6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Who says an old truck isn't practical? lol (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50388)

Jmclendon August 6th, 2018 04:27 AM

Who says an old truck isn't practical? lol

1 Attachment(s)
Just over 50 miles round trip, directly through the middle of Brisbane and back. All because the spit we bought was never going to fit in the little Golf.

Not a bad way to spend 2.5 hours (sadly, that's how long it took lol).

TJ's GMC August 8th, 2018 06:08 AM

Re: Who says an old truck isn't practical? lol

They are very practical. Driven mine 60 mile round trips many times this year at 55-60 mph. She's still kickin just fine. Pulling hills at full throttle with a load in the back at 60 makes for nice exhaust noise. lol

jbgroby August 8th, 2018 01:12 PM

I'm driving the wheels off of mine, each weekend I run her out to shows, hardware stores soda shops. She told me she gets lonely in the Garage all by herself........

Jmclendon August 9th, 2018 01:43 AM

How do y'all find your trucks handling short trips?

The reason why I ask is my old man doesn't seem to cope to well with being a daily driver to and from work..... it's only 5 minutes down the road if traffic is good, and half an hour of start/stop if it's bad. Hardly enough time to even warm him up with the former, and lots of idling with the latter.

fritz August 15th, 2018 11:15 PM

J/m When is the BBQ !! Glad you get some practical use out of your truck. I have a 60 4 x 4 with a 305. It does not set for more that a couple of days. Starts right up with no pumping. It does run better hot though. it lags going into 3rd so I have to rev the motor a bit hot of cold.

Jmclendon August 16th, 2018 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritz (Post 69546)
J/m When is the BBQ !! Glad you get some practical use out of your truck. I have a 60 4 x 4 with a 305. It does not set for more that a couple of days. Starts right up with no pumping. It does run better hot though. it lags going into 3rd so I have to rev the motor a bit hot of cold.

It was that weekend..... The plan had been to get the spit shipped to our door, but we ran out of time. The old man always seems to come through when it counts though LOL

Sadly, I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like to. The great thing about living close to work is it's less than a 10 minute drive if the traffic is good. The bad thing is 10 minutes isn't nearly enough for a decent run, and if traffic is bad it means sitting there idling for another half an hour or so.

It's getting to where I've started trying to plot a course to and from work that's specifically designed to give me a worthwhile drive. Which is not a thing I ever thought I'd have to do. New cars are just too convenient I reckon.

aphaynes August 18th, 2018 05:22 AM

With my wife's car in the shop, she has taken my car, so I have been driving Rusty every day this past week. He seems to have no issue with the 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back daily. I have taken him to several shows this past year that are an hour each way. Runs like a champ. I am currently considering a 4 hour drive for a show coming up in a couple of weeks. Still debating that one though.

Jmclendon August 24th, 2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 69551)
With my wife's car in the shop, she has taken my car, so I have been driving Rusty every day this past week. He seems to have no issue with the 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back daily. I have taken him to several shows this past year that are an hour each way. Runs like a champ. I am currently considering a 4 hour drive for a show coming up in a couple of weeks. Still debating that one though.

How did you go? More to the point, how was Rusty? Lol

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

FetchMeAPepsi August 30th, 2018 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmclendon (Post 69549)
It was that weekend..... The plan had been to get the spit shipped to our door, but we ran out of time. The old man always seems to come through when it counts though LOL

Sadly, I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like to. The great thing about living close to work is it's less than a 10 minute drive if the traffic is good. The bad thing is 10 minutes isn't nearly enough for a decent run, and if traffic is bad it means sitting there idling for another half an hour or so.

It's getting to where I've started trying to plot a course to and from work that's specifically designed to give me a worthwhile drive. Which is not a thing I ever thought I'd have to do. New cars are just too convenient I reckon.

Back when Cecilia had a gas tank I ran her on primarily 10-20 minute runs. she had no problems. The main problem we had was running out of gas with the gas gauge showing we still had 1/4 tank, haha.

But no, she had no issues. We loved every minute of it too. You get looks in an old truck. Even when they're in the shape mine's in. It's awesome.

aphaynes September 27th, 2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmclendon (Post 69571)
How did you go? More to the point, how was Rusty? Lol

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I chickened out on the 4 hour trip, but Rusty is still doing good. Have him with me at work right now. :)