6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   One Ton Suburban (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48275)

GMCDAC November 24th, 2014 11:50 PM

Re: One Ton Suburban

Bumping this to the top, Ed. I hope while you are posting old pics that you may to be able to keep adding to this amazing truck's story!

DAC

Ed Snyder November 25th, 2014 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 55616)
Bumping this to the top, Ed. I hope while you are posting old pics that you may be able to keep adding to this amazing truck's story!

DAC

I'll be sure to do that next week, Doug, when I get back home. I spent the day today driving 700 miles from Oregon to LA in our son's '64 Chevy Suburban. I had it up there to do a little work on it for him. My wife and I are spending Thanksgiving down here with him and our 9 year old granddaughter.

Phat 66 November 26th, 2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 55624)
I'll be sure to do that next week, Doug, when I get back home. I spent the day today driving 700 miles from Oregon to LA in our son's '64 Chevy Suburban. I had it up there to do a little work on it for him. My wife and I are spending Thanksgiving down here with him and our 9 year old granddaughter.

Great Memories

Ed Snyder April 28th, 2016 01:36 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 55616)
Bumping this to the top, Ed. I hope while you are posting old pics that you may to be able to keep adding to this amazing truck's story!

DAC

Well, Doug, I got a surprise in the mail yesterday. Along with a birthday card, my Dad sent a bunch of photos from when the one ton Suburban was new in 1965. The first batch, included in this post, shows the original white wheels with 8.00 x 17.5 tires on them. I had forgotten how far out those hubcaps stuck. They sure look vulnerable to curb rash. Note that one of the photos shows the fresh cut holes for the windows prior to window installation, and the original rear doors removed prior to liftgate/tailgate installation. Dad's in a couple of the photos. He was 40 years old in May of 1965 when he bought it. The conversion from a panel into a Suburban was done in the summer of 1965, right after he bought it.

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it. I'll include more photos in another post.

flyingA66 April 28th, 2016 02:53 AM

Ed, what a cool thread! I think your dad is a genius, that truck, like your dad, is one of a kind.

TJ's GMC April 28th, 2016 03:00 AM

What an Awesome thread Ed! :thumbsup: That is some super Neat family history. Always makes me wish my grandfather owned a 60's GMC or Chevy that I could preserve. But I'm making do with the ones I have. And it was Awesome being able to see this truck in person.

Funky61 April 28th, 2016 03:26 AM

Great historic Photos Ed!
Now what became of those Barn Doors?
I'm betting you still have them stored.

GMCDAC April 28th, 2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 61636)
Well, Doug, I got a surprise in the mail yesterday. Along with a birthday card, my Dad sent a bunch of photos from when the one ton Suburban was new in 1965. The first batch, included in this post, shows the original white wheels with 8.00 x 17.5 tires on them. I had forgotten how far out those hubcaps stuck. They sure look vulnerable to curb rash. Note that one of the photos shows the fresh cut holes for the windows prior to window installation, and the original rear doors removed prior to liftgate/tailgate installation. Dad's in a couple of the photos. He was 40 years old in May of 1965 when he bought it. The conversion from a panel into a Suburban was done in the summer of 1965, right after he bought it.

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge it. I'll include more photos in another post.

Thank-you Ed, for the update, and especially to your Dad for getting the history of his wonderful creation compiled! I've been looking forward to seeing more and my amazement keeps growing! Flyinga66 said it right, your Dad is a genius in the choice of truck, planning and execution of this project that continues to serve your family!

Hope your folks are doing well and you had a happy birthday!

DAC

Ed Snyder April 28th, 2016 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 61640)
Great historic Photos Ed!
Now what became of those Barn Doors?
I'm betting you still have them stored.

Dad sold the barn doors back to the dealer, Henry. What I do have, however, is that single "bucket" seat that you can see in one of the photos. Dad mounted it on casters and put a slip cover on it. Still looks new underneath.

Ed Snyder April 28th, 2016 07:27 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here's another batch of photos. Dad had lots of trouble with the 8.00 x 17.5 tires, especially when towing our 24' Avion travel trailer. So when the 12 x 16.5 tires came out, he had the rear wheel openings enlarged to match the fronts so he could fit a set of them. Nationally famous auto customizer Darryl Starbird got his start with an auto body shop in Wichita. Darryl did the work by cutting the openings and reinforcing the cut edges with steel tubing welded to the sheet metal. The 9.75 x 16.5 wheels have enough offset that the hub caps sit a few inches back in them, fully protecting them from curb rash.

If you've never heard of Darryl Starbird, check out http://www.darrylstarbird.com/index.html. Darryl also did some of the work converting the rear doors to tailgate/liftgate.