6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Keep Points/Condenser or go Pertonix Ignition n (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51155)

lizziemeister'sV6 June 29th, 2021 04:26 PM

Keep Points/Condenser or go Pertonix Ignition n

Want to do something different with my 1965 Suburban 351 Magnum - engine has the 500 cfm Holley, 2 1/4" dual exhaust with H pipe and Magna-Flows - custom ground camshaft with 379 pistons and custom length billet rods for the different piston pin height. Still has the original type points and condenser ignition - runs good with that set -up but kicking around the idea of going Pertonix Ignitor II and 45,000 coil. Asking for everyone's opinion - is this ignition as reliable as the original as far as dependability? I always carry an extra set of points and condenser now - would I need to carry a extra Ignitor module ? Would have close to $280.00 in the Ignitor II kit with added spare module - I can buy a lot of points and condensers for that amount - don't mind adjusting my points now. Looking for the benefits vs the cost factor between the change. Thank You for Your responses. :thumbsup:

AZKen June 29th, 2021 10:23 PM

Re: Keep Points/Condenser or go Pertonix Ignition n

The Pertronix is a HEI style unit. It is designed for those who want their Dizzy to look original. But from what you have done, that's not you.

It will ALWAYS be better to go with GM products. I.E. AC DELCO, etc. So if you want HEI, do the mod described within 6066GMCCLUB.
Contact member Rod Johnson, he makes the parts and will instruct. WE7X@AOL.com

See our TIP section: http://6066gmcguy.com/hei.html Pete Chronis has done this as you will see.

PS, nothing wrong with points ignition. However, point-less should last longer. It is a better idea and possible performance upgrade.

Modification baseline:
New/reman Delco HEI Distributor $108. 1979 Buick 231 Cu in. Unless there is something about a Magnum that prevents this. Jolly says the 351 Magnum was introduced in 1966.

tbucketnut July 16th, 2021 03:54 AM

Not a fan of pertronix. Left me and the family high and dry on a Sunday, 150 miles from home. Luckily I found and old general store out in the country that had a set of points and a condensor and I made a wire inside the distributor and got us home. That was 1992 and I have never been back for round two with pertronix. BTW it was the Hall unit to blame.

TJ's GMC July 18th, 2021 07:43 AM

I've been running the pertronix system for 10 years now. Bought it for a 292 and when I took my 66 c10 apart to restore I swapped it into my 64's v6 and have been running it since. Granted I don't put tons of miles on the truck every year....but it hasn't left me stranded once and I've gone WAY into the mountains with the truck many times. I always keep a set of points and condenser just in case though. I've been lucky with mine.

jbgroby July 18th, 2021 10:20 AM

I installed my petronix kit back in 2008, never had an issue. I too have the Buick distributor, I've never installed it.

tbucketnut July 19th, 2021 01:04 PM

Great for you all with good luck. For me once bitten, twice shy.

lizziemeister'sV6 July 19th, 2021 02:04 PM

As a retired Industrial Electrician doing motor control with mechanical relays / switches being able to see function was a great asset - when the "magic black boxes" with wires came to age - such as the "hall effect" operation of the Pertonix Ignition you can't see "failure" - you just "assume" and throw/replace /replace and hope. I too - will keep my outdated point set-up - at least you can troubleshoot.:thumbsup:

LEWISMATKIN July 20th, 2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 (Post 74364)
As a retired Industrial Electrician doing motor control with mechanical relays / switches being able to see function was a great asset - when the "magic black boxes" with wires came to age - such as the "hall effect" operation of the Pertonix Ignition you can't see "failure" - you just "assume" and throw/replace /replace and hope. I too - will keep my outdated point set-up - at least you can troubleshoot.:thumbsup:

I remember the early years of GM hei, and how much i was frustrated when i ran all the ohm test that the training i recieved said to do, and no spark what ever i did. finally, i pulled the distributor and found a partial broken wire on the pole piece--had just enough strands to start the engine, but when the advance started moving, power was lost and the engine stopped. that is when i swore off electronic ignition for ever!!!!!! i can make an engine run with points/condensor and get home with it!!!!!!!

BillT July 25th, 2021 03:29 AM

Points fan here. Have been running Points and Condensor now for 53 years straight in many different vehicles I've owned. Always keep a spare set in the glove box though.