6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51671)

OlsonsGaskets November 13th, 2023 07:35 PM

Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines

I'm looking for a source for the Rear Main Bearing Cap for the V6 305 engine. Does anyone know where I can get one?

George Bongert November 14th, 2023 03:50 PM

Re: Rear Main Bearing Cap for V6 engines

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlsonsGaskets (Post 77683)
I'm looking for a source for the Rear Main Bearing Cap for the V6 305 engine. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Main bearing caps for these engines are not available replacement parts. The only way you could obtain one is to find someone with a V-6 block that is no longer salvageable. And then, after you find your rear main bearing cap, you would have to have your block line bored to match the main cap to your block. Bearing caps are not interchangeable from block to block, due to variables in the original casting and machining processes.

James November 14th, 2023 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlsonsGaskets (Post 77683)

Are you with Olsons Gasket Company? If you are and expanding the gaskets line, you might be able to borrow one from someone in the club near by.

OlsonsGaskets November 14th, 2023 05:25 PM

George and James,
Thank you for your responses. Yes I am from the Olson's Gaskets company. I am trying to reproduce rubber rear main seals for this family of engines. In order to do so I actually need 2 rear main bearing caps to move ahead with this project, of which I am happy to purchase. One of these rear main caps will be destroyed (cut in two pieces) by my manufacturer in the process of reverse engineering this seal. The other cap will serve a an unmolested sample.
I am nervous to borrow a cap from someone who needs it in case something gets misplaced in the process.
Finding these in junk blocks would be ideal so that they are not coming from someone who needs it to make a functioning engine.
I am not limited to caps from 305 engines of course they are just the most common, but 351, 379, 401, 432, or 478ci rear main caps would work as well. A V8 637ci rear main cap could also be used.
I think getting a rubber rear main seal reproduced would rear help out folks rebuilding these engines.
Richard

ilvracn November 14th, 2023 05:30 PM

Thank you for your efforts in reproducing the rear main seal

FetchMeAPepsi November 14th, 2023 05:40 PM

Too bad you're in frikkin Washington. I could help with one entire engine and you could reproduce all the seals. People love kits that have every seal you need. It makes for less hunting and more wrenching.

Prowbar November 17th, 2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlsonsGaskets (Post 77687)
George and James,
Thank you for your responses. Yes I am from the Olson's Gaskets company. I am trying to reproduce rubber rear main seals for this family of engines. In order to do so I actually need 2 rear main bearing caps to move ahead with this project, of which I am happy to purchase. One of these rear main caps will be destroyed (cut in two pieces) by my manufacturer in the process of reverse engineering this seal. The other cap will serve a an unmolested sample.
I am nervous to borrow a cap from someone who needs it in case something gets misplaced in the process.
Finding these in junk blocks would be ideal so that they are not coming from someone who needs it to make a functioning engine.
I am not limited to caps from 305 engines of course they are just the most common, but 351, 379, 401, 432, or 478ci rear main caps would work as well. A V8 637ci rear main cap could also be used.
I think getting a rubber rear main seal reproduced would rear help out folks rebuilding these engines.
Richard

That would be great! I wonder why the manufacturer has to cut one into 2 pieces? That poses the biggest problem it seems. Unless someone has a junk block of course.