6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47445)

GMC-HDV6 March 19th, 2013 07:38 PM

Re: 305D V6 rebuild parts ? buyable ? ? Custom made ? ? ?

I emailed them almost a week ago about a REO 331 rebuild kit out of curiosity.
Haven't heard a thing back from them yet.

Mike

FetchMeAPepsi March 19th, 2013 07:50 PM

My reply was next day so I'd call them or send it again. They seemed really nice and helpful.

GMC-HDV6 March 19th, 2013 10:03 PM

I resent my email, it was last Thursday I sent it off. So its been 5 days anyway so I will see if I get a reply from them this time.

You'd think if they had nothing they would tell a guy ? !
Mike

Corts60 March 20th, 2013 01:12 AM

I'll bet Kanter is probably more keen to talk on the phone than answer emails.

IndianJoe March 26th, 2013 10:48 PM

Just spoke to Kanter yesterday. I want to rebuild the 305E in my truck. The salesman was excellant, but informed me that thay did not have any pistons and didn't know when they would get any in.

I realy concerned now. I have a knock in the lower end of my engine and want to tear it down to investigate. If I need pistons, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Any one have any ideas?

Joe

Andice March 27th, 2013 01:20 AM

Have you contacted EGGE? They seem to have quite a bit of piston variety and can possibly MAKE pistons for you. I was lucky, I found a '66 GMC 305E that had been run on propane since the day it was purchased. Clean inside and performs like new. Just need to get the truck away from the painter!

bigblockv6 March 27th, 2013 02:29 AM

Joe, you may want to try some of the forklift engine rebuilders for pistons, most likely they would want your engine for the rebuild. Try "All Forklift Parts" (909-356-1771) for a Hyster 305 V6. Another would be "Budget's Forklift Engines" (800-821-3796). The Hyster application is basically a 305C V6, 4 rings per piston and don't worry about the extra ring because even GMC superceeded the 3 ring application in the early 70's for standardization purposes in 305E replacement pistons.

raycow March 27th, 2013 06:07 PM

For pistons you might want to take a look here:
http://webpages.charter.net/beckracing/slvpg55.htm

I have used this brand (Silvolite) before with complete satisfaction, but it wasn't in a V-6.

Ray

GVDobler April 12th, 2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC-HDV6 (Post 48200)
A parts engine ? ! Like a piston from this one and rod from that one ? ! I don't much like the sounds of that idea myself really.

Something about rebuilding an engine with used parts seems a bit counter productive.
Mike

There is a book about doing that with small block chevy engines. If I can find it I fill send you the title.

He describes rebuilding small blocks just as you describe. He makes a pretty good case and describes what he looks for and what he tosses out. Now there are piles of small block parts out there to go through, unlike our V6. I would rather have all new stuff too, but I don't think anyone is going to repop any of it. All the parts numbers of parts that were being made a few years ago have just evaporated.

BarryGMC April 12th, 2013 05:34 AM

Is anyone running a Duramax? Or a 6.5 chevy diesel. Each piston is fit to the cylinder individually. There is quite a range of sizes. The bottom of the block is stamped A,B,C at each journal for the piston size. Also ford and GM put individual oversized pistons and undersized bearings in new engines. Chrysler probably did to but I have not seen it. Personally I save all unusual oversize piston I find. Remember Its all about the clearances.