6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Brake lines and stuff (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51124)

jastamjas April 30th, 2021 03:45 PM

Brake lines and stuff

So I plan on replacing all of my brake lines but I have a 65 4WD and all I find is kits for a 2wd. Would I be wrong for thinking the 2wd will work. Problem part 2... I would like to do a disc brake conversion in the front as well but all I can find is kits and write ups for a 2wd. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

AZKen April 30th, 2021 11:08 PM

Re: Brake lines and stuff

No known "kits" for disc. Probably can be done with fabbing or axle swap.

Brake line "kits" for 2wd will be close. May have to change bends here and there or add a pre flared piece. On my 1960 4x4 and all other rebuild projects, I use pre flared line sections from O'Reilly's.

Brake line kits come bent to fit the shipping box and must be "unbent" somewhat to use.
I used an aftermarket flex line for clutch slave connection.
Front and rear rubber hoses are available.
Don't discard ANY fittings/clamps/clips when removing old lines.

Of course, as you know, you can buy tubing and fittings and flare all your own lines. Too many leaks when I tried that and you don't find them until it's all together.

jastamjas May 18th, 2021 02:32 AM

Thanks for the help. I will just buy the 2WD stuff then make it work the best I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sclor May 18th, 2021 02:58 PM

Jast:
I bought the kit from inline tube for my GMC short wheel base 2wd. The lines they sent me weren't even close. I would suggest getting lines from O'Reilly and bend them yourself. I don't think you will find pre bent kit that works.
Regards
Steve

James May 18th, 2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclor (Post 74123)
Jast:
I bought the kit from inline tube for my GMC short wheel base 2wd. The lines they sent me weren't even close. I would suggest getting lines from O'Reilly and bend them yourself. I don't think you will find pre bent kit that works.
Regards
Steve

Same here. I made my lines for my fleetside. The one from inline tube was junk.

ilvracn May 19th, 2021 02:39 PM

much cheaper if you buy bulk line and flare your own ends. use the copper nickel brake line, easy to bend and work with, doesn't rust.
Rick

BobShing May 23rd, 2021 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to buy bulk line and fab my own as well. Double flares have always been a pain, usually dependent on a quality tool. Preparing for my current project, I decided to look for a replacement for my snap on flare tool. This is what I found, a real solution! This kit only does 3/16" & 1/4 " but makes perfect double flares every time. (16 made with no fails on the GMC pickup project).
Now the bad news, just checked my source, Amazon and found they are out of stock... anyway this could be a problem solver for anyone fabricating their own brake lines.
Bob

jastamjas June 1st, 2021 12:17 AM

I already ordered the kit from LMC. I haven’t opened it yet but I will let you know if it’s a turd or good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk