6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50669)

GMCTom October 8th, 2020 08:09 AM

Re: 1965 GMC in the alps. Greetings from Austria.

The big part of the engine is back in the truck ;)

Mounting the timing chain cover and a new timing chain

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Putting the cleaned oil pan back on the engine

Engine is ready for transport :)

And back in the frame. Exactly one year after pulling it out :D

Used some new motor mounts from Rockauto. They fit perfect.

The heads get

The cylinder heads are currently being redesigned. We have reground the valves and the valve seats are milled. An exhaust valve was burned. I bought also a new one from Rockauto but the slot on the end of the valve was on the wrong position. We also ground a new slot in.

The last days I cleaned up the flywheel. After reading some threads in the forum it seems to be a desaster with the clutch :ahhhh:
Luckily I have the same flywheel as Pepsi in his truck.

I've ordered the AMS 04528 clutch on Rockauto. Tomorrow I will receive it. After reading in my book there are four different type of clutches. I think I have the Borg Style. But I'm not sure because the spring is diaphragm style.
I really hope it will fit.

Funky61 October 8th, 2020 07:50 PM

Great Progress GMCTOM! Thanks for posting the photos. What brand/Model of engine stand are you using?

GMCTom October 8th, 2020 08:09 PM

Thank you Funky
I bought the engine stand in a german webshop:

Its also available from KS Tools but it costs more than twice.

GMCTom January 13th, 2021 09:18 AM

A Healthy Happy New Year to everybody!

Little update. Unfortunately, there is not much going on at the moment. It's very cold here :winter:

Mounted the transmission on the bellhousing and the new driveshaft. The old one was no longer usable. Cylinder heads and other parts are also back on the block. Here are some pictures.

I also added a fuel pressure gauge. I'm not happy with the airfilter. I think I will change it with a black one. This was the first thing I bought when I bought the truck :D

At the moment I'm trying with the new exhaust pipes. I will add a steel exhaust with 2 1/4" diameter and Flowmonster mufflers. They are the same like the Flowmaster 40.

I can't wait to start the engine :rowdybeer:

I ordered a new waterneck (75 Pontiac TransAm) because the old one was a modified from a Chevy small block. Let's see if it fits.

GMCTom January 13th, 2021 09:35 AM

I forgot the information about the clutch.

Unfortunately the Rhino clutch did not fit :banghead:

I did it like MilitaryChevy (thank you) and milled something away from the hub.

FetchMeAPepsi January 13th, 2021 02:08 PM

Is that the three finger rhino pak clutch or a different one? What did you mill down?

GMCTom January 13th, 2021 03:39 PM

Yes Pepsi, this is the three finger clutch. I think you used the same?

I milled down the hub on the flywheel side (red mark on the photo). I think I milled down 8mm. The hub sticks out on the wrong side so it would rub against the flywheel. The original clutch is flat on the flywheel side.

Here the flat side of the original clutch

FetchMeAPepsi January 13th, 2021 04:21 PM

Yes, I used the same one. I don't notice any rubbing though. It all bolted up just fine. Now I'm wondering if i'm rubbing my flywheel in there....

GMCTom January 13th, 2021 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 73634)
Yes, I used the same one. I don't notice any rubbing though. It all bolted up just fine. Now I'm wondering if i'm rubbing my flywheel in there....

Hmm... I think you would hear that. I suspect that the hubs are never assembled in the same order/direction during the production of the clutch. Possibly yours was pressed in the other way around. TJ had the same problems with his Rhino.

GMCTom March 1st, 2021 10:43 AM

Hey guys. The day of the day was at the weekend :bump5:

We started the engine. I was a little nervous but it runs great. The sound is awesome. I installed FlowMonster Mufflers (the same as the FlowMaster 40).

Unfortunately, I only have poor video quality. I will post another video from the next run.

GMCTom March 1st, 2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTom (Post 73638)
I ordered a new waterneck (75 Pontiac TransAm) because the old one was a modified from a Chevy small block. Let's see if it fits.

The waterneck of the 75 Pontiac TransAm fits together with the holes. Only problem is, that you can't use the heat sensor.

Prowbar March 1st, 2021 01:15 PM

GMCTom, Great work you've done so far! Great info as well regarding the clutch etc. No other modifications to the engine other than replacing the timing chain?

GMCTom March 1st, 2021 02:23 PM

Thank you :)
I changed the timing chain and toghether with a friend we do a valve job. One exhaust valve was broken and doesn't close completely. Cleaned the coolant holes and finished the surfaces of the block and heads and used new gaskets. Heads were ice blasted.
I also installed an original mechanical fuel pump (the pre owner used an electrical) and new fuel lines.

snazzypig March 6th, 2021 04:04 AM

Beautiful work GMCTom and your engine sounds great!

GMCTom March 25th, 2021 09:10 AM

Little update but with not so good news.

The original radiator is leaking. Temporarily I bought a used one from a 1966 Chevy C10. It seems to be ok. The dark spot on the front of the radiator is only dirt. The original one I will send to a shop for repairing.

Now the bigger problem. Between the left cylinder head and the block it's leaking a little bit coolant. I think I have to grind the heads. Maybe anyone else had an advice or already had the problem itself?

GMCTom July 27th, 2021 08:47 AM

Hope everybody is fine :)

Now some time has passed and I still spent time on my other project a Dodge WC51. But work on the GMC continues anyway.

All Body parts are blasted and primed. Some parts are also body filled and sanded. I do it all myself. Sanding for hours is a bit like meditation :D

Two parts are completely finished with paint. I do this with a friend in his wood workshop. I like painting with the gun. When the parts are painted, the project feels almost finished and you know what all the hard work is for. I didn't like the first attempt with the baby blue but the second one is perfect. It's harbor blue from Ford :oops:

I also chrome plated the painted grille.

Next step is to prime the cab. Maybe I'll be able to put the cab on the frame this summer.

tbucketnut March 27th, 2022 04:57 AM

Very nice Tom, it is time for an update friend. I know you have been working hard on this truck lately. You need to show off your very good work. All I can say is wow!

Prowbar March 27th, 2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbucketnut (Post 75511)
Very nice Tom, it is time for an update friend. I know you have been working hard on this truck lately. You need to show off your very good work. All I can say is wow!

I agree! we can surely use an update!

GMCTom March 28th, 2022 04:26 PM

OK, update time :D
It's been a little bit stressful lately but i've been working on the GMC every free minute. I'm a bit behind my plans but in April, at the latest in May I want to put the cab on the frame.

Let's start with the paint. Tailgate, fenders and the frontmask were painted in Ford Harbor Blue. First try wasn't successful (orange skin) but the second one is OK. I will polish all parts after mounting.

Testing the chrome plated frontmask with the color

I like the blue color to the red engine :)

Started with the cab in August. First some epoxy primer. 2 layers. Then some filler work on the roof, rockers and the back. Steve thinks the cab is in good condition. He knows worse ones. Put some underbody protection on the cab. Only in a few places.

After that I started with the third layer EP. Then sanding the roof. Ready for paint (Ford Wimbledon White).

Painting the underbody blue. And here one question, Steve and I are still guessing: is this a low or a high hump? The truck has three on a tree, but we welded the hump in that was laying in the cab :D

And finally get back the GMC logo newly chromed

Next steps: sanding inside the cab. Paint it with Nissan beige met (EV0) and after that paint the rest of the cab blue.

FetchMeAPepsi March 28th, 2022 05:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that's a high hump. Someone will beat me with a stick if i'm wrong, but the low hump barely has any hump to it if I remember right.
Nice update! That color looks shaaarrrppp!

GMCTom January 25th, 2023 10:00 AM

Time for a big update. A lot has happened over the summer :D

Painted the cab inside in Nissan Beige (EV0). Everyone who sees the color is amazed. After that the rest of the outside was painted blue.
Mounted the cab on the frame. What a great day! :upyes:

Put in the steering column and the pedals. Also installed the wiper mechanism. Steering wheel for some photos with the new chromed horn button.
Next step was the wiring. I rewired the whole harness according to the original wiring diagram. I also used new "original" connectors. Parking lights are now in the head lights in white. It is not allowed that parking lights are orange in Germany and Austria.

Put on the front mask for first test. Installed the carpet (with mass packing and for high hump) in black. Installed the back window with a new seal.

Also the brakelines are nearly finished with a dual master cylinder. Between the work on the truck I cleaned the original seat with some leather products. Looks like nearly new.

Tested the front lights. Everything works fine.

In the fall I grinded the doors and the hood. Ready for painting. Doors turned out great. The hood we have to repaint in spring.

At the moment I'm working on the rest of the wiring and the back fenders. Some body work. Painting them in spring when it's warm again. Bed wood is planned to work on in the next weeks (cut and plane). Ordered some oak wood.

Looks like the project will be finished in spring/summer after 5 years. Get her back on the road.

jmfurgason January 25th, 2023 04:17 PM

Great job, your 65 looks fantastic !:goodjob:

tbucketnut January 27th, 2023 03:29 PM

Such great work Tom. It is obvious you are loving every minute of bringing this GMC back to life.
Sent you a message in phone app.

GMCTom January 28th, 2023 07:27 AM

Thank you everybody :)