6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48479)

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 01:34 PM

1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, Barry suggested that I start a thread for my truck project. I hope I am doing this right, and at the right place. If someone sees that I am screwing up. please let me know.
This truck is a 1960 GMC 1002 Wideside,1/2 ton pickup truck. Purchased new in 1959 by my friend, Mr. Grover Sasaman. He bought it for a delivery truck for his new business, Harley Davidson Sales of Macon Georgia. I have video of him and his son Greg getting on a DC-3 to fly to Pontiac, Michigan to get the truck. He drove straight to Milwaukee Wisconson, picked up a couple of crated bikes and drove south. He told me there was a foot of snow in the bed.
Mr. Grover loves the sound of a Harley-Davidson. In the late 1960's ,he swapped a 396 Chevy and auto trans, into the truck. It does sound like a Harley. I wish I could find a good 305 V-6 to put back in, one day. The auto tranny would have to remain.
I hope you enjoy looking at my ole truck. And feel free to offer insights, ideas, even criticisms if you have them. It all helps further the craft. Thanks, Greg Mead

That's Mr. Grover Sasaman on the left, Harley the Truck in the middle, yours truly on the right. Out in front of Mr. Grovers Harley -Davidson dealership in Macon, Georgia, in 2013.

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 02:21 PM

Re: 1960 Harley-Davidson of Macon Delivery Truck

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my truck in the phone book back in 1963.

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took an old picture that Mr.Grover gave me, and tried to ad color to it. This is the truck, circa 1960. It is by far the earliest picture of the truck, and my personal favorite. How about those Buick hubcaps. He also added a Buick pedestal mount clock to the dash. I removed it because it got in my field of vision a lot. I have the correct factory clock in the cluster now. Tach too.

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gary Sasaman looks on as his dad, Grover Sasaman, autographs my truck glove box. I called Gary and told him to have his dad near the front door when I drove up with the truck. He walked out with the biggest smile you ever saw. He really liked what I had done with the old truck. He and the crew put over a million miles on the truck before I got it. When I rebuilt the speedo, I found a hidden 100,000 miles counter. You had to take it out to even know it is on there. It had yielded to mechanical stresses at 875,000 miles. Mr. Grover said it quit working years ago, and that he figured the truck had at least a million miles on it. I totally believe him after having been thru it. It was worn slam out. But now she is poised to tag on the Next Million Miles in style.

1960HDGMC November 18th, 2014 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went by the old Harley Shop on Second Street in Macon the day I got her back on the road. The cobblestones are covered and the dealership has moved, but I gotta tell ya, the old girl still looks right at home out front of the shop. When I was a kid, I thought that was the prettiest truck I ever saw. I still do. But I never dreamed that one day I would come to own and restore and drive it. Being a farm raised country boy, I have a special place in my heart for all the old trucks we used to see out and about. They are really sharp. Some of them even have a story or two to tell us. This is one of them.

Andice November 18th, 2014 04:40 PM

Love it!

GMCDAC November 19th, 2014 12:38 AM

Wow! This is a beautiful GMC and an amazing story! The historical aspect and personal stories about these trucks are so valuable besides the money, materials and labor it took to make them what they are. You sure can post your before and build pics and story too!

Thanks for posting!---DAC

P.S., My Dad's family were all Georgia folks!

6066gmcguy November 19th, 2014 01:55 AM

Nice Truck and a Great Story about its life, those are the things that make going to Truck Show so much fun, telling folks the story of the truck.

Clarke November 19th, 2014 02:29 AM

Congrats! A beautiful truck and job both.

FetchMeAPepsi November 19th, 2014 02:47 PM

Great looking truck! Got any working pics of her where you were doing the resto?