6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   64 GMC V6 dragged out of a field. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48209)

nathankershaw May 24th, 2014 06:34 PM

64 GMC V6 dragged out of a field.

My friend called me the other day to tell me about this truck.
It had been behind a house since 1993.

When she got pulled out after some cleaning.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

On her way home.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Wife & dog approve :)

I still need a passenger glass!

Started turning the motor over by hand after putting ATF & Seafoam down the cylinders and it got stuck on something. After taking a few things off I think carbon probably stuck the valves open.

nathankershaw May 24th, 2014 06:35 PM

Re: 64 GMC V6 dragged out of a field.

I don't have any attachment to the V6 so if anyone needs any parts let me know.

I'll be swapping in a 350 V8 and probably a 700R4.

jbgroby May 24th, 2014 08:30 PM

Is the water inlet still available?

Jake Groby

nathankershaw May 24th, 2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 53469)
Is the water inlet still available?

Jake Groby

Can you post up a pic of the part you mean?
I'm not to familiar with these engines.

nathankershaw May 24th, 2014 10:42 PM

Thank you for all the positive comments and the camper pic as well!

Cleaned up a couple of pistons to see if there was on overbore number stamped and I can't see anything.

So I assume it's a good candidate for a re-build.
I'm going to go the V8 route with a 350.
So this motor and tranny will be for sale.

I drained all the fluids. The engine oil was definitely thick!! but the tranny fluid was red and clear! That made me happy :)

I think I'll throw the motor and tranny on Craigslist for $400.
Does that sound like a decent price or am I way out?

Ed Snyder May 24th, 2014 11:33 PM

You might be a little optimistic on your price. I've paid $50 for a running 305 and $100 for running 351s before. You'll probably get more for the transmission than for the engine. Jeep folks like the SM420s.

Might as well keep the Chevy hood since you're going with a Chevy engine.

nathankershaw May 25th, 2014 12:24 AM

Ahh cool.
Thanks for the heads up on the prices :)

nathankershaw May 26th, 2014 04:39 AM

Found a passenger side glass at the pick a part today.

My truck is now water tight!

No more duct tape passenger window. I think the neighbors are happier :)

charlie8297 June 3rd, 2014 07:37 PM

I am in the process of swapping out a 305E for a 350 as well. Make sure you find the right motor perches. The frame is pre-drilled for the correct ones. They are the same shape as perches you have on the 305E, but are longer and not as tall.

nathankershaw June 3rd, 2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie8297 (Post 53579)
I am in the process of swapping out a 305E for a 350 as well. Make sure you find the right motor perches. The frame is pre-drilled for the correct ones. They are the same shape as perches you have on the 305E, but are longer and not as tall.

Ahh excellent.
It'll be good to compare.

Where have you go to?
Build thread?

What tranny are you putting behind it?