6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy) (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321)

Rockdriller April 26th, 2014 05:26 AM

Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

I don't know the whole story on that......but I think the dog's name is "Grease Board".

JPBrecheisen April 28th, 2014 03:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fetch,

You need to get the 2 snap rings off before you need the socket for the spindle nuts.

Take a look at the yellow arrows on your pics. They are pointing to where the snap wrings are.

The larger diameter one is the outer one and can be removed with a flat blade screw driver.

The inner one (around the axle shaft stub) will need a set of snap wring pliers.

I hope this helps some.

Jonathon

FetchMeAPepsi May 4th, 2014 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen (Post 53140)
Fetch,

You need to get the 2 snap rings off before you need the socket for the spindle nuts.

Take a look at the yellow arrows on your pics. They are pointing to where the snap wrings are.

The larger diameter one is the outer one and can be removed with a flat blade screw driver.

The inner one (around the axle shaft stub) will need a set of snap wring pliers.

I hope this helps some.

Jonathon

Thanks Jonathon! That did the trick. It was covered in rust and almost invisible. (yes, I feel pretty dumb right now) I got it off with a screwdriver but my hub is still stuck on. I tapped it with a hammer and it still didn't budge. Spanner wrench time?

BarryGMC May 4th, 2014 08:22 PM

The outside of the hub has splines. I am sure it's got some rust and old dry grease making it not want to slide out. I would spray your favorite penetrating oil in behind where the snap ring was and carefully try to pry it out. BTW I figured out how to add stuff to pics on the forum. I can take a screen shot of the pic and use note ology to draw on the pic and post the modified pic. Way cool. Next I just need to learn how to type with more than one finger. I just saw your PM. There are a couple of different transmissions used. It would be easier to use the whole trans assembly. Barry.

JPBrecheisen May 5th, 2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 53214)
Thanks Jonathon! That did the trick. It was covered in rust and almost invisible. (yes, I feel pretty dumb right now) I got it off with a screwdriver but my hub is still stuck on. I tapped it with a hammer and it still didn't budge. Spanner wrench time?

Fetch,

Post a picture of the hub in its current state so I can know how to guide you best in the next step.

Jonathon

FetchMeAPepsi May 5th, 2014 07:57 PM

It still looks like this but with the little snap ring removed. Nothing came apart after the snap ring came out, just a little dust. Should it have pulled off?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

BarryGMC May 5th, 2014 09:49 PM

If you look at jonothans pic with the little arrow and you are holding the spindle nut socket. That part you are touching needs to slide out of the tube. Its held in by the outer ring you removed. Then the socket will fit inside.

JPBrecheisen May 7th, 2014 06:34 AM

Fetch,

Thanks for the pic posting, but what we need to see is inside the hub. What is holding it on is inside the "cavity" of the wheel hub.

BarryGMC is right on the money. You'll need to get the "locking hub mechanism" out of the wheel hub before you'll have access to the spindle nuts.

Take a second look at the pictures I put the arrow on. I'm not familiar with the style locking hubs you have, but you might possibly need to also remove the snap ring that's on the axle shaft itself.

Take a look inside the hub cavity and see if you can spot another snap ring. It will be about the diameter of 50 cent piece. Wipe the grease out of it and see if you can't see one near the center where the axle shaft is sticking through.

Jonathon

JPBrecheisen May 7th, 2014 06:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Take a look at this pic. This groove where the screwdriver is pointing is where you need to look at the center of the hub to make sure the snap ring is removed.

Normally you need to remove both of them to get the locking hubs all the way out. You've got the large one, now we need to make sure you got the small one.

Take a peek inside the hub and see if you can see it. I drew some things on one of your pictures again. The circle identifies the outer axle shaft. The arrow is pointing to where the snap ring will be.

Jonathon

FetchMeAPepsi May 7th, 2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53230)
If you look at jonothans pic with the little arrow and you are holding the spindle nut socket. That part you are touching needs to slide out of the tube. Its held in by the outer ring you removed. Then the socket will fit inside.

I can't seem to pry it apart. I will soak it in PB Blaster today and give it another shot :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen (Post 53256)
Take a look at this pic. This groove where the screwdriver is pointing is where you need to look at the center of the hub to make sure the snap ring is removed.

Normally you need to remove both of them to get the locking hubs all the way out. You've got the large one, now we need to make sure you got the small one.

Take a peek inside the hub and see if you can see it. I drew some things on one of your pictures again. The circle identifies the outer axle shaft. The arrow is pointing to where the snap ring will be.

Jonathon

Thanks Jonathon. That was the first snap ring that I got off with my unknown-till-then snap-ring pliers. Total rings so far are two. Is there another one in there? :headscratch:

FetchMeAPepsi May 7th, 2014 07:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a cleaner round of pics. I don't see any other snap rings running around in there but I didn't see the one on the outside either so...:pullinghairout:

I tried prying on it more at two places (shown in last two pics) but still not even a wiggle.

BarryGMC May 7th, 2014 09:26 PM

The last pic with the hammer and pry bar are on the right track. Hold tight a little and I will post a pick that may help

BarryGMC May 7th, 2014 09:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK . The pic I described in my last post. thats the part that comes out. That outet groove Is where the screws on the big knob ride in. Put a 2.5 inch clamp in that groove and tighten it up then pry between the clamp and the hub just outside of where the large snap ring was. If you get it a little tap it in. Once you do thst a few it should just slide out. Disregard the flange in the pic this hub bolts on yours is splined. I am only using thsr hub because its a selectro ant the part protruding from your wheel hub is the same.

BarryGMC May 7th, 2014 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what it looks like in an internal spline hub. You can see the spindle nut and the splines. Just for fun here is a pic of a bolt on hub. So you know what I mean when I say bolt on hub. :pullinghairout::bbeer:

FetchMeAPepsi May 9th, 2014 08:41 PM

Guess what guys? IT'S OUT! :bigdance::bigdance::bigdance:

That last pic with the clamp on the end showed me what I should shoot for, kinda. I thought the lip was going to pull away like the other gear thing that came out. That's not exactly what happened lol.

{{{{Begin dream sequence Dooodlie doo! Doodlie doo! Doodlie doo!}}}}}

It all started when the baby blonde went to sleep today. I ran and got my grubbies on (junky clothes) then went and did a couple of honey-dos to make sure the General was content. Can't have her coming down on me when I'm elbow deep in Cecilia, right? Then I sauntered over, looked Cecilia in the eye, and sang, "Cecilia! You're breaking my heart! Let go of that dang hub right-now baaaabeyyyyyy!"

Then I put my crowbar and hammer to work again. And I turned it, and did it some more. All the while I was terrified I'd break the lip off the gear-thing I was banging on. Then it happened. After about 15 solid "Please don't break, sweetie" whacks......

It moved! :ahhhh:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

It came all the way out to the edge, but then it wouldn't budge. I whacked more, I whacked harder. I got jiggy with it and shouted funny words laced with venom. Every time it would come to the end of the outer shell (flange?) it would pop right back to flush. Like it had a rubber band on one side of it.

I worked on it about 20 minutes more then took a break and consulted my book. Nothing in there that said this should be more difficult than it was (it was kinda worthless at this point anyway). I did more eye inspection, nothing I could see. So I banged it back inside in frustration. It moved again.

So I crowbar-hammered it back out again, rotating it and whacking, rotating and whacking. And this little rubber hair appeared over the edge of where it was sliding. Some kind of seal? If so, it was destroyed now. It's not the O ring on the outside beside where I was prying. It came from the rusty spot where the last metal snap ring came off.

So I whacked it some more and it gave a big PPPpbbbtttt! noise and poped right out!

I pulled the entire thing out and rewarded myself with a refreshment and toasted you guys that helped me get this far :beer:

FetchMeAPepsi May 9th, 2014 08:48 PM

Now for that spanner wrench thingy. Totally unnecessary! Thanks to Ed Snyder if I remember right I got the idea to use a punch of sorts. Here's what it looked like after pulling out that last huge gear.

See those red dots? They're around little square looking cutouts in the funny looking nut on the axle. I put my needle nosed pliers in that top cutout and whacked it lightly with a hammer. It spun free. :giggity: Thanks Ed!

I pulled it out and put it aside with the other parts, in order so i don't lose what goes where.

Now I can reach in and grab the center pole, the axle? And it wiggles pretty good up and down and in and out. Maybe that's what it's supposed to do? I dont know.

Next there's a little washer thing with holes in it. I stuck a booger picker looking hook in there and just dragged it out. It isn't locked on or anything.

FetchMeAPepsi May 9th, 2014 08:51 PM

Behind that is ANOTHER nut. I just stuck my booger picker through the holes on it and spun it around about 1500 times.

Inside here it smelled like burned oil and dead cats. I saw some hard, chunky stuff on the bottom of the cylinder. It disintegrated when I tried to mash it.

Then I grabbed the whole kit and caboodle and Fwoop! It came right off!

:thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi May 9th, 2014 09:00 PM

Deep inside the flange (thats what I'm calling it, it might not be right) is a bearing. Here's my booger picker pulling it out.

It was made by Timkin and even had a part number. LM5....something something something. I'll have to look at it again after it's cleaned.

I could see another bearing inside the flange but it wouldn't fit out the front. So I flipped it over to the back. From my transmission rebuild I knew what I had here. A gasket!

And I know how to deal with gaskets...Squeeeze.....

POP! :woo:

Then I noticed the seal didn't have any rubber in it. It was just a metal seal. Is it supposed to be like that? Hopefully I didn't just ruin it :ahh:

I pulled out the bearing, another Timkin with another part number

Then I was out of time so I threaded everything, in order, onto a piece of coathanger and stuck it in a nice jaccuzzi (bucket) of Carb Cleaner to get some cleaning done. Might be time for a new batch though, because it's black as sin now and doesn't smell much like carb cleaner anymore :rofl:

Thank you Barry, Johathon, Foley, Ed Snyder, and everyone else I missed for all the help, offers, and tips. You guys all rock! :signthankspin::getrdone2::yeahthat::rowdybeer:

GMCDAC May 10th, 2014 01:38 AM

Glad to see your victory over this stubborn hub! That chunk of rubber you pulled out earlier may have been the seal that was gone out of that seal you pulled in the "Pop" pic. I'm sure a rubber lip should have been in there. Numbers might be stamped in that metal ring too.

Thanks for the updates.

DAC

BarryGMC May 10th, 2014 06:19 AM

Good job. First its not a gasket its a seal. Next you need to remove the spindle from the knuckle. That's held on by the 6 bolts. Then we can walk you through the next step. Before you do the rest get a proper parts washer. It only needs to be an old canning kettle or metal wash pail and a parts cleaner brush and a gallon of diesel.

FetchMeAPepsi May 12th, 2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 53304)
Glad to see your victory over this stubborn hub! That chunk of rubber you pulled out earlier may have been the seal that was gone out of that seal you pulled in the "Pop" pic. I'm sure a rubber lip should have been in there. Numbers might be stamped in that metal ring too.

Thanks for the updates.

DAC

Thanks for reading Dac. I think you're right. I'll order a replacement ring this week and we'll see what a new one looks like :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53310)
Good job. First its not a gasket its a seal. Next you need to remove the spindle from the knuckle. That's held on by the 6 bolts. Then we can walk you through the next step. Before you do the rest get a proper parts washer. It only needs to be an old canning kettle or metal wash pail and a parts cleaner brush and a gallon of diesel.

So there's no rubber ring that goes into it? I might need to bend it back into round. I buggered it up a little on the edges :poke:

I got me a big purple tub to put my stuff in. I'm going to buy 5 gallons of diesel this week and try my hand at not setting myself on fire. The kiddos will be home full time in a couple of weeks too so I'll have more time to PLAY WITH CECILIA! This will be great because the Powder Puff has been itchin to help but she just doesn't have the time anymore.

:woo:

I sure love this truck, and all the great things that come with it :)

FetchMeAPepsi May 12th, 2014 02:59 AM

So Barry, did you mean THESE 9/16 sized six bolts? Yes Sir!

With those six bolts out the brake assembly just fell away!

I set it on top of the axle. Then I was left with this elephant looking thing

Here's a closer view. Nothing seemed worn or scratched up.

Next I took the four bolts out on top. Also 9/16 sized.

This thing pulled straight out. It doesn't seem to have a purpose :D
But there were THREE metal gaskets under it. Weird

Then I took the four bolts out of the bottom one. It had no metal gaskets on it at all.

Also interesting, two of the bottom one's bolts were longer than the top ones. Here they are side by side.

The long bolts went on the rear outside corner and the front inside corner. Here's my finger showing you where they go.

Then the bottom "purposeless thing" came loose with a little wiggling.

Then I moved to the back of the knuckle (big round thing holding the elephant trunk). I took about half the bolts out of it. They're 1/2 inch bolts, not 9/16 like the front.

I had the wheel turned when I took it loose so I had to use a wrench for some of them :)

As I took the last bolt out this thin metal piece fell off and smacked the ground. Beware of falling brackets!

FetchMeAPepsi May 12th, 2014 03:18 AM

In the front of the wheel - I mean the knuckle, it hooks to the steering bar thing. It has a cotter pin in it. Mine broke when I tried to take it out. Too much rusting I guess.

The nut is 3/4 inch. I spun it down almost off, but left it on for whacking.

Now I whacked it with a hammer to pop it loose. Leaving the nut on it keeps the hammer from messing up the threads.

After that I took it off the rest of the way.

The steering bar just lifts up out of the way.

Then I grabbed the little ear that the steering bar hooked to and wiggled it back and forth. this broke the outside of the knuckle loose so I could pull it off of the elephant trunk thing.

Sitting in the bottom of this was a little cup bearing.

FetchMeAPepsi May 12th, 2014 03:30 AM

This freed up the elephant trunk entirely so I pulled it out. It kept going, and going...

And going! This thing must have been hooked up to Arkansas somewhere!

It didn't seem to have any abrasions or anything weird with it either, besides a boatload of grease! I put it in my inherited purple wash bucket. It just barely fit. I'll get a better look at it after I clean all the grease off.

That left me with this paper gasket and a couple of metal brackets on the back of the knuckle.

The back of the paper gasket had the other half of that metal bracket on it, but stuck to it real good. The one that fell must have been knocked loose by the impact wrench.

Then I carefully worked the paper gasket off the knuckle. It didn't want to fit without tearing. I'll have to be careful with the replacement. It's a tight fit.

Then I spotted this little cup bearing in the top hole (right under where it's shown in the pic). It goes under the "purposeless thing".

FetchMeAPepsi May 12th, 2014 03:40 AM

Finally there's a thicker metal piece that goes around the axle. It has a split in it so you can bend one side up, one side down, just enough to slip it around the axle.

Then I flipped the brake assembly over and inside it there was a brass sleeve.

And this is what it looks like now. Piece of cake! Well, really it looks like this with a trash bag over it because we're having tornadoes over for dinner tonight according to the weather man. Can't have Cecilia getting water-on-the-knee at her tender young age of 52

I am disappointed that aside from a few rubber bits I haven't really found anything that might make a good squeaky noise. But I'm going to replace all the bearings and seals anyway.

The other side should be a snap after this! :thumbsup:

BarryGMC May 12th, 2014 04:15 AM

Cool. When you start cleaning pop the spindle off the backing plate and clean it. When I get to an I pad I will give you my thoughts. AND give you the proper terms. Elephant thing. I almost choked on my dessert . Barry

GMCDAC May 13th, 2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 53322)
Thanks for reading Dac. I think you're right. I'll order a replacement ring this week and we'll see what a new one looks like :thumbsup:

So there's no rubber ring that goes into it? I might need to bend it back into round. I buggered it up a little on the edges :poke:

Hey Fetch, I dig your detailed progress pics if I haven't said that a bunch of times already!

Yeah there should be a rubber lip in that "ring". It is the wheel bearing grease seal. The rubber has gotten pulled out of it somehow and I still suspect that the piece of rubber you pulled out may be part of it.

Looking forward to updates.

DAC

FetchMeAPepsi May 18th, 2014 03:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53327)
Cool. When you start cleaning pop the spindle off the backing plate and clean it. When I get to an I pad I will give you my thoughts. AND give you the proper terms. Elephant thing. I almost choked on my dessert . Barry

:lolsmack: I had to call it something and it just flopped around like an elephant trunk so...I dubbed it the elephant thing! I got the bearings cleaned up to take to a bunch of parts stores today. The rest will probably be tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 53344)
Hey Fetch, I dig your detailed progress pics if I haven't said that a bunch of times already!

Yeah there should be a rubber lip in that "ring". It is the wheel bearing grease seal. The rubber has gotten pulled out of it somehow and I still suspect that the piece of rubber you pulled out may be part of it.

Looking forward to updates.

DAC

I think you're right Dac! It was kinda brittly-rubbery so the shoe fits.

I spent today doing other-car work and looking for Cecilia's parts. Good news is my other cars are loaded for bear. First pic shows The Boy, my tireless helper of the day, after his first oil change in the storm shelter/Oil pit. The Powder Puff stayed inside and painted walls with The Blonde.

Anyway...The bad news is NOBODY carries the bushing or the two little O rings I need. Nobody! I tried:

NAPA
Carquest
Oreilleys
Autozone

The guy at Oreilleys tried for almost an hour to find a part that would fit and still came up empty. He suggested trying online. Bummer.

Here's some part numbers for the more common things. The bearings are very easy to find because they used them for everything back in the 60's.

Grease Seal - National Brand - part number 442380
Inner Bearing by Grease Seal- Timkin Brand - part number LM 603049
Outer Bearing - Timkin Brand - part number LM 501349
Knuckle Bearings - Timkin Brand - part number 11520 (sleeve insert) and 11590 (bearing itself)
Brass Spindle\Axle Bushing - GM Part No. 2402596

Those tiny bearings in the top and bottom are called Knuckle Bearings. I don't have a part number on them yet, but when I do I'll post it.

I'll spend a large portion of the night tonight trying to find the bushing and O rings. Hopefully I can find them and get them installed soon because there's a MINI MEET coming up and the Powder Puff and I really plan to get down there for some burgers and hot dogs (and free advise!).

:woo:

Oh, and the second pic is of the bearings, nuts, and grease seal in the order they all came out for reference.

BarryGMC May 18th, 2014 04:21 AM

You can get any o ring at a hydraulic supply outfit and those bushing at a bearing supply. Store.

BarryGMC May 18th, 2014 05:05 AM

BDI bearing is where I find most of my bearings and seals. Same with o rings. However I get the better viton o rings at a hydraulic supply and rebuilder shop. Here it is american hydraulic and chrome. The auto supply shops are more expensive and often staffed by dingbats. Also check the corn binder site for the bushing part # and knuckle bearing part #. They use the same dana front end except for wheel bolt pattern . I guess I am spoiled. I. Have 3 bearing supply shops within a half mile of each other. Two are on the same block. And one guy has most of the dana 4x4 stuff put to memory.

JPBrecheisen May 20th, 2014 06:02 AM

The knuckle bearings are 11520 and 11590. Any normal auto parts store will be able to order them.

What parts specifically are you looking for?

Can you post a pic or two of the parts you are lacking?

The bronze bushings that go inside the back of the spindle are still out there, you just have too look.

Try searching GM Part No. 2402596 if its a bushing you're needing. That will get you what you're needing.

What O-rings are you looking for specifically?

Jonathon

MrCos May 20th, 2014 11:53 AM

Fetch, this has been a joy to read! Keep up the awesome work! Kudos to barry and the others here with the support! Best of luck on Cecilia!
Cos

FetchMeAPepsi May 20th, 2014 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53413)
BDI bearing is where I find most of my bearings and seals. Same with o rings. However I get the better viton o rings at a hydraulic supply and rebuilder shop. Here it is american hydraulic and chrome. The auto supply shops are more expensive and often staffed by dingbats. Also check the corn binder site for the bushing part # and knuckle bearing part #. They use the same dana front end except for wheel bolt pattern . I guess I am spoiled. I. Have 3 bearing supply shops within a half mile of each other. Two are on the same block. And one guy has most of the dana 4x4 stuff put to memory.

You are lucky! I'll try a few more places online so I can point to it and say "here is the part" for others, but if nothing pans out I'll get to schmoozing my local bearings stores. I would never have thought such a place existed. Who woulda thunk there was such a need for bearings that they make whole places dedicated to it? :jaw-dropping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen (Post 53433)
What O-rings are you looking for specifically?

Jonathon

I attached a pic of the O rings..well, where they go. They're two very tiny o-rings on the outside of the hub where the handle screws back on. I've got two rings on order from a place right now but they might be too thick. If you have a source or part number for them that'd be great!
Thanks for the other P/Ns too! :beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCos (Post 53434)
Fetch, this has been a joy to read! Keep up the awesome work! Kudos to barry and the others here with the support! Best of luck on Cecilia!
Cos

Thanks Cos! Welcome to the board! (saw it was your first post) :D

FetchMeAPepsi May 20th, 2014 07:36 PM

The helpers and I got 'earl back in Cecilia this Saturday after playing in the storm shelter/oil pit. First we worked on The Blonde's car (work first), then we got to Cecilia (play last). That orange canister in the corner is my new parts cleaner (2 gal. diesel). :thumbsup:

The boy got oil all over himself taking the drain plug out of the car and said, "Look Mommy, I'm a MAN!" :rofl:

The hub is stalled for parts so remember

where I drained the oil? Well she's still sittin thirsty so we decided to oil her back up now that the carquest filter came in.

So we grabbed the now-painted filter housing and put the filter in, and the little paper gaskety thing on the outside rim. It'll get pressed into the receiving end when it's tightened up so it's OK that it's floppy here in the pic.

I took that under the truck and stuck it in this hole. Be sure to get it just snug then move it around until you're sure its in the little lip or it'll overhang and oil will SPURT out from your truck....

Like it did on mine...

There's two quarts of my life I'll never get back! :buttkick:

Moving on, I grabbed the plug that included the grey RTV I had put around it earlier.

Mashed it in the hole

And tightened it up with a 1 1/8" socket.

Some excess grey RTV popped out so I just tore it off with my fingers. It didn't leak a drop later so this is A-OK.

Next I went and gathered all my parts for giving Cecilia her drink.

Some Rotella I had lying around

I had to hunt for my funnel. It was in the kids' sandbox. :ahhhh:
I scrubbed it off really good.

And last but not least, an extra pair of hands :woo:

FetchMeAPepsi May 20th, 2014 07:59 PM

***pause***

I forgot to mention that when I change my oil I take some of the old oil and refill the oil-bath breather over the carburetor. If you're following along, don't forget that step!

***play***

With all the parts in place we took off the breather cap

Stuck the funnel in the hole...

and then Powder Puff poured oil all down my arm. :teehee:

Because it takes 6 quarts and one jug is only 4, we emptied the first jug into Cecilia then filled it up to the 2 quart mark from the other jug.

You can see how full it is from this handy window.

We poured that in, then wiped Cecilia's chin. ****BURP!!***

Powder puff put the cap back on while I jumped in to start her up and circulate that new oil.

I had forgotten that I had the hub apart. Guess what I always do when I jump in any vehicle? :jaw-dropping:

Pump the brakes.

Without any drum on them at the moment.

Brake fluid squirted everywhere.

I had a heck of a time getting the spring off the brake shoes off but by prying the spring off I was able to fix it. I reached in and poked the rubber innards back inside the brake cylinder. Then I slipped the piston back in, finally I put the rubber boot back on. Hopefully it'll still work. We'll find out when the hub is fixed.

No pics of all that because I was scrambling like an idiot to get it back together. :( Sorry guys.

I did finally get in and start her up. Purring like a tiger! (pic taken with key in ACC position, so oil light is on - dont freak out!)

With that done I can focus entirely on the hub parts issues. :thumbsup:

FetchMeAPepsi May 21st, 2014 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update!

The largest O ring is amazon ASIN number B0051Y2C8I
You can get it here:

Attached is a pic of the bag (of TEN!) showing mfg part numbers etc.

Code:

144 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round,
Black, 2-1/2" ID, 2-11/16" OD, 3/32" Width (Pack of 10)

The smaller one I'm still working on...

JPBrecheisen May 22nd, 2014 04:24 AM

Fetch,

What kind of locking hubs do you have?

There should be brand name and model number on them somewhere.

There is a lot of NOS (New Old Stock) items available out there. I'd be almost willing to bet you could find a rebuild kit for those (should include O-rings) somewhere.

I have WARN M-8 style hubs. I was able to find what I needed from left over rebuild kits that were out there.

Your hubs look different, but I think they may still make that kind if its the type I think it is.

That would be my advice. Send me the info, I'll poke around a little for you also.

Jonathon

FetchMeAPepsi May 24th, 2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen (Post 53452)
Fetch,

What kind of locking hubs do you have?

There should be brand name and model number on them somewhere.

There is a lot of NOS (New Old Stock) items available out there. I'd be almost willing to bet you could find a rebuild kit for those (should include O-rings) somewhere.

I have WARN M-8 style hubs. I was able to find what I needed from left over rebuild kits that were out there.

Your hubs look different, but I think they may still make that kind if its the type I think it is.

That would be my advice. Send me the info, I'll poke around a little for you also.

Jonathon

Thanks! My hubs are Power Train Tools. They're rebranded Selectros.

I found that last ring too. :woo:This is the smaller one that goes on the OUTER side of the hub. It's this one:

Part number 033-7290

Description:
Code:

033 Viton O-Ring, 90A Durometer, Round, Black, 2" ID, 2-1/8" OD,
1/16" Width (Pack of 10)

I also found a similar looking brass bushing from off of a 60's Willys Jeep but it was about 1/8" too small in diameter. If someone has a Willys I have a free bushing :)

I'm still looking for a reliable replacement for those. :confused:

BarryGMC May 24th, 2014 11:22 PM

I don't have a closed knuckle 44 apart. Just measure the ID and Od of the bushing. I bet I could buy 10 on Tuesday.. Is the inner 1/8 to small on the jeep part. If so I will measure up some jeep stuff. And give you the bushing specs you need. Same if it's the Od. Barry

JPBrecheisen May 26th, 2014 06:20 AM

The bushing for a Willys Jeep will be too small.

Those are model 25/27 and the spindle bushings are too small.

Look for GM part No. 2402596.

You may have to look out for some NOS items. Ebay is a good place to start.

Jonathon