6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51066)

Prowbar February 3rd, 2021 11:37 AM

'65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

A while back I bought a '65 GMC 1500. It is a California made truck that I bought here in the Netherlands. It has the 305E V6 and the SM420 transmission.

I've been looking for a 60-66 Chevrolet for a while, with either a straight 6 or a V8. When I stumbled upon this GMC I figured they swapped the engine, because I've never heard of a V6? After doing some research I discovered these interesting line of engines and decided to take a look.

The V6 runs great, the rust on the truck minimal compared to others that you see. The main point is the bed, it is in rough shape. The bed wood is gone, along with the bed strips. There are tons on bondo on the bedsides, to cover up dents and damage. The fact that the bed is sitting on wooden planks tells the story. There is a generic bed liner sitting in the bed, but there is nothing underneath. The cross beams are luckily still included, they are laying in the bed.

The brakes are non functioning, most of the rubbers are gone. A lot needs attention. I believe the original color to be red. A blue was on top of the red, and they later painted it black. The title that I have mentions the color blue.

Due to space restrictions I decided to park the truck in storage until I start working on the truck itself. We've taken off the bed from the truck to start the fabrication work required to bring it back in better shape.

I'm not planning it to be a show truck. I'll see what I'm going to do about the paint.

The main points are:
-Getting the bed back into shape so that it can be mounted back in the truck.
-Brake work, keeping the drums but upgrading to a dual master cylinder from a '67.
-Checking the engine, possible carburetor rebuild. Converting it to LP fuel. Ignition upgrades.
-Electrical, such as wiring to the lights, dash gauges.
-Changing the sealed beam lights to light that accept H4 lights as sealed beam lights are not allowed here.
-General maintenance.
-Possible repaint in the original color.
-Required welding work.
-Rustproofing

I've bought the X-6523 GMC truck maintenance manuals from Rockauto.com, they sell reprints for a fair price.

This is my first project and I'm learning as I go. I'll be sure to post the progress.

Thanks for looking! David

Prowbar February 3rd, 2021 11:45 AM

Re: '65 GMC 1500 project. From the Netherlands

3 Attachment(s)
Some additional pictures.

Prowbar February 3rd, 2021 11:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the bed removal and the subsequent rust repairs.
There are a couple of rust spots, all in the bed side behind the support beam, these get full of wet dirt and eat the metal away. I'll probably modify the support beams to let the water/dirt escape instead of trapping it there.

GMCTom March 1st, 2021 10:30 AM

Hi David.
Welcome to the forum. At the moment I'm also restoring a 1500. I also thought about swapping the V6 at first, but after doing some research I decided to keep it. Not everyone here in Europe has it.
Have fun with your GMC and stay motivated :-)
Tom

Prowbar March 1st, 2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCTom (Post 73828)
Hi David.
Welcome to the forum. At the moment I'm also restoring a 1500. I also thought about swapping the V6 at first, but after doing some research I decided to keep it. Not everyone here in Europe has it.
Have fun with your GMC and stay motivated :-)
Tom

Thanks Tom, you have an impressive build going on. Mine won't be a frame off restoration, just fixing what needs to happen. Are you going to run it on gasoline? Gasoline isn't cheap here, thats why I'm converting to LPG. (Liquid Propane Gas)

GMCTom March 1st, 2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowbar (Post 73832)
Thanks Tom, you have an impressive build going on. Mine won't be a frame off restoration, just fixing what needs to happen. Are you going to run it on gasoline? Gasoline isn't cheap here, thats why I'm converting to LPG. (Liquid Propane Gas)

Yes, my plan is to run it with gasoline. In Austria it's also expensive but not so expensive like in the netherlands. I think nearly 1,30€/liter (normaly I'm a Diesel driver) but I think I will not drive more than 2.000km/year with my GMC.

Prowbar March 24th, 2021 05:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quick update. Still busy with the bed rust repairs. I've welded a new section underneath the front panel. The welding work on the bedsides is mostly done, except for the angled sections with the square holes for the bedwood. These still need to be welded in.

I'm also working on the bed crossmembers, de-rusting them to prep for paint. The small cross strip that is mounted just before the rear axle has some deep pits and rust holes, new sections will be welded in. the rest has pitting also, but is still usable.

I'm going to buy a stud welder to help with the dent repairs. I've ordered bed strips and bed bolts. I'm looking around for pine wood the bedwood.

While keeping an eye on the local marketplaces I've scored some parts: cab rubbers from polyurethane (for a C10 so the rear mounts won't fit however), patch panels for the front fenders are new brake shoes for the front brakes.

A local shop that specializes in american cars had a Felpro gasket set for a 305 V6 for sale, how cool is that? Paid 50 euros for it, great price.

Prowbar March 24th, 2021 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics

Prowbar March 24th, 2021 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pitting in the small crossmember + electrolysis to loosen the stubborn rust scale. Then a wire wheel on an angle grinder. After some rust converter primer they are ready for paint.

Prowbar March 30th, 2021 09:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, sometimes things do not go as expected. A fire ravaged the place where I worked on the bed parts and had stored them. Luckily the pickup (without bed) is stored elsewhere, so I'm lucky I still have it.

Its not my house, but that of my grandparents. Glad they are OK themselves. That is the most important. Sheet metal can be welded onto or replaced.

The bedsides were not great but I'm guessing they are scrap now. It seems the tailgate and front panel and still salvagable. The fenders too, but you can't see 'em on the pictures but they were there also (resting against the post with the vise). 2 of the crossmembers were also in the fire, one looks usable but the small one is all twisted up. In the pictures one can also see a couple of Opel 6 cilinder CIH engines. Also a couple of VW 1.6 diesels. All burned up too.

Some pictures: