6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1960 gmc trcuck (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51203)

elirookiegmc September 2nd, 2021 05:11 AM

1960 gmc trcuck

Thank you all in advance for any information regarding the following question.

I just bought a 1960 GMC truck, was told from previous owner he had been having problems with shifting gears. When I picked it up I was able to shift Reverse and First gear, but was not able to shift to 2nd and 3rd. So I looked at shifting rods and notice that a part which connects from transmission to bushings on side of frame. My questions is, does anyone know the name of this part and where I could find it. Again thank you for any information.

AZKen September 2nd, 2021 07:54 AM

Re: 1960 gmc trcuck

1 Attachment(s)
You are going to have to be more specific and give much detail when you ask questions on forums.
So here are some questions and info for you.

1. Do you have a 4 speed with granny low? floor shift?
2. Do you have a 3 speed on the column? (that seems like what you may have). SM318
3. Do you have some other transmission?

The SM318 transmission is mounted onto the bell housing and has support on the tail housing. Which I believe lands on a crossmember. This may be what you are asking for if you are talking about the tail mount. Not really called a bushing. If not, let us know. The words that throw me are: "bushing" on "side of frame"????????

SM318

FetchMeAPepsi September 2nd, 2021 02:11 PM

Ken's right. I don't have any bushing connection on my rods and I've got the Sm318 "three on the tree". You should probably post some pictures and describe which tranny you got. Parts can be hard to come by, but if it's just a bolt or something you can find them off the shelf pretty easy.

Jim A September 2nd, 2021 04:47 PM

Lucky you with a new '60 Jimmy. We will want more info about it.
If you have visible shift linkage then you don't have a 4 speed.
That linkage system gives trouble as it wears and happens on many different makes (Ford and Chrysler, e.g.).
Take a close look for play in the various connections. They can be tightened up with home made or OEM bushings.
Good luck.

Funky61 September 5th, 2021 02:02 AM

Would love to see photos of your 60 GMC

jagarra September 5th, 2021 07:09 PM

It sounds like you have a 3 speed on the column and you are out of adjustment. If your bushings are worn and too sloppy then you with have issues shifting. Here is a source for bushings. https://www.mcmaster.com/bushings/

I would start with the column in the neutral position, disconnect the rods at the transmission and place each selector on trans in neutral ( that is the center of its three positions), the rods should slip into the levers without any movement, there should be an adjustment to move the end of the rod to do so.
the positions of the levers are 1st, neutral reverse and on the other one it is 2, neutral and 3rd. I would replace the worn bushings before I started to check for the linkage being too sloppy. From what you are saying your issue going into second is the rod controlling 1, Reverse is not moving into the neutral position in time to allow the gears to go into 2nd, it's all based on timing. One set has to get to the neutral position before the other set can move all the way into the gear.

elirookiegmc September 7th, 2021 04:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen,
Sorry for the late response, yes indeed I read my original post and did not explained the issue well enough. It was a late post while getting ready to go out of town. So lets try it again, It is a 1960 GMCwith a 305V6 and three on the column. The issue that I am having is, a broken piece with the shifting assembly. One of the pictures will show you the Linkage rods, one of the rods goes directly to the transmission, I believe that to be 1st and Reverse. It is the second rod, which by elimination would be 2nd and 3rd, does not go to transmission but to a bushing or grommet depending where you are from. This is the part that I need to replace as well as the bottom arm which is broken. So my question is, how do I remove said part and does anyone know where I can find it. I have looked for almost two weeks and no one seems to know where it can be bought. I hope this post will be a bit clearer and thank you all in advance for any information you can provide.

elirookiegmc September 7th, 2021 04:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
By the way here are some photos of the 60 GMC, the engine runs great. I am told the miles on it are the original miles 70,386. there is absolutely no rust anywhere and no dents, really looking forward to getting it going and before it goes in the shop for cosmetic work, taking a drive with my Dad up and down the coast.

FetchMeAPepsi September 7th, 2021 05:02 AM

So that first pic with the rods going to the transmission? Yeah, that second rod is supposed to go to that area too! It looks like someone took the transmission out and put it back in on top of the shifting linkage. If that's right you need to find another transmission (sm318) and either swap the whole transmission out or the part where the linkage connects. Very weird that they just left it there smashed under whatever wood piece that is.
In my thread I show a lot of transmission pics. You can see how it's supposed to look starting about midway down this page here:
https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47321&page=15

Those transmissions come up for sale pretty often on craigslist etc. Just pick one up and you'll be set.

Jim A September 7th, 2021 04:57 PM

Depending on when the part was broken, it could be the reason for this beautiful truck's low mileage!
I hope replacement of the whole tranny is not really necessary.