6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

FetchMeAPepsi November 10th, 2016 12:26 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I forgot to mention a part number on that rear seal, it's MasterPro PT 9613S

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

For the rest of the gaskets I went with ClassicParts

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

GMCDAC November 10th, 2016 03:13 AM

Lots of good info as usual with your posts, Fetch, keep it coming!

Thanks, DAC

TJ's GMC November 10th, 2016 03:14 PM

Looks good! Transmissions can be scary. haha

mvmtoys December 18th, 2016 11:48 PM

:welldone:

bobdylan December 19th, 2016 01:13 AM

Did you find all the needles? I waited to look at a manual until I had bearings all over, somewhere I found a count on how many of each size I needed, good thing I was short some, they were stuck down in the tranny.

FetchMeAPepsi December 23rd, 2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 64633)
Lots of good info as usual with your posts, Fetch, keep it coming!

Thanks, DAC

Thanks Dac! I try. Never know when I'll have to re-do a project :teehee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 64639)
Looks good! Transmissions can be scary. haha

They sure can. This is my second trip down this road though so I'm hardened steel now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmtoys (Post 65439)
:welldone:

:thanks:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdylan (Post 65442)
Did you find all the needles? I waited to look at a manual until I had bearings all over, somewhere I found a count on how many of each size I needed, good thing I was short some, they were stuck down in the tranny.

Haha! Yep, I had that problem the first time too. I use a magnet to dig them all out now. I forget the count, but there's just enough to make you think you got 'em all plus 1.

:lolsmack2:

I've been busy so I haven't finished this project. This week the Powder Puff was out of school (finally!) so we got to work. I love being able to scrub the trans case in the sink without worrying about The Wife knowing. They're so small!

After the scrub, re-scrub, and Ospho wash we were ready to Por-15 him. Here's the Powder Puff playing with the cheapo throw-away paint brush. She got that outerwear cammo outfit for her birthday this year (12) so she can go on her first deer hunt. I gotta get my dehydrator ready for that jerky!

And now the application. We gave him three coats this time, instead of two. No reason why except I saw someone else do three coats somewhere. The instructions say two.

I also loosened the bolts so they don't get painted together.

The bolts I had removed altogether got their little caps painted too. I stuck them in pencil holes in this moth ball box to let them dry. Only two coats on them though, I don't need them changing sizes on me. :teehee:

And look at this! Some of my bolts came clean with my ATF/Actone mixture (homemade PB Blaster) and kept their original reddish paint on! I'm going to see if I can match it again.

One little note about making your own soak - don't put it in a Folgers plastic coffee can. Those things will hold the liquid, but the second someone knocks them off the bench you'll have your own little environmental disaster to clean up. And it ain't fun. Ask me how I know.....:helpsign:

The next time I make some I'm putting it in something with a screw-top lid!

Here's the case all painted up.

And this was supposed to be a shot of the cover (my most desperately needed part) but I guess my photographer's aim was off. :lol:

And that's it. I just need to find a paint color and get to work on the heavy stuff. The Powder Puff and I are going fishin on Monday to get ready for our first tournament, then next weekend (Jan 1) we're going deer hunting. That might be a story too.

Cayoterun December 24th, 2016 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 65543)
Thanks Dac! I try. Never know when I'll have to re-do a project :teehee:

They sure can. This is my second trip down this road though so I'm hardened steel now.

:thanks:

Hey, Fetch and crew: Good to see you back skinnin' your knuckles. Powder Puff is sure growing! Won't be long 'til you'll have more boys wanting to help tinker, than you can shake a stick at.----Weell, maybe you'll need to shake the stick.

Haha! Yep, I had that problem the first time too. I use a magnet to dig them all out now. I forget the count, but there's just enough to make you think you got 'em all plus 1.

:lolsmack2:

I've been busy so I haven't finished this project. This week the Powder Puff was out of school (finally!) so we got to work. I love being able to scrub the trans case in the sink without worrying about The Wife knowing. They're so small!

After the scrub, re-scrub, and Ospho wash we were ready to Por-15 him. Here's the Powder Puff playing with the cheapo throw-away paint brush. She got that outerwear cammo outfit for her birthday this year (12) so she can go on her first deer hunt. I gotta get my dehydrator ready for that jerky!

And now the application. We gave him three coats this time, instead of two. No reason why except I saw someone else do three coats somewhere. The instructions say two.

I also loosened the bolts so they don't get painted together.

The bolts I had removed altogether got their little caps painted too. I stuck them in pencil holes in this moth ball box to let them dry. Only two coats on them though, I don't need them changing sizes on me. :teehee:

And look at this! Some of my bolts came clean with my ATF/Actone mixture (homemade PB Blaster) and kept their original reddish paint on! I'm going to see if I can match it again.

One little note about making your own soak - don't put it in a Folgers plastic coffee can. Those things will hold the liquid, but the second someone knocks them off the bench you'll have your own little environmental disaster to clean up. And it ain't fun. Ask me how I know.....:helpsign:

The next time I make some I'm putting it in something with a screw-top lid!

Here's the case all painted up.

And this was supposed to be a shot of the cover (my most desperately needed part) but I guess my photographer's aim was off. :lol:

And that's it. I just need to find a paint color and get to work on the heavy stuff. The Powder Puff and I are going fishin on Monday to get ready for our first tournament, then next weekend (Jan 1) we're going deer hunting. That might be a story too.

Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back skinnin' knuckles again. Powder Puff is sure growing. Won't be long 'till you'll have more boys hangin' around wanting to mow the lawn, wash parts, or clean the shop than you can count.

Just wanted to wish all of you down there a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our tribe here in the windy flatland.

Cayoterun.net

TJ's GMC December 24th, 2016 04:46 AM

Trans looks great! Nice an shiny! :thumbsup:

kchampagne January 10th, 2017 02:28 AM

Hey Fetch, I vaguely remember you had a crack in your bell housing. Did you ever fix it/find a replacement? If not, I saw this one on the other site.

FetchMeAPepsi October 12th, 2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 65544)
Hey, Fetch: Glad to see you back skinnin' knuckles again. Powder Puff is sure growing. Won't be long 'till you'll have more boys hangin' around wanting to mow the lawn, wash parts, or clean the shop than you can count.

Just wanted to wish all of you down there a "MERRY CHRISTMAS" from our tribe here in the windy flatland.

Cayoterun.net

Buddy I'm so sorry. I haven't been back since Christmas break with the kids. I hope you all had a good one! And Merry Christmas for 2017 too! :thumbsup:

Tell the "Fence Post" I said Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 65553)
Trans looks great! Nice an shiny! :thumbsup:

Thanks TJ. It's still slick as a mirror. That Por 15 is expensive but very nice stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kchampagne (Post 65861)
Hey Fetch, I vaguely remember you had a crack in your bell housing. Did you ever fix it/find a replacement? If not, I saw this one on the other site.

No, that wasn't me KC. I do have a small leak at the slave cylinder but for now I've just been refilling my brake fluid and carrying on.

I ended up blowing the lower unit on the boat (bottom bearing rusted out) and had to put it on the shelf for rebuilding so I slammed the transmission back together and put it in the shed for safekeeping, still shiny black.

Then, to get Cecilia ready for winter I tried to run her a bit with antifreeze in the radiator but she wouldn't start. I cranked and cranked till the battery ran down then I sprayed starting fluid in and she'd puff a little and try to start, but not really.

I figured it maybe wasn't getting gas to the carb so I poured a little gas in and that was gone in a second. She has a new pump so I figured that couldn't be it. The gauge said I had 1/4 tank. So I stuck a broomhandle down the gas fill neck and it came back wet so I was stumped.

Well after pulling off the under cab filter again I noticed that almost no gas ran out and up my arm (in my hair, and everywhere else it likes to go while your hand is trying to screw the cap back on...) so either there was a blockage in the tank or there was no gas.

So I pulled off the sending unit in the tank. It's just about 6 little screws, a grounding wire, and a tube connection (no pics this time, sorry!).

And the float came out with a big split in it. Also, it wouldn't go all the way down and still register on the gauge. And the tank was empty except for a little dab in the bottom, apparently below the pickup line.

Isn't this the second or third time I've ran out of gas now? What's wrong with me? :teehee:

Anyway, so I ordered a replacement from Classic Parts for $39.00 shipped. I love how so much of this stuff is cheap as dirt.

Also, I got the 30 ohm version. There's a 90 ohm version too, but from the website:

Quote:

30 ohm sending units work with original style fuel gauges up thru 1966 trucks. 90 ohm sending units were used on most 1967 and later trucks. If you are using modern gauges (Dakota Digital, Classic Instruments, etc.. ) make sure you are using a 90 ohm sending unit to get a correct fuel level reading.

TJ's GMC October 15th, 2017 04:04 PM

Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one. :thumbsup:

OdieTN March 1st, 2018 10:49 PM

Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi March 3rd, 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 68125)
Glad the fix will hopefully be a simple one. :thumbsup:

You know me better than that, TJ! I put the new one in, it still registers as 1/4 tank full, and to top it off the connections don't seal and it sucks air like a bike pump. I still haven't got her running yet. I'm hoping to have some time this next weekend to tear in there and figure it out. That 1/4 tank thing is bothering me though. It should show "empty", but it doesn't. Resistance issues maybe? My ground is good. I love electrical problems...
:pullinghairout:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTN (Post 68848)
Hey Fetch! How is Cecilia coming along? I've really enjoyed your thread. I'll be doing my carb this weekend, so I appreciate all you help with that for sure. :thumbsup:

Hi Odie! Thanks for reading my mess! I hope the carb comes along great for you and your little helpers. There was a big difference in how she ran after I got mine rebuilt and tuned. She still pops and coughs sometimes when I throttle up (maybe too rich?) but when I mash that gas she'll wake right up and cruise. No muffler so everyone freaks out a little if they're driving a ricebox beside me, but she'll do 0-60 in 30 seconds. I mean minutes. :teehee:

FetchMeAPepsi April 5th, 2018 01:26 AM

It's one of those days. :winter::winter::winter: It's freakin' cold outside and I'm planning all the stuff I could be doing if it were warm. I want to learn how to mix concrete and build a concrete drive or pad (same thing?). I want to clean out my gutters. I want to buy a new grill and make some steaks in the evening sun....

But I really want to get my baby running again. I still have this gas issue. I hope to pull her apart again tomorrow and get her running. It's been so long now that I'll have to air up the tires again haha.

:teehee:

Tomorrow my morning temps will be below freezing in the morning, but it should warm up enough by afternoon that I can turn a wrench on her. If I get her running again I might even make a trip to the dump for fun and drop off some of these "treasures" I been hoarding around the house.

FetchMeAPepsi April 5th, 2018 01:30 AM

And to top it off, all my planning means I'm looking on ebay for cheap stuff, tools, mischief, and whatnot. i'm spending more money than if I was really working on things, and this is just the planning stages. I mean, do I really need a $300 concrete mixer from harbor freight? Do I?

kknotts April 5th, 2018 04:25 AM

Fetch is ALIVE!! Was wondering about you the other day.

FetchMeAPepsi April 6th, 2018 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kknotts (Post 69024)
Fetch is ALIVE!! Was wondering about you the other day.

Hey Kknotts! I'm glad to hear you think about me :cheers:

I think about you guys too. I miss being here every weekend posting updates. I do have a little one today. :thumbsup:

I unscrewed my gas line again to make sure it was fitting right. Here's what it looked like.

Then I pulled it all the way out to take a peek at the end to see if it was buggared up. It wasn't.

So I stuck two fingers on the other side of the hose to make sure it was lined up right, then I tightened it back up real good.

See? Real good!

Then I went through my jump battery and all three boat batteries trying to start her up. I even put starting fluid and gas in the carb.

She'd puff puff and then die every time. Still not getting gas through the line, and I'm not sure why. The fuel pump is relatively new. I might pull the fuel sending unit back out and make sure it doesn't have some kinda cap on the end next. It SHOULD be running through there like an obedient troop of boy scouts but it's starving.

Back to square 1. :banghead:

James April 7th, 2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69027)

I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.
:rowdybeer::upyes:

FetchMeAPepsi April 18th, 2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69029)
I had a similar problem with the engine not getting fuel and I had change my fuel sending unit when I first started to work on my truck (fuel gage would not work). In my case everything was fine. Then slowly I notice the carb was not getting enough fuel until it quit providing me fuel. I am using an electric fuel pump and I notice that it was not changing tone (was pumping only air at this time) when the carb became full (engine not running at this point). I had disconnected the fuel line from the sending unit and found it dry. I connected a rubber hose to the line and turn the key on, pump change tone and the engine started with no problem. On a closer examination of the fuel sending unit I notice the brass fitting didn't look right and didn't match the original mounting position on the line and the solder didn't look like it had bonded. I removed and leak check the sending unit and found it was leaking at the solder joint. I got my torch out and removed the brass fitting, then I found out it was barely on the line. I cleaned the inside of the brass fitting and the line. The I reassembled it making sure the brass had bottom out on the line and the solder (using acid core solder) was all the way around. I wash the sending unit inside and out with water then blow dry with compress air. Then I put it back in the truck and had no further problems with fuel delivery.
:rowdybeer::upyes:

:upyes:

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?

James April 18th, 2018 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69049)
:upyes:

James you trouble-shot the heck out of that problem! so I just need to get in there with a torch and see if the fitting is loose?

Mine was not loose, just poorly assembled and not fully seated. Sorted like they bump it after solder and tried to put it back together before the solder solidify. This resulted is a tiny air gap in the connection. Be sure the sending unit is removed from the truck because the torch will make many pieces of you and your truck.:ahhhh: We need you to hang around for a very very long while.

FetchMeAPepsi July 22nd, 2018 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69050)
Mine was not loose, just poorly assembled and not fully seated. Sorted like they bump it after solder and tried to put it back together before the solder solidify. This resulted is a tiny air gap in the connection. Be sure the sending unit is removed from the truck because the torch will make many pieces of you and your truck.:ahhhh: We need you to hang around for a very very long while.

Mine turned out to be a "pizza-junk". I finally got time to jump out there and fiddle with it today for a while. And get this, the Powder Puff made it out too! Once they get older they just don't like to sweat a drop anymore. I've come to accept it I guess, but when they get a little dad-sick and come out from the air conditioning to spend time with me it sure does make me happy.
:rowdybeer::rowdybeer::rowdybeer:

So we started off pulling the 5 screws, two nuts, and one pipe off the sending unit - again.

Then on a whim, I thought, "May as well remove that nasty old gas in the tank while I"m in there" so I removed the bolts holding the straps on the tank. That's really all that's holding the tank in there. Plus one worm strap thingy on the fuel neck.

The worm strap was 3/8", I could barely get to it with a wrench, but here's what it looks like.

These straps are just springy metal straps, but they're bent to fit the tank. If you don't move them behind the tank, you'll swear it's bolted down somewhere else.

FetchMeAPepsi July 22nd, 2018 03:29 AM

I picked it up from the passenger side. That made the driver's side where the fill tube is go down, With a little wiggling it popped free and didn't spill a drop of old, yucky gas.

Oddly, the whole collar came loose instead of just the part I loosened. I guess it was loose way up in there where it connects to the fill hole.

And although my sending unit said I was empty, it was half full of yellow, gross gasoline. No wonder it was so heavy!

And when I emptied it out in responsible manner that the EPA would approve of, and not in dead spot in my yard, :teehee: , all the insides were covered in what looked like rust!

And check out what my sending unit looks like after only a few weeks sitting in the tank. The float even has holes in it!

So now I'm thinking I need to replace the gas tank, or maybe coat it? And I definitely need a new sending unit.

Ed Snyder July 22nd, 2018 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69445)

And although my sending unit said I was empty, it was half full of yellow, gross gasoline. No wonder it was so heavy!

So now I'm thinking I need to replace the gas tank, or maybe coat it? And I definitely need a new sending unit.

I recently went through the same scenario with my '67. My recommendation would be to go with a new tank. They're not that expensive.

GMCDAC July 25th, 2018 12:44 AM

Wish you were closer Fetch, I've got a nice clean tank from a '64 Chevy truck you could have. Probably would be the same.

DAC

aphaynes August 2nd, 2018 01:22 PM

Glad to see PowderPuff joined you. :welldone:
Maybe that's what's up with my tank. It always hits empty at about half a tank, even after I replaced the sending unit. I thought the gauge might have an issue.

FetchMeAPepsi August 20th, 2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 69446)
I recently went through the same scenario with my '67. My recommendation would be to go with a new tank. They're not that expensive.

I looked at some of the guys that did the coating/cleanouts. Not real convinced that isn't just causing more trouble with scale breaking off, more rust later, etc. I think you're right Ed. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 69463)
Wish you were closer Fetch, I've got a nice clean tank from a '64 Chevy truck you could have. Probably would be the same.
DAC

Thanks Dac! This isn't the first time I wished we were closer! I'm going to start pouring green persimmon water between your place and mine tomorrow morning. By this time next year we should have all the space drawn up between us then we can do some real building, haha! (Green persimmons = super sour. Pour on ground to create instant black holes. Dilute for safety!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 69498)
Glad to see PowderPuff joined you. :welldone:
Maybe that's what's up with my tank. It always hits empty at about half a tank, even after I replaced the sending unit. I thought the gauge might have an issue.

I also think the sending units they send us don't reach to the bottom of the tanks. I'm going to monkey around with this when the new parts come in and see if I need to bend the intake hose down further, or maybe add a pickup hose. :newidea:

Well I broke down tonight and place an order with LMC Trucks. I usually order from Brothers, but dang they wanted over $60.00 more for the exact same products! Not today, Satan!

Here's the bill for a sending unit and new tank:

1 32-5921 GAS TANK-17 GALLON 149.95
1 32-4015 SENDING UNIT 49.95

Parts Total: $199.90
Delivery & Handling: $27.75
Oversized Part Fee: $20.00 (Fuel tank)
ORDER TOTAL: $247.65

jagarra August 20th, 2018 01:38 PM

When I bought my replacement tank I also ordered a new sending unit. I ended up using the old sending unit as the fittings were a different size for the fuel line to the carburetor. ( I think they were the next size smaller)

If your filter neck grommet is in bad shape, now is the time to replace. I will say one thing, the new rubber items didn't hold up nearly as well as OEM items, mine is cracked after a couple of years.

FetchMeAPepsi August 20th, 2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 69560)
When I bought my replacement tank I also ordered a new sending unit. I ended up using the old sending unit as the fittings were a different size for the fuel line to the carburetor. ( I think they were the next size smaller)

If your filter neck grommet is in bad shape, now is the time to replace. I will say one thing, the new rubber items didn't hold up nearly as well as OEM items, mine is cracked after a couple of years.

Good idea! Mine is cracked too. I ordered another from Steele Rubber because everyone says they're tough stuff. Expensive stuff is more like it!
I sure hope it lasts!

Fuel neck grommet p/n: 70-1942-41

1 $39.70
Subtotal: $39.70
Shipping: $11.73
Tax: --
Total: $51.43

jagarra August 20th, 2018 03:30 PM

I checked out their site. Interesting that less parts were listed for the GMC than for the Chevy even though most of the items they list can be used on the GMC as well.

James August 20th, 2018 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 69559)
I also think the sending units they send us don't reach to the bottom of the tanks. I'm going to monkey around with this when the new parts come in and see if I need to bend the intake hose

The next time I work on my tank I going to install a HydraMat Fuel Pickup.

I will have to adapt it from 3/8" NPT to a 5/16" line. It will get every drop of fuel out of the tank.

snazzypig August 21st, 2018 11:26 PM

Fetch, I think we all really enjoy following your build adventures! Slow but steady. Reminds me of me and probably a few others on here!

Sure hope your new gas filler grommet from Steele holds up. They do have an excellent reputation. Like many others, I went to a lot of trouble to put on one of the foreign made grommets, only to see it crack and disintegrate in only a few months. The 58 year old grommet I replaced was still serviceable though showing it's age. Says a lot about genuine American made quality!

I recently ordered two grommets from

in Olympia Wash. (Click on 60-66 Truck Parts, then Rubber & Weatherstrip). They are made in the USA and were extensively tested before being put on the market. Come with a lifetime warranty and sell for $9.95 each. The pair I ordered cost $23.40 shipped. Just an option to consider. They look good and fit well. Time will tell how well they hold up.

FetchMeAPepsi August 22nd, 2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 69563)
I checked out their site. Interesting that less parts were listed for the GMC than for the Chevy even though most of the items they list can be used on the GMC as well.

I agree! I wrote to them about it but didn't hear back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69564)
The next time I work on my tank I going to install a HydraMat Fuel Pickup.

I will have to adapt it from 3/8" NPT to a 5/16" line. It will get every drop of fuel out of the tank.

That looks cool! I wonder if it really works? I know some shirts are made like that for sweat, but I never noticed a difference in them. I think for $150 they better work though, right? Let me know how it turns out! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snazzypig (Post 69565)
Fetch, I think we all really enjoy following your build adventures! Slow but steady. Reminds me of me and probably a few others on here!

Sure hope your new gas filler grommet from Steele holds up. They do have an excellent reputation. Like many others, I went to a lot of trouble to put on one of the foreign made grommets, only to see it crack and disintegrate in only a few months. The 58 year old grommet I replaced was still serviceable though showing it's age. Says a lot about genuine American made quality!

I recently ordered two grommets from

in Olympia Wash. (Click on 60-66 Truck Parts, then Rubber & Weatherstrip). They are made in the USA and were extensively tested before being put on the market. Come with a lifetime warranty and sell for $9.95 each. The pair I ordered cost $23.40 shipped. Just an option to consider. They look good and fit well. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Thanks Snazzypig! I would work on her a lot more but, to be honest, I had too many dang kids! Love them all, but man I don't remember what a hot meal tastes like at this point. Too much to do, skates and necklaces to fix, booboos to kiss, homework to help with, and so on and so on.

I rest easy in the fact that one day I'll need all the help in the world and they'll be there for me too. At least hopefully one or two will. I had enough that I'm going for the shotgun approach, haha!

Hey, let me know how those filler grommets work out. I know I got the expensive one, but everyone swore that Steele rubber was the only rubber they trusted for weather stripping and such so I wanted to be safe. I hated spending the money so if yours hold up I'll make a note of it when I buy weather stripping and get it there instead.

I got a little surprise in the mail today. I don't know why my camera has so much blur to it. Maybe the Powder Puff has been taking smoochie pics with it again and got the lens chap sticky. Girls can be weird.
Here's the lil' blonde instead. Powder Puff had homework.

Here it is next to the old rusty one. Note the new coating on the new one that makes it kinda gray looking instead of shiny stainless. I kinda prefer the shiny, but I get the reason for the paint.

To refresh my memory in the future, I wrote the place I ordered it from and the date on the tank. This way I'll know how long it lasted when it dies. I also went back and wrote "17 gallon" on it as an afterthought.

My sending unit will be here on Monday. Once it arrives I should be able to fire her up again! She's been sitting just about the entire summer! Watch out, world!

:wubGMC:

FetchMeAPepsi August 29th, 2018 01:21 AM

I can't leave things alone. I took a sawzall to my old gas tank. (It was fumed out by now, of course). Look inside this thing! This is my fill tube!

And look at the rust that was knocked loose by me cutting it apart. The grass is because I mowed.

The rusty made-in-china sending unit....I broke the float arm off and removed the pickup screen so I could see how far the pickup tube went to the bottom now that my tank has a...view port...haha!

And what do you know? It actually pokes pretty deep into there. There's about an inch of clearance on the bottom! I still think I'll bend mine down an inch so it can get to every drop.

FetchMeAPepsi August 29th, 2018 01:31 AM

I also got my super expensive (possibly unnecessarily so!) fill grommet installed. It's the only thing holding the fill tube in the truck, in case you didn't know!

Here is what it looked like to begin with.

I just took a pair of pliers (actually channel locks) and a flathead screwdriver and started rip-snorting through the cracked pieces to get it pulled free.

One of the pieces was still stuck to most of the good rubber and pulled it out like this.

So I had this in my hand.

I wire wheeled it to get some of the rust off and shine it up a touch.

FetchMeAPepsi August 29th, 2018 01:36 AM

I never could get it inside the face to get all the rusty color out of it, but it looked a lot better than it did before. So I stuck the new grommet on it.

And check out the size difference. The old grommet was larger. :(
I worked the lip around with the screwdriver until it was seated back in its hole. It wasn't hard. The new rubber was very pliable.

And this is the final result. Tada! I'll have to do it all again if I ever paint her, I guess.

Oh yeah, and my new sending unit came in. I plugged one end and blew the other to check for leaks. Seemed pretty tight! Also, this one is labeled as STAINLESS STEEL, whereas the other one was just labeled POOP, I mean, CHINA. :teehee:

I'll try to get the tank in this weekend if it doesn't get nasty or I don't get covered up in Honey-dos. Vroom vroom!

James August 29th, 2018 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=FetchMeAPepsi;69575]I never could get it inside the face to get all the rusty color out of it, but it looked a lot better than it did before. So I stuck the new grommet on it.

And check out the size difference. The old grommet was larger. :(
I worked the lip around with the screwdriver until it was seated back in its hole. It wasn't hard. The new rubber was very pliable.

And this is the final result. Tada! I'll have to do it all again if I ever paint her, I guess.

QUOTE]

The trick to install the filler neck grommet is to installed it first in the truck. Then put a light coat of Vaseline on the grommet and the filler tube. Then it slide in easily. The same go for the interconnecting hose.

snazzypig August 30th, 2018 04:40 AM

Another fine adventure there Fetch! If you can afford to keep non ethanol gas in your new tank it won't rust out so quickly.

To add to James' tip, I first slide the filler hose over the filler neck and tighten the upper clamp securely. Then insert the neck up through the grommet. I like to spray rubbing alcohol on the parts which makes things slide in place easily and it leaves no residue. Vaseline or grease works too. Next, hang the lower clamp over the gas tank neck. Then block up or have someone raise the passenger side of the tank, and slide the tank over to meet the lower end of the hose. Lower the other end of the tank so that the neck rises to meet the lower hose. The hose should be as low as possible so you can access and tighten the lower clamp. If your spacing is good at the top, the filler neck will protrude the right amount.
I'm sure there are other good ways to do this job, this is just what works for me.

With all your little helpers ready to help Daddy, it should be a fun project!

FetchMeAPepsi September 6th, 2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 69578)

The trick to install the filler neck grommet is to installed it first in the truck. Then put a light coat of Vaseline on the grommet and the filler tube. Then it slide in easily. The same go for the interconnecting hose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snazzypig (Post 69583)
Another fine adventure there Fetch! If you can afford to keep non ethanol gas in your new tank it won't rust out so quickly.

To add to James' tip, I first slide the filler hose over the filler neck and tighten the upper clamp securely. Then insert the neck up through the grommet. I like to spray rubbing alcohol on the parts which makes things slide in place easily and it leaves no residue. Vaseline or grease works too. Next, hang the lower clamp over the gas tank neck. Then block up or have someone raise the passenger side of the tank, and slide the tank over to meet the lower end of the hose. Lower the other end of the tank so that the neck rises to meet the lower hose. The hose should be as low as possible so you can access and tighten the lower clamp. If your spacing is good at the top, the filler neck will protrude the right amount.
I'm sure there are other good ways to do this job, this is just what works for me.

With all your little helpers ready to help Daddy, it should be a fun project!

Great tips guys! The rubber Steele uses is very pliable so it slips in easily ungreased, but I did tie the filler neck to it before putting it back together this time.

:signthankspin:

I started with taking the dang thing off again (figures!)

Then I shoved it into the rubber hose that connects it to the tank.

Then I went and stuck the anti-squeakers back in place under the tank. These feel like they were once gasket material just cut to fit. I bet you could make some new ones real easy, but I didn't have any gasket material so they went back on.

The tank fit right back up the hole area like it should. Now I pushed the filler neck on and it slid on very easily.

FetchMeAPepsi September 6th, 2018 05:54 PM

At this point I needed a helper and had none. So I made one. This is Board. He's my new best friend. I think next time the kids say "Daddy, I'm bored" I'm going to say, "That's great! I needed a board. Come hold this for me."

Board held the end of the gas tank up so that I could walk around and maneuver the hose on the end of it. He's a good boy.

This is where it left me on placement. Whoops!

So I slid the rubber hose connector up a bit to the end of where the tank neck changes from round to a flattened shape and tightened it down. This gave me very easy access to the...well it's not a worm clamp. I don't know what you'd call this thing, but it held nicely when I tightened it up.

Then I held the end of it while Board slowly lowered the other end. Ok, I stuck a hammer handle in this end and moved ol' Board. He was tired anyway.

And see how nicely it came through?

Stupidly, I went ahead and tightened the straps now. I should have put the grommet on the filler neck outside and got everything lined up. But I didn't.

I went ahead and put the sending unit in now too. I bent it about 1 1/4 inches down and put it in there. Of course it didn't fit, and I had to bend it back. I took it in and out about three times. Fun!

After getting all the wires and stuff connected I checked the gauge, and it still read just under 1/4 tank. I guess I'll need a resister in there somewhere. A project for another day.

So I put the grommet outside back on (after re-doing it a few times for uh...practice)...

And put a couple of gallons of gas in her. No pic of the fillup because I needed two hands and Board was resting after all his hard work.

FetchMeAPepsi September 6th, 2018 05:59 PM

Oh, here's one of the gauge. I missed it earlier.

Anyway I was ready to start. And I'm not a complete idiot, I primed the carb. Then I turned the engine over. And over. And over. And she never even tried to run aside from the priming. Not a lick!

I crawled under to check the under cab filter so see if gas was going through the tubes and guess what?

Yep, a cracked gasket. I had to buy a whole new filter because nobody sells just the rubber gasket.

And you'd think that was the end of it, but no. (more when I get a free minute tomorrow or the next day!)