6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New member - vin question (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48589)

Animal January 14th, 2015 02:56 PM

New member - vin question

Hi YA'LL
I'm new to the club! whohoo! Thank you for having me.

I have a 1965 step side and was triyng to find out more info on it by looking up the vin # . It has a plate above the drivers door whtch is the # on the title but i try to look it up and says no info, it is 12 numbers long. If this is not the vin where is it?and how in the **** could they regester it with this #?

I'm not new to these trucks I use to own a 66 short fleet side back in the day but this is my first GMC. Please any help would be greatly appreciated!
hope to hear from ya.

Animal

Andice January 14th, 2015 06:26 PM

Re: New member - vin question

That small number plate on the drivers door frame is the VIN.

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 07:53 PM

How about a pic or two? I'd like to see that plate. And the truck too! That way we can see what you see.

Animal January 14th, 2015 09:12 PM

I'm trying to upload a pic but it asks for url? how do I do that?

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animal (Post 56408)
I'm trying to upload a pic but it asks for url? how do I do that?

you're clicking on the wrong thing. To attach a picture you click on the little paperclip. If you have a picture from a different website, you click on the mountain and sun picture.

Try the paperclip. it'll work!

Animal January 14th, 2015 10:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok lets see if this works for pictures.

FetchMeAPepsi January 14th, 2015 11:11 PM

Aha! That's a chevy vin, not a GMC, that's my guess. You might have a chevy cab on it or someone lost the vin and just slapped a chevy vin from the junkyard on it. Either way that's not the original GMC vin. That's why it's not looking up.

6066gmcguy January 15th, 2015 01:47 AM

It should have roset rivets too, some one used a Chevy tilte and vin on this truck is my guess. the vin number should be something like 1001ZF12345A or if it has an inline six I1001zf12345A.

That vin tag is from a 1963 Chevy, so the cab does not match the number.

bigblockv6 January 15th, 2015 01:53 AM

I'm curious is the instrument panel and dash the GMC type or Chevrolet?

FetchMeAPepsi January 15th, 2015 02:22 AM

Dont think anything's wrong with that Animal. Somoene just did what they felt like they had to to keep it on the road. 99.99% of people think Chevy and GMC is the same thing from the 1930s to 2015. Thats not even close to right until 1978 if i remember right, but people cant imagine them ever being different trucks.

You could live with it and no one but about 40% of us in the club (plus you) would know. Call it a GMC and treat her well. As long as she has a big block GMC V6 in her I'll back you to my deathbed :thumbsup:

Or you can swap out the cab to a GMC. You'll need a engine hoist, a donor truck, and a buddy to help lift and settle it unless you're crazy like me. Then you gotta just say a prayer and start doin it, smashing toes and fingers with wild abandon. :lolsmack2:

She's a good lookin truck either way. Congrats on her!