'd never have got my truck running much less get it into regular use. And restoration? Fuggeddaboudit!

:thanks:

On the downside, my newly painted wheels are rusting in pinholes. :(
Spraypaint was such a bad idea there after all that prepwork.

bigblockv6 January 8th, 2015 04:36 PM

The problem with spray can paint is it's heavily watered down with solvents in order for it to be sprayable from a can, in no time at all it fades and loses it's durability from exposure to sun light.

Andice January 8th, 2015 11:14 PM

Well, if Barry got what he deserved then why do I feel punished? I miss his input and have lost most of my interest in visiting this forum since his departure. The post by Jeannie indicated a ten day ban. That was a month ago.

FetchMeAPepsi January 9th, 2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andice (Post 56251)
Well, if Barry got what he deserved then why do I feel punished? I miss his input and have lost most of my interest in visiting this forum since his departure. The post by Jeannie indicated a ten day ban. That was a month ago.

I got a lot of info from him too. He was always willing to help and I wouldn't have got the front end rebuilt without him. I'll miss his input and his wisdom but I can't stop just because he isn't here anymore. The build must go on!
I like to think he'd appreciate that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56242)
The problem with spray can paint is it's heavily watered down with solvents in order for it to be sprayable from a can, in no time at all it fades and loses it's durability from exposure to sun light.

Well dang it. I KNEW spraypainting was a bad idea. Ugh.

I invested in a few small cans of por-15 this winter to try again. I'm going to use a brush with it. I hate having to media blast it all over again though. Do you know if it's OK to paint the inside under where the tire goes too? I didn't last time but I might this time to fend off any rust monsters.

bigblockv6 January 9th, 2015 02:25 AM

It would be a good idea to under where the tire goes, I highly suggest you invest in a small air compressor and paint gun to get the job done right, spray cans and brushes just don't do it right.

GMCDAC January 9th, 2015 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56241)
I wasn't here but I trust Jeannie's judgement. Like I said though Im glad you're still here, and DAC, GMCGUY, WDShaffer, Groby, Jolly, Ed, and Culver, and all the other guys that have real wrench turning experience. There's a lot of info here on the forum but nothing beats experience.

Without you guys I'd never have got my truck running much less get it into regular use. And restoration? Fuggeddaboudit!

:thanks:

On the downside, my newly painted wheels are rusting in pinholes. :(
Spraypaint was such a bad idea there after all that prepwork.

Glad to see you posting again Fetch! Thanks for including me in that list of those guys, but I'm just here learning for the day when I get one of these great GMC's back in the family again!

I'm behind Jeannie's judgement here too. She had to slap me down once and I deserved it. I respected her stand, posted an apology and let it go before I was banned.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi January 9th, 2015 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56260)
It would be a good idea to under where the tire goes, I highly suggest you invest in a small air compressor and paint gun to get the job done right, spray cans and brushes just don't do it right.

Heh! You haven't read my build thread in a while BBV6!

Welcome to CompressorWorld!

I got a paint gun from Eastwood too but I'm a little afraid to use it with por-15 since it dries as a permanent glassy rock and I have zero experience with it. Have you shot por-15 before?

FetchMeAPepsi January 9th, 2015 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 56261)
Glad to see you posting again Fetch! Thanks for including me in that list of those guys, but I'm just here learning for the day when I get one of these great GMC's back in the family again!

I'm behind Jeannie's judgement here too. She had to slap me down once and I deserved it. I respected her stand, posted an apology and let it go before I was banned.

DAC

You sell yourself short, buddy. You have some great skills and you've helped alot, sometimes when you don't know it (because I've searched old threads and scarfed your ideas muahahaha!)
I wouldn't think of leaving you out! :cheers:

Hantke January 9th, 2015 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56252)
I got a lot of info from him too. He was always willing to help and I wouldn't have got the front end rebuilt without him. I'll miss his input and his wisdom but I can't stop just because he isn't here anymore. The build must go on!
I like to think he'd appreciate that.

Well dang it. I KNEW spraypainting was a bad idea. Ugh.

I invested in a few small cans of por-15 this winter to try again. I'm going to use a brush with it. I hate having to media blast it all over again though. Do you know if it's OK to paint the inside under where the tire goes too? I didn't last time but I might this time to fend off any rust monsters.

Just remember, POR-15 cannot be somewhere with direct sunlight contact, it doesn't last long in the light.

bigblockv6 January 9th, 2015 06:08 AM

I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.

aphaynes January 9th, 2015 02:52 PM

POR-15 can be top coated though.

GMCDAC January 10th, 2015 01:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 56266)
You sell yourself short, buddy. You have some great skills and you've helped alot, sometimes when you don't know it (because I've searched old threads and scarfed your ideas muahahaha!)
I wouldn't think of leaving you out! :cheers:

If anything you read is useable, scarf all you want, and thanks again! I have learned from you too with all the various projects from wood splitters to your GMC, and the way you and the clan have fun with it all is something we all should try to do more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 56272)
I've used POR-15 in the past as well, after 3 months of exposure the gloss turn chalky flat, so yes it is affected by sun light. Also when using it, it is extremely important to clean your paint gun thoroughly because this stuff is like epoxy and it will literally glue the paint cup to the rest of the and you won't be able to take the gun apart. I have a can of it that I used just once and now the lid is glued shut.

Hi Bigblockv6, if that can of POR-15 still seems to be liquid inside and you want to use more, try punching (don't drill obviously) a round hole in it somewhere, to open it up and if there is still good paint left, get a screw the size you want and coat the threads with a little vaseline and screw it into the punched hole. You MAY be able to remove it as needed. Works on sign paint without any lube, and I understand POR is a different animal. I have done it with automotive paints and had good luck too. The possibility exists that if you can clean out the groove in the can pretty good and the lip on the lid and a little coat of ATF or vaseline will allow the lid to come off when needed. It is still an oil-base type of paint so a little oily residue will dissolve into it without adverse affect.

DAC

bigblockv6 January 10th, 2015 01:39 AM

Thanks for the advice I will probably cut the can open at the top and transfer it to another container. I can also tell you I've had 30 plus years in the Auto Body and Paint industry.

GMCDAC January 10th, 2015 01:52 AM

Yeah you told me that once before too-- Sorry! Just trying to give some tips I've learned after 30+ years of sign painting.

DAC

bigblockv6 January 10th, 2015 02:19 AM

Just poked a hole in the POR-15 can and it's thicker than molasses, I may reduce it with some paint thinner but it's no big loss for half a can that's only 1/4 pint size. I've got some new stuff called "Zero Rust" that's supposed to be everything POR-15 is and more.