6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Other Rides and Projects (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1946 chevy terrain master build (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48237)

BarryGMC June 29th, 2014 01:49 AM

Re: 1946 chevy terrain master build

Started making drive lines. There is no black magic involved. Cut the weld cut the tube. Set back up measure measure and measure again. Tack it up and check run out. .005 or less then weld it up. Check run out. Done. Some guys say have it balanced but I have never had a shaker. Simple. 30 minutes Max.

BarryGMC July 11th, 2014 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well not much to show. I made s drive line then got busy with work. I did get the drag link done. I will post s pic when I get back to town. I did decide to go with some 19.5 tires. I just can't resist the patina and coolness of the old wheels.

BarryGMC September 15th, 2014 04:26 AM

Well I slowed a bit here. It moves under its own power but I need to finish the brakes. Plus I got a ford. Its not much of a ford but it has been use full . I grabbed some steel for the bed and will start it after a roof project.

Vern September 18th, 2014 04:47 AM

Hey Barry, maybe a little off topic but the idea came to me looking at your build. The next big project I'd like to do is pull the bed off the 66 and clean up the frame. Is it feasible to use the engine cherry picker to lift the box and drive the truck away?

FetchMeAPepsi September 18th, 2014 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vern (Post 54777)
Hey Barry, maybe a little off topic but the idea came to me looking at your build. The next big project I'd like to do is pull the bed off the 66 and clean up the frame. Is it feasible to use the engine cherry picker to lift the box and drive the truck away?

Vern, that's what I did once I got a picker. I recommend putting a cross board in the back though because it'll pull the sides of the bed together as it raises since it's so dang heavy. Barry might have a better way though. :my2cents:

BarryGMC September 18th, 2014 05:20 AM

3 Guys and a 6 pack of beer. One beer before. Pic it up and move it. One beer after. 20 minutes drinking beer. 2 minutes of work. Best way. Barry

Vern September 19th, 2014 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 54778)
Vern, that's what I did once I got a picker. I recommend putting a cross board in the back though because it'll pull the sides of the bed together as it raises since it's so dang heavy. Barry might have a better way though. :my2cents:

OK, that's a great idea. Was thinking of selling my picker, but maybe I'll hold on to it now.

Vern September 19th, 2014 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 54782)
3 Guys and a 6 pack of beer. One beer before. Pic it up and move it. One beer after. 20 minutes drinking beer. 2 minutes of work. Best way. Barry

Beer makes everything better. Trouble is finding some suckers that would come out to help. By the way, Grandpa's rebuilt engine is purring along nicely.

Vernski September 19th, 2014 08:03 AM

I like the beer idea but things can get side tracked easily. I have bolt holes in the stake pocket for stake racks that I can tie the strap to, and yes a 2x4 across the rear of the box pick it up slowly one person can get the box off but putting it back in the right spot is not as easy, you need an extra body to help line up the bolt holes. I Like the 46 Barry that's a cool old truck Vernski...:thumbsup:

BarryGMC September 19th, 2014 01:51 PM

Vern glad you got it going. That's a good 292 and I am glad its getting used. Removing and installing beds is always fun. You don't want to damage anything.
Vernski thanks. That 46 has been fun to build. This fall I should have the time to get it done.