6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Canadian VIN discrepancy (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50849)

Richardfamous May 3rd, 2020 04:09 AM

Canadian VIN discrepancy

3 Attachment(s)
I just acquired a 66 GMC flatdeck. My problem is it came with no TOD and I have no idea what the model is so I can purchase parts off rockauto. I hope someone can help me I attached pics of vin,motor,and truck.
Also needs new carb should I rebuild or purchase from where tho ?

BillT May 3rd, 2020 05:16 AM

Re: Canadian VIN discrepancy

Not too good on Canadian trucks but if it were a US built truck, it would be a 4000 Model.

Tag states your truck came with a 250 6 Cylinder. Looks like someone dropped in a newer 350, but the Numbers and Letters on the Front Pad would tell us for sure.

Richardfamous May 3rd, 2020 07:16 AM

Where could I find these numbers for you ?

BillT May 3rd, 2020 05:17 PM

Look at the bottom of the passenger side head next to the water pump. You will see a pad there that is actually part of the block. It is roughly 1/2 Inch wide by about 3 Inches long. Clean that area off and you will see the numbers/letters there. Although again, if it's Canadian, it may be different but it's worth a try.

AZKen May 5th, 2020 09:41 AM

Richard, as you may know but I will say it anyway. If you want to buy parts for the motor, you must identify it. Then buy parts for that motor. Looks like a Chevy 350 V8. The number BillT mentions is on a pad just below the front of the passenger valve cover, on a stick-out pad. It is a stamped serial number. It could be covered by hoses, wires, the alternator and grease. Clean it off and read it carfully and post it. It is a number with two or three letters after the numbers. Those letters are REAL important. If this is a standard 350 it may have a Rochester carb or possibly another brand. If you know how to rebuild it, you need to identify it by it's numbers or take some good pics with air cleaner off and post them on here. Rebuild kits are plentiful as are rebuilt carbs.

If you need parts for the truck or other drive train, you will need to identify the truck. Year and model, which I believe you have already done. Make sure you read all the info we have on the Jolly pages. Every word. Including the Canadian info. You will then have a good working knowledge to think things out. We are glad to help. We can help you find parts. If you fail to keep this post going fairly regularly we will fade away.

Truck looks good. Does motor start? Does truck move? Does it stop and steer? Don't run it on old tank gas.

Richardfamous May 6th, 2020 10:08 PM

I think it's a c950 that's not a option on rockauto to order parts....
Runs and drives has a 350 motor in it. I want to bring it to glory I just need the model to do so.

AZKen May 6th, 2020 11:08 PM

OK maybe we can approach it in a different way. Give us a detailed list of what parts you need. If any of then are for the motor, give us that number we mentioned.
Guessing the truck is a 5500. Don't I see an emblem on the drivers cowl? Above a marker light? What does it say?

Richardfamous May 7th, 2020 02:09 PM

Gmc 950

AZKen May 7th, 2020 10:01 PM

:thumbsup: