6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What axles do I have (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48529)

jagarra December 10th, 2014 03:52 AM

What axles do I have

I was looking on line on the Napa site checking out parts for my 62 GMC wide side. Since both the brake and clutch pedal are stuck to the floor I figure I need some hydraulic work. Napa was showing new wheel cylinders for the rear, but they had 2 styles, for a H033, H035 axle and for not have that option. So what was stock in 62, how do I determine what I have?

thanks,

lizziemeister'sV6 December 10th, 2014 12:07 PM

Re: What axles do I have

Could be you are looking at the LEFT & RIGHT Part #'s ? - each SIDE is different as well as the FRONT is different than the REARS. Do you make a repair manual specific to your truck? Best money ever spent!!!

lizziemeister'sV6 December 10th, 2014 12:11 PM

Sorry - I wanted to ask if you HAD a repair manual for your truck, I wrote "make" - sometimes I type different words than I think - old age? :goodluck:

jagarra December 10th, 2014 01:36 PM

Yes I have a repair manual for 1962 trucks. Problem is that is covers a lot of different models. I did find a reference to this part number, but it seemed it was associated with a 4 wheel drive front set. Napa has both left and right listed, 2 different sets with this note as to the axle. Maybe it is for a free floating vs a standard. Don't know, no pictures that I could find in book.

Price for new wheel cylinders was less than $10.00 each for the rears, better than rebuilding them.

David R Leifheit December 10th, 2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagarra (Post 55884)
Yes I have a repair manual for 1962 trucks. Problem is that is covers a lot of different models. I did find a reference to this part number, but it seemed it was associated with a 4 wheel drive front set. Napa has both left and right listed, 2 different sets with this note as to the axle. Maybe it is for a free floating vs a standard. Don't know, no pictures that I could find in book.

Price for new wheel cylinders was less than $10.00 each for the rears, better than rebuilding them.

The best way to make sure you get the correct ones is to remove them and take them into the auto parts store. The books are not always correct for our trucks, they list Chevrolet parts which do not always interchange. They can look up the number on the actual part and cross reference it to their books (computer these days.. bah!)

As mentioned by another, the rears are often a right and left (last time I had to do this the book listed the same part -Chevrolet- for both sides and did not list a right and left for GMC) and are different than the front. It may not seem like a big difference, between a right/left and both the same but it will be noticeable when you try to connect the metal brake line... and it doesn't line up at all on the "wrong" one.

jagarra December 10th, 2014 11:11 PM

Yes, taking the old part in is always a good if you can. I did find out a bit more, seems the H033\H035 refers to the Eaton rear end and the other was for a Spicer. Still, if they are bad, which I don't know yet, I will be replacing them.

When I checked the master cylinder, both sides were empty. When I checked the storage box inside the bed, there were 2 large bottles of brake fluid in there. I think this truck has an issue of a leak somewhere in the system.